Old July 14th 05, 06:56 PM
MnMikew

"David" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:43:09 -0400, "lsmyer"
wrote:

This same statement could have been used about CB radio in 1980. By then,
the 70s CB craze was dead as disco, and sunspots made local CB use
impossible. So most people left the CB world and went elsewhere.

But CB didn't go anywhere. Vacationers and truckers still depend heavily

on
CB to find out about ever-changing road conditions, closings, safety
concerns, and speed traps. Even in this age of GPS and cell phones,

nothing
serves the same function as good old channel 19.

That paints a rosy view of the future...

David is awaiting the return of disco. :-)

Old July 14th 05, 06:56 PM
Michael Lawson

wrote:

This same statement could have been used about CB radio in 1980. By

then,
the 70s CB craze was dead as disco, and sunspots made local CB use
impossible. So most people left the CB world and went elsewhere.

But CB didn't go anywhere. Vacationers and truckers still depend

heavily on
CB to find out about ever-changing road conditions, closings,

safety
concerns, and speed traps. Even in this age of GPS and cell phones,

nothing
serves the same function as good old channel 19.

That paints a rosy view of the future...

Yep, shortwave is dying. Send all your radios to me.
I'll take care of them for you....

--Mike L.

Old July 14th 05, 07:20 PM
dxAce

wrote:

This same statement could have been used about CB radio in 1980. By then,
the 70s CB craze was dead as disco, and sunspots made local CB use
impossible. So most people left the CB world and went elsewhere.

But CB didn't go anywhere. Vacationers and truckers still depend heavily

on
CB to find out about ever-changing road conditions, closings, safety
concerns, and speed traps. Even in this age of GPS and cell phones,

nothing
serves the same function as good old channel 19.

That paints a rosy view of the future...

David is awaiting the return of disco. :-)

Disco has a better chance of returning than his sanity does!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 14th 05, 09:45 PM
RHF

"I" - Echo's of : Breaker Breaker "1" "9" er ~ RHF
. . . . .

Old July 14th 05, 10:08 PM
MnMikew

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
"I" - Echo's of : Breaker Breaker "1" "9" er ~ RHF
. . . . .

Ah 10-4 there RHF, I'll be on the side, catch ya on the flip-flop for sure
there good buddy. Might have to dig my ol CB rig out again.

Old July 14th 05, 10:15 PM
KA6UUP

scott wrote:
diminished international broadcasts...bpl coming....why bother with sw
anymore

Check out the "It Seems Too Us" in the Aug 2005 QST, Motorola and
Currents new non-interfering BPL technology
Old July 15th 05, 12:28 PM
Fred Garvin

Just to **** you off...

--
Chris: "Dad, what's a blowhole for?"
Peter: "I'll tell you what it's NOT for and then you'll know why I can

Old July 15th 05, 01:30 PM
KNRX

Ok, where do I start? Is there a guide somewhere? I was not a DXer
nor would I describe myself as a shortwave enthusiast in the past. I
just enjoyed listening to a few shortwave stations mainly for
information I couldn't get locally at the time. I have a friend who
enjoys plane-spotting. He goes to Logan Airport with a camera almost
everyday and gets excited when he sees a new plane or one in new
"colors" or strange markings. Is being a shortwave enthusiast a little
like that or is it more useful and less neurotic?

wrote:
Various large, AM broadcasters like BBC, Radio Netherlands, Radio
Vilnius, Radio Ukraine International, etc. You could also monitor
marine communcitions, aeronautical communications, amateur radio
operators, coast guard, military, MARS nets, and so on and so on. Take
your pick!

Steve

Old July 15th 05, 02:40 PM
Greg

From: "KNRX"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 15 Jul 2005 05:30:51 -0700
Subject: *** SHORTWAVE IS DEAD WHY BOTHER?????

Ok, where do I start? Is there a guide somewhere?

Yes, www.google.com

I'm not trying to be a smartass here. Do searches for military coms,
hurricane nets (very busy at the moment), utilities listening, or whatever.
You'll find some web sites with lots of info. You can quickly take the
paths that interest you, better than following a random list of links that
we might provide for you here.

I was not a DXer
nor would I describe myself as a shortwave enthusiast in the past. I
just enjoyed listening to a few shortwave stations mainly for
information I couldn't get locally at the time. I have a friend who
enjoys plane-spotting. He goes to Logan Airport with a camera almost
everyday and gets excited when he sees a new plane or one in new
"colors" or strange markings. Is being a shortwave enthusiast a little
like that or is it more useful and less neurotic?

You don't have to be neurotic to be an SWLer, but being neurotic helps if
you want to participate in this newsgroup!

Happy listening.

Greg

Old July 16th 05, 03:30 AM
m II

dxAce wrote:

Disco has a better chance of returning than his sanity does!

....and you've been patiently waiting, haven't you, you Dancing Fool...

Let's all sing along...

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,
I'm a womanly man, no time to talk.
Music bad and women worse,
I've been dumb enough
since I was born.

And now it's all right, it's OK.
And you may look the other way.
We can try to understand
the illegal war's effect on man.

Whether you're a sister or whether you're a mother,
you're stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Feel my brain a'breaking and everybody shaking,
and I'm stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' a bore.

Well now, I get low and I get high,
and if I can't get either, I really try.
Got the stink of beerfart on my shoes.
I'm a dancing womanly man and I can only booze.
You know it's all right, it's OK.
I'll live to see another gay.
We can try to understand
the illegal war's effect on man.

Whether you're a sister or whether you're a mother,
you're stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Feel my brain a'breaking and everybody shaking,
and I'm stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' a bore. Aah.

Life going nowhere.
Somebody help me,
somebody help me, yeah.
Life going nowhere.
Somebody help me, yeah.
I'm stayin' a bore.

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,
I'm a womanly man, no time to talk.
Music bad and women worse,
I've been dumb enough since I was born.

And now it's all right, it's OK.
And you can look the other way.
We can try to understand
the illegal war's effect on man.

Whether you're a sister or whether you're a mother,
you're stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Feel my brain a breaking and everybody shaking,
and I'm stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' a bore.

Life going nowhere.
Somebody help me,
somebody help me, yeah.
Life going nowhere.
Somebody help me, yeah.
I'm stayin' a bore.

Life going nowhere.
Somebody help me,
somebody help me, yeah.
Life going nowhere.
Somebody help me, yeah.
I'm stayin' a bore...

With no apologies to the Bee Gees whatever. I stopped buying when they went disco.

mike