Old July 30th 05, 08:39 AM
Lucky

Default Got The Eton E1 Today

From first impressions only, I like it a lot.

SHOCKER. It's assembled in India NOT China.

The build quality is actually superb for a rig classified as a portable. The
sync detector work very well IMO but remember I've only used one night, a
couple hours now. It also has double sideband like the HF-150. The PBT on a
portable is really a nice touch. The thing that amazed me was how well it's
implemented. They really took their time to do this one right. I think it
will be a big seller for them even at 5 bills. Prices will probably drop $75
by the holidays. This is also because of the build quality. This doesn't
stink from a cheap China clone factory product. Once people realize it's a
very respectabl built rig, they'll buy it.

The sound quality is very good and clean.
A real pleasure for BCB so far. Being able to knock between 7khz and 4 is
nice and comes in handy.

The bass and treble controls work very well especially with the bandwidth
choices of 7/4/2.3. I can't comment on the sensitivity yet cause I don't
have a PAL connector for the external antenna. Don't know why they chose
such a adaption. I have my main antenna hooked up to the whip for tonight.
There is choice of "DX" which acts as active antenna to boost signals.

You can chose from internal antenna {whip} to ext ant. with side switches.
One for FM and one for HF. The case seems to be made of some type of hard,
but rubbery feeling material. I think it could handle a moderate drop. The
eronomics are good on the very front though the buttons seem a tad on the
tiny side. But, I found that the knobs like the volume and PBT, bass and
treble to not be as recessed as much as I'd like. Turning the knobs sides is
very easy but if the radios back stand is pulled out and it's rested tilted
up, you feel there is not enough debt to them. You do get used to it pretty
quickly but it irritated me somewhat.

The whip can be rotated at a 90 degree angle so the it can point straight up
when resting on it's back. What I didn't like was the whip wouldn't stay on
it's side or at a 45 degree angle. When I let go of it it fell all the way
to one side. Perhaps it can be tightened a little to keep in exact position.

Now I didn't go thru the whole manual yet, but in ECSS the frequency seemed
to be off like 7kHz.. It didn't zero beat on certain known local stations
here in Florida. I don't have that with my other rigs. Looking thru the
menus I can't find a offset for it. Only an offset for the time and clocks.
I have to look into this more.

The AGC has a slow/fast and Auto mode which keep the AGC in fast mode
between tuning so you don't miss weak signals. Too bad you can't turn it
off.

That's about for now. I need to spend more time with it and read the
complete manual twice before I can really give more observations. The only
thing that really bothered me was the ergonomics. They should have made sure
there was a 360 degree recess all around any knobs.
It's not like it's a tiny portable with little real estate to work with.

If this was priced at $300, it would fly off the shelves. But, I think since
it's considered a "sat radio", people have to pay for added XM components
that they don't need. Like I said before, I believe XMSR helped Eton out to
some degree with the quality of this radio.

I'll tell you one thing this makes one hell of a portable if you got the
energy to power it. They say many of the fuctions drain battery life more
then the others so.
It's a pretty big portable. It's man's tote!

Lucky

Old July 30th 05, 04:21 PM
SeeingEyeDog

"Lucky" wrote

SHOCKER. It's assembled in India NOT China.

I'm not surprised at all. Taiwan companies are now beginning to move their
factories out of China and into other countries.

Old July 30th 05, 04:36 PM
David

From first impressions only, I like it a lot.

Radio Shack has a Euro to F adapter.

http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp...search&S RC=1

Old July 30th 05, 05:24 PM

Will it pick up that radio station in Monticello,Mississippi in the
daytime from over here on the West side of Jackson,Mississippi where I
live.If not,I am not interested in that radio.Look in a Rand McNally
road atlatlas,Monticello isn't far from Jackson.Build a AM radio for
about $300.00 that will pick up Monticello from where I live without an
external antenna and I will gladly buy that radio.
cuhulin

Old July 30th 05, 05:29 PM
Lucky

"SeeingEyeDog" wrote in message
"Lucky" wrote

SHOCKER. It's assembled in India NOT China.

I'm not surprised at all. Taiwan companies are now beginning to move
their
factories out of China and into other countries.

Are you implying that the proceeds from this radio will still serve the CCP
unless the Taiwan manufacturer is under it's own control? This time they
have to pay rent and normal overhead like everyone else.

It's only assembled in India but of course the components must still be
Chinese. This is only my impression, but I think the workers in India crank
out a better product if only because they don't live under communism and
WANT to do their personal best. Their personal moral and attitude has to be
more cheerful, positive and geared towards producing a better product then a
forced slave, low paying laborer and it shows.

It's a solid radio and you can appreciate it's quality in comparison to
other Chinese
made radios.

I never had a Sat 800 or even listened to one, but from the couple people
who do own both say the E1 sounds much better then the 800 and they like it
much better.

My few beefs are NO carrying handle. What were they thinking? If it's a
portable, how are you supposed to carry it around comfortably? Also, I would
have liked to see an adjustable stand on back of the radio for different
angles of viewing. You see the display can be adjusted for contrast, but you
lose readability from certain angles.

