Old July 30th 05, 06:23 PM

And them Indian (India) wimmins aren't bad looking at all either :{)
cuhulin

Old July 31st 05, 03:59 PM

And all that outsourcing from U.S.A.to India.I once phoned webtv about
something,the guy who picked up the phone was in India.I have a hard
enough time understanding yankees (I mean that in a nice way though) let
alone folks in India.I hung up my phone and waited a while,dialed again
and got a very nice lady in Vancouver,Canada.At least I could understand
what she was saying.
cuhulin

Old July 31st 05, 04:04 PM

Meanwhile,folks in U.S.A.whom had good paying jobs are flipping burgers
or greeting us in the wal mart stores.It is part of U.S.fed govt's
plan,selling us down the River and turning U.S.A.into a third World
Country.Open borders,Sewage in the streets in Long Island.
cuhulin

Old August 1st 05, 11:17 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lucky wrote:

It's a solid radio and you can appreciate it's quality in comparison
other Chinese
made radios.

That's good to hear.

I never had a Sat 800 or even listened to one, but from the couple people
who do own both say the E1 sounds much better then the 800 and they like
it
much better.

I don't find this hard to believe. The 800's sound is good, but some of
its predecessors certainly had better sound.

My few beefs are NO carrying handle. What were they thinking? If it's a
portable, how are you supposed to carry it around comfortably?

I think the trend is to classify receivers as 'portable' or 'tabletop'
based on their performance rather than their size. This is a misleading
use of the term 'portable', but it explains why a behemoth like the
S800 is called a 'portable' while a sleek little racehorse like the
HF-150 is usually termed a 'tabletop'.

Also, I would
have liked to see an adjustable stand on back of the radio for different
angles of viewing. You see the display can be adjusted for contrast, but
you
lose readability from certain angles.

This means you must manintain a certain line of sight setup so you can
read
it properly all the time especially the smaller print labels near the
very
bottom of the display. Or, you can just keep the radio in an upright
postition eliminating this slight oversight.

Now, there are only 2 little rubber feet towards the back of the radio to
keep it from slipping. Why they didn't put rubber on all 4 feet doesn't
make
sense. The cost must be under 1 cent when bought in bulk.

Hmmm. These do sound like slightly annoying shortcomings, but you can
probably find ways to compensate for them.

I need to run over to Rat Shack to pick up the Pal adapter so I can check
on
the sensitivity of the rig. ECSS is fine except for the 5 to 7khz offset
for
the stations I listened to.

I would be more concerned about this. I'd find out what this is about
before your 60 day trial period is up.

The double sync sideband works very well. It's
comparable to the Lowe 150s implentation of it but I would say the Lowe
does
a better job of it.

This doesn't surprise me, but the comparison is probably unfair to the
E1. Despite its hefty pricetag and its many features, I don't think it
was intended to rival receivers like the HF-150.

Aagin, I have only spent one night with it and didn't read the manual
completely yet. I was out all day on friday and was kind of tired when it
came to reading and comprehension of the info. I will read it all today
and
tomorrow. The manual also comes on a CD. Oh, they give you pre printed
return lables if you want to return the radio for almost any reason.

Here are your choices:

1] Defective
2] Unwanted gift
3] Quality
4] Changed Mind
5] Damaged
6] Wrong size
7] Wrong Color
8] Arrived too late {much too late
9] Not Item Ordered
10] Other reason and you explain why

So as you can see they give you 60 days and don't care why you don't want
or
like it. I'm very, very pleased with that. But, I looks like this is the
Sharper Image's policy only.

Ok guys, off I go soon to pick up the Pal adapter. Everyone have a safe
and
happy day.

Lucky

It's hard to argue with this return policy. If you decide not to keep
it, you should have no problems.

Steve

Hi guys!

OK, I finally picked up the Pal connector. My local Rat Shack was out of
stock and I didn't get a chance to get it all together till today. I used RS
part # 278-265B { F to Pal} which is the needed adapter and the other end of
it is a female coax. I would have had to use too many other adapters to get
a PL-259 or SO-239 going, so I just bought part #278-255B { Phono to F}
which is a male coax to RCA female plug.
Why? My antenna ends in a RCA male plug. I like it that way. If I want to
use a PL-259, I just add on my RCA to SO-239 and I'm all set for a different
radio.

