Old August 7th 05, 03:37 PM
Unrevealed Source

Default Shill bidding?

Sure looks like it. What would the play be here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old August 7th 05, 03:47 PM

I reckon I am too poor or too cheap (both) to bid.
cuhulin

Old August 7th 05, 05:48 PM
Hambone da Magnificent

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message
Sure looks like it. What would the play be here?

This one does not smell like a "shill-bid setup" to me.
More like a feeding frenzy as the R-1000 was not a
common radio (low production numbers) and the one
shown looks to be in near-mint and well kept.

Like most e-bay ham and related auctions
the price is way overblown. The most I would pay
for an Kenwood R-1000 would be $250 in mint
shape or $165.00 worn and well used.

Again, this don't look like a shill-bid situation.
The clear tipoff to a classic ham radio dealer
shill-auction is bids where 30% or more of
the total bids are "Undisclosed Bidders" on
the Bid History.

I would not touch ANY e-Bay auction that has 'undisclosed' bids
at any time with a 20' Lineman's Hotstick pole in rubber gloves.
Anyone who does is asking to be taken as such are RAMPANT
in the Ham Radio categories on e-Bay and are exclusively run
by ex-hamfest dealers who will steal you blind in a heartbeat.

Old August 7th 05, 06:06 PM
John S.

Unrevealed Source wrote:
Sure looks like it. What would the play be here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Several low/no feedback bidders are suspicious to me.

Old August 7th 05, 06:09 PM

I wouldn't touch it with a million mile long pole.
cuhulin

Old August 7th 05, 06:56 PM

Unrevealed Source wrote:
Sure looks like it. What would the play be here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

A few weeks ago they were going for around $200-$250, when a few were
up for auction at any given time. Then a week and a half went by with
none available, followed by two in excellent condition (this one being
practically new-look at the color of the pushbuttons). For a collector
of pristine equipment, I can see it. Not for anyone else.

Old August 7th 05, 08:20 PM
Unrevealed Source

For a collector, I could see $300, or MAYBE even $400. These two brand-new
ebay members have bid this up to over $500! No way this is real, or at
least these are not bids by people that know anything about the used radio
market.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 7th 05, 08:27 PM
Telamon

In article .com,
"John S." wrote:

Unrevealed Source wrote:
Sure looks like it. What would the play be here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=1&sspage nam
e=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Several low/no feedback bidders are suspicious to me.

I don't like the fact that one bidder has moved the price from $301 to
$510 by himself. This looks fishy.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old August 7th 05, 08:28 PM
dxAce

Unrevealed Source wrote:

For a collector, I could see $300, or MAYBE even $400. These two brand-new
ebay members have bid this up to over $500! No way this is real, or at
least these are not bids by people that know anything about the used radio
market.

I just love it when someone sees shill bidding around every corner, under every rock and behind every
tree.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old August 7th 05, 08:33 PM
dxAce

Telamon wrote:

In article .com,
"John S." wrote:

Unrevealed Source wrote:
Sure looks like it. What would the play be here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=1&sspage nam
e=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Several low/no feedback bidders are suspicious to me.

I don't like the fact that one bidder has moved the price from $301 to
$510 by himself. This looks fishy.

Not hard to do. You'd have to read up on how the bidding process works.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

General Warning or Advisory/Tip about bidding on ebay. [email protected] Shortwave 12 June 1st 05 12:33 AM
Hallicrafters sx-9 Jay Boatanchors 26 January 27th 05 11:12 AM
example of foolish bidding in action [email protected] Shortwave 2 December 13th 04 09:21 PM
New Radio Mart Shill Lucky Shortwave 12 November 2nd 04 03:27 PM
99 Channel FRS on eBay - Interesting, thinking about bidding Greg Scanner 7 March 27th 04 05:38 PM