Old August 28th 05, 02:26 PM
dxAce

Default Hurricane Hunter

Hearing a phone patch at 1318 on 13927.1 from one of the Hurricane Hunters. A
crewmember of TEAL 64 was calling home. Said already made several passes into
Hurricane Katrina and it was getting worse. Stated that they would probably make
one more penetration before heading to Houston.

That may explain why TEAL 55 was over Texas yesterday. My guess is that they
probably evacuated their aircraft out of Mississippi since Katrina may track
there.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old August 28th 05, 03:48 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

Hearing a phone patch at 1318 on 13927.1 from one of the Hurricane Hunters. A
crewmember of TEAL 64 was calling home. Said already made several passes into
Hurricane Katrina and it was getting worse. Stated that they would probably make
one more penetration before heading to Houston.

That may explain why TEAL 55 was over Texas yesterday. My guess is that they
probably evacuated their aircraft out of Mississippi since Katrina may track
there.

Winds have now increased to near 175 MPH.

http://www.hwn.org/atlantic/hapt32us.htm

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old August 28th 05, 04:17 PM

Gee Wizzzz,175 miles per hour,Hurricane Katrina? I am glad I live in
Jackson,Mississippi.I am pretty well sure the hotels and motels in the
Jackson metro area are all full up by now.Let us Pray that New Orleans
makes it through OK.
cuhulin

Old August 28th 05, 04:28 PM

You are P...y ensential over there at Keesler Air Force Base.
cuhulin

Old August 28th 05, 05:04 PM
Les

dxAce wrote:
Hearing a phone patch at 1318 on 13927.1 from one of the Hurricane Hunters. A
crewmember of TEAL 64 was calling home. Said already made several passes into
Hurricane Katrina and it was getting worse. Stated that they would probably make
one more penetration before heading to Houston.

That may explain why TEAL 55 was over Texas yesterday. My guess is that they
probably evacuated their aircraft out of Mississippi since Katrina may track
there.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Yeah, they flew the Hurricane Hunters Squadron at Keesler A.F.B. out
ahead of the expected hit in this area.

I am "Mission Essential," so will be there from 4pm this afternoon for
the duration it seems. I'll be in the Civil Engineering EMCS bunker. My
family is safe in Florida.

New Orleans will probably disappear in many areas as they are below sea
level.

Les Locklear
Monitoring since ' 57
Located on the Gulf of Mexico
Bendix R-1051B/URR
Hallicrafters SX-62A
Hammarlund SP-600JX-14
Kiwa Modified Icom R75
RCA CR-88A
http://www.hammarlund.info/homepage.html

Old August 28th 05, 05:26 PM

Les Locklear,,,,, Now,I KNOW! YOU are DUMB! This isn't Ohio,or wherever
you are from.
cuhulin

Old August 28th 05, 10:41 PM
SeeingEyeDog

Just an FYI:
Medium wave station WWL AM 870 is the designated Emergency Radio Station for
the New Orleans area.
Should be interesting to listen with call-ins and should be easy to hear in
the Midwest and beyond after sunset.

Old August 28th 05, 10:50 PM
dxAce

SeeingEyeDog wrote:

Just an FYI:
Medium wave station WWL AM 870 is the designated Emergency Radio Station for
the New Orleans area.
Should be interesting to listen with call-ins and should be easy to hear in
the Midwest and beyond after sunset.

I just wonder how long they might be able to stay on. Anyone know exactly where
their transmitter site is, and whether it might be prone to some very serious
flooding?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old August 29th 05, 04:24 AM

I know exactly where Barataria Blvd is.There is a shopping mall out that
way and some residential areas and businesses and the usual stores and
gas stations and blah blah blah.It is a very nice area out that way.I
suppose it is a lot more built up nowdays than when I was there about
ten years ago.I have a cousin who lives in Gretna,just across the
Mississippi River from New Orleans.He and his folks are in Jackson now.
cuhulin

Old August 29th 05, 04:26 AM

The population of Jackson has doubled because of the folks who have came
to Jackson,getting away from Hurricane Katrina.I am staying put.
cuhulin