The way I did it, you only need to use 2 adapters. The Pal, and the F to a
RCA jack. Plus, my balun ends in a male BNC, so I used a female BNC to
female RCA. Now I can just add the balun when needed in a snap. I like RCA
plugs. So easy to use.

I'll tell ya, this radio is very very good. The sync detector works like a
charm. The DSB {Double sideband} also is extremely good. Actually works. If
that doesn't do the job, just go USB or LSB sync.The PBT is excellent. It
can measured and adjusted in tiny increments till it sounds just the way you
like it. They did a great job here.

Add the bass and treble controls and the choices of 4 or 7 kHz bandwidths,
and you just have a superb setup. If you can't get this rig adjusted to your
personal liking, you have a problem not the radio.I tried external speakers
ONCE, but enjoy the internal speaker better so far. You get used to the
ergomonics pretty quickly just like any new radio.

Now, I thought perhaps the external antenna setup would fix the ECSS offset
problem completely, but it didn't. BUT, it's not off as much as it was.
Still, it's not a big issue. It may be that this radio is just more
sensitive.

I definitely recommend this radio for the true hobby enthusiast. Now, the
price is up there at $500, but you know what? I think it's worth it. Don't
forget you always have the option of using it as a satellite receiver also
if you ever choose to.

I think they should have made 2 models.
One for $350-$400 without the XM components and $550 for the XM model.
Why should I have to subsidize XM users needed parts if I don't want XM sat
radio?

That's the only catch with this radio. At least you don't have to buy the
$50 XM antenna if you don't want XM. Other then that, you'll really like it.
As a portable,
IT CAN'T BE BEAT. In fact, it's too good to take outside.

Tonight I'll do more sensitivity testing and fill you in. I'm liking this
radio more and more daily.

Lucky

Old August 1st 05, 11:26 PM
Lucky

"mike0219116" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Lucky for the observations. I am surprised that it ended up
being produced in India. I wonder what company is doing the assembly?

I'll probably end up getting one someday, but I still plan on waiting
for a few more productions runs (and perhaps a revision) before I get
one.

Anytime Mike.

I enjoy talking to and helping you guys out anytime. I remember how some
people in here were so nice to me when I first started out with newbie
questions. But they still replied to help me and I didn't forget that.

All it says is "assembled in India" and the manual states "Eton out of Ca."
is the manufacturer. I bet once word gets around about this rig from more
respected reviewers, it will sell good.
You'll get one you'll see.

And about wanting to wait for later production runs, you might have
something there. On the back of the radio on the left side of where the tilt
stand comes out, there is small circle covered with a tab of plastic that
can snap off. I couldn't find one word about what it is or what it does
anywhere in the docs.

But, one other user called Eton up about it and they say it was meant to be
the XM antenna port but was later redesigned.
So it's a useless hole/tab. But, I have a feeling it won't be removed
anytime soon.
My radio is the 122nd made.

Lucky

Lucky

Old August 1st 05, 11:48 PM

I would prefer to pay less without the satellite thingy.
cuhulin

Old August 2nd 05, 01:20 AM
rkhalona

Lucky wrote:

OK, I finally picked up the Pal connector. My local Rat Shack was out
of
stock and I didn't get a chance to get it all together till today. I
used RS
part # 278-265B { F to Pal} which is the needed adapter and the other
end of
it is a female coax. I would have had to use too many other adapters to
get
a PL-259 or SO-239 going...

Universal sells an adapter/cable that allows you to do this in a single
step:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...table/1052.jpg

(it's linked under their E1 product description)

RK

Old August 2nd 05, 01:40 AM
Lucky

"rkhalona" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lucky wrote:

OK, I finally picked up the Pal connector. My local Rat Shack was out
of
stock and I didn't get a chance to get it all together till today. I
used RS
part # 278-265B { F to Pal} which is the needed adapter and the other
end of
it is a female coax. I would have had to use too many other adapters to
get
a PL-259 or SO-239 going...

Universal sells an adapter/cable that allows you to do this in a single
step:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...table/1052.jpg

(it's linked under their E1 product description)

RK

Hi RK,

Wow, how neat is that. All I would need is a So-239 to RCA for when I wanted
to use the RCA plug or just unscrew it for normal operation. I saw a cable
listed when I first looked at the radio at Universal but didn't know what it
was cause I didn't know what a Pal connector was. Much thanks.

Lucky

Old August 2nd 05, 03:01 AM

Cuhulin, I'll have to go along with you on this one.

Steve