Old July 16th 05, 08:34 PM
Nic. Santean

Default best shortwave portable ever ?

Hello All,

As the subject shows, my question is "What is the best shortwave portable
ever ?".

Nic.

Old July 16th 05, 09:15 PM
kk4tl

My vote - Sony 2010.
The 2010 is dead - long live the 2010.

Old July 16th 05, 09:24 PM
Volker Tonn

Nic. Santean schrieb:

Hello All,

As the subject shows, my question is "What is the best shortwave portable
ever ?".

Define 'portable 'and 'best'.

My NRD-525 in conjunction with a batterie and antenne for sure makes a
pretty 'fine' portable....
....surely not the 'best' though in whatever regard.

Portable by whom? A baby ? An athletic man?
What size? shirt-pocket-size? Portable in a handbag? Portable on a trailer?
External antenna connector is a big issue. But how to walk around the
block with a 50ft slinky antenna?

best in portability?
best in batterie consumtion?
best in sensitivity?
best in selectivity?
best in 'ergonomics'?
best in noise floor?
best in features?
best in sound?
best in SSB?
best for broadcast listening?
best for utility and amateur radio?
best in price?

Some of the likes exclude each other. So great selectivity with great
sensitivity allways results in much power consumtion....
Every good analog radio beats a pll-synthesized radio regarding
self-made noise floor
What ergonomicsdo you like best? tuning with up-down knobs or with a dial?
Too many features are a natural enemy of ergonomics.
So there is at least a handful of 'best' portables regarding of what
someone prefers most.
Among those is:
The Sony ICF-2010
The Sony 7600G and GR
The Sony SW77
The Sangean ATS-909
The Drake SW8
The Grundig/Eton SAT800
One of the Degen radios when it comes to the price.....

So PLEASE be more specific what YOU want!

Old July 16th 05, 09:28 PM
Nic. Santean

Define 'portable 'and 'best'.

The question is ambiguous for a reason: to be interesting. You have one vote
for one posting. Pick your favorite portable and vote. So far Sony ICF-2010
leads the way.

-- Nic.

Old July 16th 05, 09:38 PM
Volker Tonn

Nic. Santean schrieb:

Define 'portable 'and 'best'.

The question is ambiguous for a reason: to be interesting. You have one vote
for one posting. Pick your favorite portable and vote. So far Sony ICF-2010
leads the way.

-- Nic.

Oh, one should 'vote'..... just another troll......
You should do some newsgroup search.
This question is asked every once in a while.

Old July 16th 05, 09:50 PM
Nic. Santean

Oh, one should 'vote'..... just another troll......
You should do some newsgroup search.
This question is asked every once in a while.

I suppose this is one of the "every once in a while times".

I am not a troll. What are you talking about, you'nuts ?! I am a hobbist,
pretty good in RF electronics and quite fond of my hobby. I built my first
AM radio (7 transistors) when I was 7, for Pete's sake! When did you build
your first? A piece of advice: think before trying to offend somebody.

Nic.

Old July 17th 05, 01:06 AM
Volker Tonn

Nic. Santean schrieb:

Oh, one should 'vote'..... just another troll......
You should do some newsgroup search.
This question is asked every once in a while.

I suppose this is one of the "every once in a while times".

I am not a troll. What are you talking about, you'nuts ?! I am a hobbist,
pretty good in RF electronics and quite fond of my hobby. I built my first
AM radio (7 transistors) when I was 7, for Pete's sake! When did you build
your first? A piece of advice: think before trying to offend somebody.

I suppose you just put some parts of a kit together and surprisingly
enough got it working?
I can't go with this. It took me 16 before I designed(!) and built my
first (and sad enough the only one) SSB-capable radio with single parts
on my own designed and self made PCB. Before that I was into repairing
tube-radios and usualy made one working by plundering another one for
parts. It was not that easy to get enough old tube radios in that
hillbilly area where I lived when I was a kid. This was starting in the
late sixties at the age of 9 or 10 and transistors were quite rare and
expensive. Soldering prepared kits was much too easy so I can't remember
much of them. Although I put some of those kits of different kind
together in that time before I started my own projekt. "No money for
that playing and time waisting stuff" (as I'm the eldest of 7 children)
was a big handicap for me back then. So what's your point?
I started my education and profession as a plumber and heating installer
then and electronics is still *one* of my hobbies more or less since
then wich comes in right handy in certain situations when repairing
failing electronics on heating systems instead of just ordering a new
"module" or at least to get a system to run temporary until the new
module arrives some days later and preventing people sitting in a cold
house.
At least be aware that english is a foreign language to me and I'm out
of school for 29 years right now..... I'm living in Germany, so you may
answer in german? :-)

Old July 17th 05, 02:00 PM
DJ

ATS 909/ DX 398

Old July 17th 05, 02:29 AM
Unrevealed Source

"Volker Tonn" wrote in message

Nic. Santean schrieb:

Define 'portable 'and 'best'.

The question is ambiguous for a reason: to be interesting. You have one

vote
for one posting. Pick your favorite portable and vote. So far Sony

ICF-2010
leads the way.

-- Nic.

Oh, one should 'vote'..... just another troll......
You should do some newsgroup search.
This question is asked every once in a while.

Why are busting his balls? First, it's an interesting question that MAY
lead to interesting discussion, if it doesn't break down into immature
flaming. And even if it has come up "every once in a while", new people
join the group all the time and perhaps they would like to see this
discussion.

That said, of course the terms "best" and "portable" are subjective, but in
general most people understand what that means. My votes:

Best absolute performance: Sony ICF-2010
Best for the dollar (as average price on eBay): Sangean ATS-818 or ATS-803a
Best to have in your hands and tune through the bands with: Panasonic
RF-2200
Best desktop receiver that has handles and works on batteries: Sony
ICF-6800WA

Old July 17th 05, 02:39 AM
Volker Tonn

Unrevealed Source wrote :

... You have one vote for one posting. Pick your favorite portable and vote. So far Sony

That said, of course the terms "best" and "portable" are subjective, but in
general most people understand what that means. My votes:

You failed.
You only have one vote for one posting to answer this troll who is just
not able to ask questions right.