Old July 17th 05, 02:34 AM
BDK

In article ,
says...
Of course not! Especially when I see that somebody from Nigeria and somebody
else from Bosnia is using my "supposed" account.
I guess they gave up on sending those "Greetings, I am Doctor Blah Blah
Blah" things that offer to let me launder their 5 million dollar
inheritance, if I will only give them my bank account number, routing
number, etc.
It looks like I lost out on that one. I better move much faster next time I
get one of those e-mails. What a good deal! The quick and easy way to file
bankruptcy. But wait................there's more!

Pete

"BDK" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
I already checked that website.............it appears they only take
PayPal,
so that option is out. I get so many fraudelant e-mails from PayPal
informing me about suspicious activity on my account. I don't have a
PayPal
account, so I will let it rest there.
The only other source is A.G. Tannenbaum, but they don't seem to answer
their phones.
Any other sources? Also, I did see those screws for the front panel, but
need to remove the whole assembly so I can work on the synthesizer.
It seems that the LO output from the VFO droops at the high end of the
tuning range. When I tune up above "800" on the mechanical dial, the
synthesizer goes out of lock. This is on all bands, when they kind of
work.
I believe that this synthesizer is a dual-loop hybrid vernier
synthesizer. I
just need to find out where the sampling point for the VFO is.
I do have a long Phillips head screwdriver, so I will pull it apart
today.
Hopefully, the top of the unit separates from the bottom; that is all I
need
to pull off.
Thanks for the info!

Pete

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message
1) You're on the wrong track taking the bottom screws out. Put them
back
in.
2) There are six screws holding the front panel on. You'll need a long
Philips screwdriver, 8" or more shaft, preferably with magnetic tip to
pull
the screws out. Without the service manual, you might be able to
figure
out
which ones they are (two are inside the battery compartment lid, but
the
others are harder to get to.)
3) Buy the service manual for $19.95 at
www.manualzone.com/. If you
own
this radio, you should have one.

This is a very service-hostile radio. If you do go through the trouble
take the front panel off, use that time to replace all of the bulbs.

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
How do I dissamble this unit? I was able to remove the back panel, and
have removed the screws from the bottom of the unit.
What I need to do is clean the frequency range switches. The PLL has
some
unlock problems, and the only way I can get at them is to take the
unit
out
of the case. Also, does anybody on this group have any kind of service
info
that they can scan and e-mail to me? I would be glad to pay for the
effort.

Pete

LOL, you think Paypal is sending those emails?

BDK

Good!

I do tech support and there ARE people who think these things are legit
messages! We had a woman try to open and then send a complaint to a
virus laden message from.."Tech support" every time a new copy came even
after I TOLD HER it was a virus, and to delete it, on two previous
calls! The first and second viruses were detected by Norton or whatever
and she was ok, but the last one nailed her PC and totally trashed it.

She calls again, all shakey, and I ask her why she tried to open it,
after I had told her we would NEVER, EVER send an attachment without
talking to her first, ever, period. I told her that an attachment flat
out made the message bogus, period, twice before. Just delete it. Then
she says, and I still can't believe she said this, "Oh GOD, I thought
you just meant for that month it was a bogus message if it had an
attachment!" Huh?? "No ma'am, ever, period, always.."

This same woman replied to one of the bank messages asking for her
account info. Sigh..

What does she do for a living??

College Professor, I verified it!

No wonder so many of my friend's kids are so scary dumb..

BDK
Old July 17th 05, 06:10 AM
Pete KE9OA

It is pretty uncanny how some folks can get tricked pretty easily. Whenever
I get those e-mails, I just use the "block sender" function and get rid of
them. If I get a string of those e-mails, I go to my provider's website and
report them as spam.
I do use Internet Explorer, but I disable active scripting, install on
demand, etc. If I do need to go to a website that uses Javascripting, I use
Mozilla Firefox 0.8. I did try the newest version of Firefox, but I
preferred the earlier version.
Now, about the radio....................I've got the PLL locking on all
ranges as long as I keep the VFO tuned below its highest frequency.
Too bad A.G. Tannebaum is closed on Fridays; otherwise, I would have ordered
the service manual. I don't think it will be more than another hour's work
to get the radio up and running.
An interesting thing about this radio...it uses a low priced Murata CFU-455J
(4-element) filter for the narrow bandwidth, while the wide bandwidth seems
to be a Toko transformer that has the ceramic filter integrated into the
structure. If the radio wasn't such a difficult unit to work on, I would
replace that filter with an 11-element unit such as a CFR455.
The radio is definite in the "just above toy" class, but it is a very nice
toy! It will be a keeper.

Pete

Old July 17th 05, 07:11 AM

All of them wimmins are gullible to computer spam and computers
viruses.You would think they have at least half a brain.But there is
nothing between their ears but peckers.
cuhulin

Old July 18th 05, 04:26 AM
mike maghakian

sounds like you have the white version, it is not as good as the orange
version starting with serial number 30,000

it is one of the most sensitive portables you will ever see.
I did a run off last year (or two ago) and published the results here and
they were amazing. the sony had a clear signal when other famous receivers
had mud !

Old July 18th 05, 05:53 AM
Pete KE9OA

I do have the white version...........I also have a couple of filters that I
can throw in, but I will keep it original. You never know who will want it
in the future.
It will be nice, once I get that final wrinkle worked out of it.

Pete

Old July 19th 05, 02:10 AM
Pete KE9OA

I found the problem with the radio. TC8, the trimmer capacitor for the low
end VCO range was cracked and wouldn't tune.
I looked at the parts list and all that was given was a Sony part
number.......no value in pF.
What a useless manual! At least it was only 25 dollars. If I knew what
value this cap was supposed to be, I would throw in a microwave trimmer
cap.....that is, if I could get all of that plastic for the bandswitching
mechanism out of the way.

Pete

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
I received the service manual. Now, on to the repair.............

Pete

"BDK" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
All of them wimmins are gullible to computer spam and computers
viruses.You would think they have at least half a brain.But there is
nothing between their ears but peckers.
cuhulin

Nah, just as many guys fall for it, she's just the only one I know of
that fell for the messages and the credit card stuff.

BDK

Old July 19th 05, 06:58 PM
C.R. Kuijer

Are you sure?
Pse check the amplitude on both inputs of the PLL circuit.
In both cases when locked and when lock is lost.
About 50% of the 2SC930 in this radio will have 50% reduced hFE.