Old August 7th 05, 08:20 PM
Unrevealed Source

For a collector, I could see $300, or MAYBE even $400. These two brand-new
ebay members have bid this up to over $500! No way this is real, or at
least these are not bids by people that know anything about the used radio
market.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Unrevealed Source wrote:
Sure looks like it. What would the play be here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

A few weeks ago they were going for around $200-$250, when a few were
up for auction at any given time. Then a week and a half went by with
none available, followed by two in excellent condition (this one being
practically new-look at the color of the pushbuttons). For a collector
of pristine equipment, I can see it. Not for anyone else.

Old August 7th 05, 08:28 PM
dxAce

Unrevealed Source wrote:

For a collector, I could see $300, or MAYBE even $400. These two brand-new
ebay members have bid this up to over $500! No way this is real, or at
least these are not bids by people that know anything about the used radio
market.

I just love it when someone sees shill bidding around every corner, under every rock and behind every
tree.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old August 7th 05, 09:12 PM
Frank Bals

$510 and no photo with the frequency display on? I would want to see it for
that kind of money.....

Old August 7th 05, 10:19 PM
Unrevealed Source

I believe the play here is that the shills bid it up, then the seller
contacts the next-highest bidder and offers to sell it off eBay (since the
high bidder "backed out"), for that seller's high bid. That way, there is
no PayPal buyer protection or negative feedback that can be left.

Old August 7th 05, 10:26 PM
Lucky

"dxAce" wrote in message

Unrevealed Source wrote:

For a collector, I could see $300, or MAYBE even $400. These two
brand-new
ebay members have bid this up to over $500! No way this is real, or at
least these are not bids by people that know anything about the used
radio
market.

I just love it when someone sees shill bidding around every corner, under
every rock and behind every
tree.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

I never, ever, ever will pay a radio off someone unless they take Paypal for
credit cards or just credit cards alone. If the person is honest, and knows
he has a good working radio, and he sees you have good feedback too, there
is NO reason he would be scared to take a CC.

It protects all parties except a scam artist.
Me like a dummy was so tempted by a new Lowe HF-250 last week, I was ready
to send off cash to some guy in Germany for it. Yes he had great feedback,
but as much as I wanted the rig, and even watched acution to completion, I
never bid on it.

So if they don't take a credit cards, and the radio is over $80, then no go.

Lucky

General Warning or Advisory/Tip about bidding on ebay. [email protected] Shortwave 12 June 1st 05 12:33 AM
Hallicrafters sx-9 Jay Boatanchors 26 January 27th 05 11:12 AM
example of foolish bidding in action [email protected] Shortwave 2 December 13th 04 09:21 PM
New Radio Mart Shill Lucky Shortwave 12 November 2nd 04 03:27 PM
99 Channel FRS on eBay - Interesting, thinking about bidding Greg Scanner 7 March 27th 04 05:38 PM