Old July 21st 05, 11:10 PM

I have "something else" that is "wireless"
cuhulin

Old July 21st 05, 11:11 PM
MnMikew

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"MnMikew" wrote in message
It would be more of an incentive for me to get my ticket if I could use

HF.
I have ZERO interest in CW. Maybe open a little HF for techs?

Already is a little of HF Phone open to techs.. segment of 10m as I

recall.

Humm, the band allocations and ITU regions are my weak points for the tech
test.

Old July 21st 05, 11:13 PM

When or if the big s... hits the fan,Shortwave is the ONLY communication
that will work,Period!
cuhulin

Old July 21st 05, 11:14 PM
John Smith

MnMikew:

I thought the goal here was to learn CW so that if ever we are
confined in a POW camp we can tap on the walls and have something to
pass the time with.

They probably won't give us books, cd's or let us watch movies
yanno!!! ROFLOL!

John

"MnMikew" wrote in message

"beerbarrel" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:40:38 -0500, "Count Floyd"
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:02:22 UTC, beerbarrel
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:21:35 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

The written test probably does as well. Should that also be
dropped.

If one can't learn even a minimum 5 WPM then they have no
business in

amateur
radio. 5 WPM is incredibly easy, heck, even the 'tards should
be able

to master
that.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

CW is not going to go away just because they drop the
requirement.
Like Steve says, It's not that hard. Most anyone can learn 5 wpm
in as
little as a month or less. I think that something worth having
is
worth earning.
That might have been true in Samuel F.B.Morse's time. Get real,
code
is an archaic leftover from the "old days" and has been used
merely as
a "stumbling block" to keep the hobby a closed society. In fact,
radio itself seems to be going the way of the dodo bird, what with
satellite, internet, etc. Code is about as useful as C.W. McCall'
song about CB radio back in the 70's. I am not sitting at a key,
wearing gaiters on my sleeves, a green visor and tapping out code
over
the air while the ship hits an iceberg. Come into the 21st
century
for Christ's sake. Should everybody go back to spark controls on
an
automobile? Attic fans and no A/C? McGuffey's Reader? Face it,
people, technology and now rules, have to move on. Of course, I
drive
a 1940 Chrysler, so what do I know!

CW is efficient because you only have to understand the signal
pattern
and not the signal audio. The narrow signal also takes up little
bandwidth. Not only does this make CW very efficient but also the
most
reliable form of communication for a person to use.

Perhaps. But efficiency dosent always equate to fun, which is the
goal here
isnt it?

Old July 21st 05, 11:15 PM
MnMikew

"John Smith" wrote in message
Well, 10 meters is pretty much the stomping grounds of freebanders
here. Some are none too polite either...

If there anything like the clods in rec.radio.cb I can understand.

Old July 21st 05, 11:16 PM
John Smith

dxace:

Most won't learn to knit, crochet or tat either!!!

Damn! They could make themselves some damn fine sweaters, slippers
and table cloths too.

Dumb flunkies anyway! ROFLOL!

John

"dxAce" wrote in message

MnMikew wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Carter-K8VT wrote:

dxAce wrote:

If one can't learn even a minimum 5 WPM then they have no
business in

amateur
radio.

Could you please explain why you say that.

Because it's so EASY, that's why 'tard boy..

If it's that easy then why test for it?

. and I don't really give a rats ass
whether or not you're a 20 WPM man anyway. Point is, if some
dumbass 'tard

isn't
smart enough to learn at least 5 WPM of code then he or she has
no damn

business
being in amateur radio.

There are thousands of techs who would disagree.

Of course they would! Many of them can't pass the code test. DUH!

A real no brainer.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 21st 05, 11:16 PM
MnMikew

"dxAce" wrote in message

MnMikew wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

"John S." wrote:

beerbarrel wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:29:37 -0400, Cmdr Buzz Corey
wrote:

John S. wrote:

Yes, or require that prospective drivers be proficient in the

use
of a
buggy whip in addition to passing a written and practical

driving
test.

If they are going to drive a buggy, it might be a good idea.

Maybe we should just drop the driving test altogether...well start
with your kids.

And that's the point. The written and practical drivers test is a
measure of whether a prospective driver knows something about the

law
and theory of driving and has some proficiency in the operation of a
motor vehicle.

The written amateur test proves that the owner has some knowlege of

the
theory of radio construction and operation.

The morse code test only tests the ability to translate a language

for
which there is no practical use. It does not shed any light on the
ability if the prospective ham to operate a ham radio in a safe and
courteous manner. A live on-the-air test of a prospective ham

setting
up a rig and using voice or one of the digital modes would prove
something about his competence as a radio operator.

Copying morse code proves nothing.

Sure it does you stupid 'tard... it proves one can do it!

Which proves????

I give up...

Be a lazy 'tard!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Code proficient.

You're sure not phone proficient.

Old July 21st 05, 11:19 PM
MnMikew

"dxAce" wrote in message
There are thousands of techs who would disagree.

Of course they would! Many of them can't pass the code test. DUH!

Many don't want to either.

Old July 21st 05, 11:20 PM
MnMikew

"dxAce" wrote in message
The majority of whom it would seem are to stupid or lazy or both to
take the time to actually learn something.

Talk about worn out arguments.

Old July 21st 05, 11:23 PM
John Smith

Tell me, what is/are a legitimate argument(s) to keep CW a
requirement, which any sane man/woman could argue with real and
logical conviction?

If such existed, I am sure it could be pressed into service and quite
well stop the removal of the CW requirement.

However, I think any argument posed would have "them", in the end,
considering the person posing the argument booked for a three day stay
in an institution and giving them a mental observation!

Anyone who still poses an "important argument" here and fails to make
others aware of the terrible travesty which is about to be committed
by the dis-continuance of the code requirement is a "TRUE FOOL!!!" and
should hardly be surprised when laughed at here...

John

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...
Unless the FCC operates very differently from other federal agencies
the fact that they are using a Notice of Public Rulemaking signifies
that they have pretty much made up their collective mind to go ahead
with abolishing the morse requirement.

I wonder if all of those against change have expended as much energy
writing to the FCC as they have repeating the same worn old
arguments
here on the news group.