This means you must manintain a certain line of sight setup so you can read
it properly all the time especially the smaller print labels near the very
bottom of the display. Or, you can just keep the radio in an upright
postition eliminating this slight oversight.

Now, there are only 2 little rubber feet towards the back of the radio to
keep it from slipping. Why they didn't put rubber on all 4 feet doesn't make
sense. The cost must be under 1 cent when bought in bulk.

I need to run over to Rat Shack to pick up the Pal adapter so I can check on
the sensitivity of the rig. ECSS is fine except for the 5 to 7khz offset for
the stations I listened to. The double sync sideband works very well. It's
comparable to the Lowe 150s implentation of it but I would say the Lowe does
a better job of it.

Aagin, I have only spent one night with it and didn't read the manual
completely yet. I was out all day on friday and was kind of tired when it
came to reading and comprehension of the info. I will read it all today and
tomorrow. The manual also comes on a CD. Oh, they give you pre printed
return lables if you want to return the radio for almost any reason.

Here are your choices:

1] Defective
2] Unwanted gift
3] Quality
4] Changed Mind
5] Damaged
6] Wrong size
7] Wrong Color
8] Arrived too late {much too late
9] Not Item Ordered
10] Other reason and you explain why

So as you can see they give you 60 days and don't care why you don't want or
like it. I'm very, very pleased with that. But, I looks like this is the
Sharper Image's policy only.

Ok guys, off I go soon to pick up the Pal adapter. Everyone have a safe and
happy day.

Lucky

Old July 30th 05, 05:32 PM
Lucky

"David" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 03:39:04 -0400, "Lucky"
wrote:

From first impressions only, I like it a lot.

[...]

Hi David

Thanks for that info. It helps to eliminate any potential hassles knowing
the part numbers. Have a good day!

Lucky

Old July 30th 05, 05:35 PM

I am not knocking Taiwan,but Sangean radios are made in Taiwan (do y'all
hear me? Art Bell and George Noory and Bob Crane,y'all bunch of chicken
feathers!,Idiots!,Morons!,Freaks,Queers!,Suckers!) and Sangean radios
are wayyyy over priced cheap a.. crap! I know,I once bought two of them
and I sent that wayyyyy over priced cheap a.. plastic crap! radios back
to Bob Doofus Crane in Fortuna,California.Bob Crane and Art Bell and
George Noory,Shove them Sangean's UP y'alls a...s Sideways,y'all pedlars
of wayyyyyy over priced cheap JUNK! Hey Art Bell,where are you,old boy
girl Minnie Pearl.(do tune in) NOT!
cuhulin

Old July 30th 05, 05:39 PM
mike0219116

Thanks Lucky for the observations. I am surprised that it ended up
being produced in India. I wonder what company is doing the assembly?

I'll probably end up getting one someday, but I still plan on waiting
for a few more productions runs (and perhaps a revision) before I get
one.

Old July 30th 05, 06:00 PM

Lucky wrote:

It's a solid radio and you can appreciate it's quality in comparison
other Chinese
made radios.

That's good to hear.

I never had a Sat 800 or even listened to one, but from the couple people
who do own both say the E1 sounds much better then the 800 and they like it
much better.

I don't find this hard to believe. The 800's sound is good, but some of
its predecessors certainly had better sound.

My few beefs are NO carrying handle. What were they thinking? If it's a
portable, how are you supposed to carry it around comfortably?

I think the trend is to classify receivers as 'portable' or 'tabletop'
based on their performance rather than their size. This is a misleading
use of the term 'portable', but it explains why a behemoth like the
S800 is called a 'portable' while a sleek little racehorse like the
HF-150 is usually termed a 'tabletop'.

Also, I would
have liked to see an adjustable stand on back of the radio for different
angles of viewing. You see the display can be adjusted for contrast, but you
lose readability from certain angles.

This means you must manintain a certain line of sight setup so you can read
it properly all the time especially the smaller print labels near the very
bottom of the display. Or, you can just keep the radio in an upright
postition eliminating this slight oversight.

Now, there are only 2 little rubber feet towards the back of the radio to
keep it from slipping. Why they didn't put rubber on all 4 feet doesn't make
sense. The cost must be under 1 cent when bought in bulk.

Hmmm. These do sound like slightly annoying shortcomings, but you can
probably find ways to compensate for them.

I need to run over to Rat Shack to pick up the Pal adapter so I can check on
the sensitivity of the rig. ECSS is fine except for the 5 to 7khz offset for
the stations I listened to.

I would be more concerned about this. I'd find out what this is about
before your 60 day trial period is up.

The double sync sideband works very well. It's
comparable to the Lowe 150s implentation of it but I would say the Lowe does
a better job of it.

This doesn't surprise me, but the comparison is probably unfair to the
E1. Despite its hefty pricetag and its many features, I don't think it
was intended to rival receivers like the HF-150.

[...]

It's hard to argue with this return policy. If you decide not to keep
it, you should have no problems.

Steve

Old July 30th 05, 06:13 PM
David

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:35:26 -0500, wrote:

I am not knocking Taiwan,but Sangean radios are made in Taiwan

Not all of them. Some are ChiCom.