Old August 3rd 05, 03:23 AM
Cmon nospam

No... use just gotta learn to use filters. Why is that so hard for most
people??

"Mike Terry" wrote in message

Why are there so few on topic postings on this newsgroup? Is shortwave

dying
like stamp collecting and other hobbies of the past?

Old August 3rd 05, 05:17 PM
John S.

Mike Terry wrote:
Why are there so few on topic postings on this newsgroup?

It's because there really isn't all that much new to be found on the
shortwave bands anymore. The information you find on BBC or China Radio
can also be found on the net , cable tv or on CNN. The program related
posts on this forum that generate the most excitement seem to be those
listing the latest station to abandon the shortwave spectrum. Otherwise
it's back to the fights about China politics, our verbally challenged
president, bodily noises and whether the Yaesu FRG7 or the Drake of the
same number was once the best radio of all time.

Is shortwave dying
like stamp collecting and other hobbies of the past?

I dunno, stamp collecting seems to be alive and quite well by
comparison. The USPS and its worldwide counterparts create something
new for collectors to collect almost every day. My wife has taken up
knitting again after a 30 year hiatus, and the forums she visits are
full of people actually talking about the hobby. Strange as it may
seem.

Old August 3rd 05, 05:25 PM
dxAce

"John S." wrote:

Mike Terry wrote:
Why are there so few on topic postings on this newsgroup?

It's because there really isn't all that much new to be found on the
shortwave bands anymore. The information you find on BBC or China Radio
can also be found on the net , cable tv or on CNN. The program related
posts on this forum that generate the most excitement seem to be those
listing the latest station to abandon the shortwave spectrum. Otherwise
it's back to the fights about China politics, our verbally challenged
president, bodily noises and whether the Yaesu FRG7 or the Drake of the
same number was once the best radio of all time.

The Drake R7 is still a mighty receiver. I use mine all the time.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old August 3rd 05, 05:38 PM

Mike Terry wrote:
Why are there so few on topic postings on this newsgroup?

It's because there really isn't all that much new to be found on the
shortwave bands anymore.

I must have an amazing setup, then. On most nights the shortwave bands
are literally bursting at the seams for me here in Brooklyn, NY.

The information you find on BBC or China Radio
can also be found on the net , cable tv or on CNN.

And, the information you find on the net, cable tv or CNN can also be
found in newspapers and magazines.

The program related
posts on this forum that generate the most excitement seem to be those
listing the latest station to abandon the shortwave spectrum. Otherwise

it's back to the fights about China politics, our verbally challenged
president, bodily noises and whether the Yaesu FRG7 or the Drake of the

same number was once the best radio of all time.

I sort of enjoy the receiver debates. Of all the receivers I've owned,
my favorite is definitely the Drake R8B. I haven't been lucky enough to
use an R7, but hope to have the chance one day. If another R7 ever
turns up on ebay and I have some money burning a hole in my
pocket....well, maybe...just maybe.

Is shortwave dying
like stamp collecting and other hobbies of the past?

I dunno, stamp collecting seems to be alive and quite well by
comparison.

Not according to Mike Terry!

Old August 3rd 05, 05:43 PM
dxAce

Mike Terry wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the postal authorites should drop the price of postage so that stamp
collecting does not die!

That would be somewhat akin to the FCC dropping the code requirement for an
amateur license.

Mustn't let our hobbies die.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old August 3rd 05, 05:52 PM
John S.

Mike Terry wrote:
Why are there so few on topic postings on this newsgroup?

It's because there really isn't all that much new to be found on the
shortwave bands anymore.

I must have an amazing setup, then. On most nights the shortwave bands
are literally bursting at the seams for me here in Brooklyn, NY.

But question asked why nobody posts about what they heard on BBC, CR,
Havana or what their latest DX catch was (on topic posts). Not whether
there are stations on the bands. If someone caught Radio Flyspeck
domestic broadcast at 1733 or heard some exciting news on the 2300
broadcast of Megawatt International it sure isn't appearing on this
forum. The only conclusion I can draw is that not much new is
happening other than the gradual dwindling of international
broadcasters.

The information you find on BBC or China Radio
can also be found on the net , cable tv or on CNN.

And, the information you find on the net, cable tv or CNN can also be
found in newspapers and magazines.

And that's the point - there are many many reliable anbd more timely
sources for information.

The program related
posts on this forum that generate the most excitement seem to be those
listing the latest station to abandon the shortwave spectrum. Otherwise

it's back to the fights about China politics, our verbally challenged
president, bodily noises and whether the Yaesu FRG7 or the Drake of the

same number was once the best radio of all time.

I sort of enjoy the receiver debates. Of all the receivers I've owned,
my favorite is definitely the Drake R8B. I haven't been lucky enough to
use an R7, but hope to have the chance one day. If another R7 ever
turns up on ebay and I have some money burning a hole in my
pocket....well, maybe...just maybe.

Sure talking about the receivers of old (and new) is fun - I enjoy it.
But there has to be more to the hobby than that. It is the equivalent
of people talking about their television set rather than what happened
on the 6:00 news and Jay Leno. What are people using shortwave
receivers for besides paper weights and room warmers.

Old August 3rd 05, 06:03 PM

John S. wrote:
wrote:
Mike Terry wrote:
Why are there so few on topic postings on this newsgroup?

It's because there really isn't all that much new to be found on the
shortwave bands anymore.

I must have an amazing setup, then. On most nights the shortwave bands
are literally bursting at the seams for me here in Brooklyn, NY.

But question asked why nobody posts about what they heard on BBC, CR,
Havana or what their latest DX catch was (on topic posts). Not whether
there are stations on the bands. If someone caught Radio Flyspeck
domestic broadcast at 1733 or heard some exciting news on the 2300
broadcast of Megawatt International it sure isn't appearing on this
forum. The only conclusion I can draw is that not much new is
happening other than the gradual dwindling of international
broadcasters.

I just posted last night about a numbers station I listened to, and
that turned out to be "The Czech Lady". Others recently posted about
Radio Tashkent, Radio Nigeria, Radio Belarus and CKZN in St. John's
Newfoundland. I'd say that's pretty good.

The information you find on BBC or China Radio
can also be found on the net , cable tv or on CNN.

And, the information you find on the net, cable tv or CNN can also be
found in newspapers and magazines.

And that's the point - there are many many reliable anbd more timely
sources for information.

Depends on what kind of information you have in mind, and what kind of
broadcast.

Old August 4th 05, 02:17 AM

About two years ago,I bought some old antique jewelry and inside of the
box that lady donated to the Goodwill store was a big thick old homemade
diary (or whatever it is called) with some old magazine clippings and
there are some old letters and stamps in there too.I still have that
stuff here.I collect all kinds of old things.
cuhulin

Old August 4th 05, 02:50 PM
David

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:46:46 +0100, "Mike Terry"
wrote:

Why are there so few on topic postings on this newsgroup? Is shortwave dying
like stamp collecting and other hobbies of the past?

It was a lot more fun during the Cold War (just like everything else).

Old August 4th 05, 02:53 PM

That propaganda bits got really, really old. I wouldn't go back to that
for anything.