Old July 16th 05, 08:34 PM
Nic. Santean

Default best shortwave portable ever ?

Hello All,

As the subject shows, my question is "What is the best shortwave portable
ever ?".

Nic.

Old July 16th 05, 09:15 PM
kk4tl

My vote - Sony 2010.
The 2010 is dead - long live the 2010.

Old July 16th 05, 09:24 PM
Volker Tonn

Nic. Santean schrieb:

Hello All,

As the subject shows, my question is "What is the best shortwave portable
ever ?".

Define 'portable 'and 'best'.

My NRD-525 in conjunction with a batterie and antenne for sure makes a
pretty 'fine' portable....
....surely not the 'best' though in whatever regard.

Portable by whom? A baby ? An athletic man?
What size? shirt-pocket-size? Portable in a handbag? Portable on a trailer?
External antenna connector is a big issue. But how to walk around the
block with a 50ft slinky antenna?

best in portability?
best in batterie consumtion?
best in sensitivity?
best in selectivity?
best in 'ergonomics'?
best in noise floor?
best in features?
best in sound?
best in SSB?
best for broadcast listening?
best for utility and amateur radio?
best in price?

Some of the likes exclude each other. So great selectivity with great
sensitivity allways results in much power consumtion....
Every good analog radio beats a pll-synthesized radio regarding
self-made noise floor
What ergonomicsdo you like best? tuning with up-down knobs or with a dial?
Too many features are a natural enemy of ergonomics.
So there is at least a handful of 'best' portables regarding of what
someone prefers most.
Among those is:
The Sony ICF-2010
The Sony 7600G and GR
The Sony SW77
The Sangean ATS-909
The Drake SW8
The Grundig/Eton SAT800
One of the Degen radios when it comes to the price.....

So PLEASE be more specific what YOU want!

Old July 16th 05, 09:28 PM
Nic. Santean

Define 'portable 'and 'best'.

The question is ambiguous for a reason: to be interesting. You have one vote
for one posting. Pick your favorite portable and vote. So far Sony ICF-2010
leads the way.

-- Nic.

Old July 16th 05, 09:34 PM
Nic. Santean

So PLEASE be more specific what YOU want!

P.S. I do want nothing. I have a Panasonic RF2600 (tabletop) and I am pretty
happy with it. I just want to grasp the state of the art in portable
receivers - without going into any detail.

-- Nic.

Old July 16th 05, 09:38 PM
Volker Tonn

Nic. Santean schrieb:

Define 'portable 'and 'best'.

The question is ambiguous for a reason: to be interesting. You have one vote
for one posting. Pick your favorite portable and vote. So far Sony ICF-2010
leads the way.

-- Nic.

Oh, one should 'vote'..... just another troll......
You should do some newsgroup search.
This question is asked every once in a while.

Old July 16th 05, 09:49 PM
Radio Ron

What is the "Qualification for best"?
TEchnology to dollar ratio?
Strict technical quality?
Greatest impact to a international listening audiance at a time when
SW was the ONLY mediem availale to axis nations? Or during the cold
war?

Yeah I am trolling... but with good cause as there does not seem to be
a lot left on SW to north america in English from world broadcasters.
If I (or you) were bi-lingual or tri-lingual from Asia or
Central/South America I would have a different question or answer.

The best portable for ME was a SONY CRF 5090.
I used this Sony extensively while serving in Southeast Asia. Great
sensitivity, excellent sselectivity and had a dial resoltion for
tuning that was pretty hard too beat for a slide rule tuning dial.
WWV, , Austrailian time signals at 12mhz as well as foreign
broadcaters of know frequency could be retuned pretty acurately. You
could extrapolate to within 25 KHZ with out to much difficulty.
That was before the time of digital readouts and just finding a
frequency plus or minus 100khz was almost unheard of on a portable.
ZenithTrans Oceanics and Juliette World band and others served well
too.

Sorry if this was not quite the direction you wanted the thread to go.
Your question was really pretty open ended!

Old July 16th 05, 09:50 PM
Nic. Santean

Oh, one should 'vote'..... just another troll......
You should do some newsgroup search.
This question is asked every once in a while.

I suppose this is one of the "every once in a while times".

I am not a troll. What are you talking about, you'nuts ?! I am a hobbist,
pretty good in RF electronics and quite fond of my hobby. I built my first
AM radio (7 transistors) when I was 7, for Pete's sake! When did you build
your first? A piece of advice: think before trying to offend somebody.

Nic.

Old July 16th 05, 10:26 PM
craigm

Nic. Santean wrote:
So PLEASE be more specific what YOU want!

P.S. I do want nothing. I have a Panasonic RF2600 (tabletop) and I am pretty
happy with it. I just want to grasp the state of the art in portable
receivers - without going into any detail.

-- Nic.

A receiver popularity poll is not going to give you an updateon the
state of the art. If that is what you are looking for, then just ask it.
You may get your answer sooner as 1) people will be reponding to what
you really want, and 2) you won't get labelled as a troll.

Not a lot has changed in the past several years. Synthesized radios have
become less expensive. There is more integration of function that
generally drives costs down. The market is dominated by imports from
China and Taiwan.

Skipping the detail really won't tell you much.

craigm

P.S. Say you want nothing and then adding "I just want" could be confusing.
Old July 16th 05, 11:07 PM

I don't know about the "best", but my personal favorite is the late
model Sony ICF-SW77.

Steve