Old August 30th 05, 04:20 AM

Default WWL 870 Super Strong in Wisconsin

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:17:31 -0500, "delphi4"
wrote:

Damn good answer... too bad he wasn't here asking me something.

I gather your dick woukd have exploded, chump.

"patgkz" wrote in message

On another related topic: While watching FOX News TV yesterday....did
anyone else hear Shepherd Smith told "it's none of your fu**'ing business"

Old August 30th 05, 04:30 AM
Tony Meloche

Michael wrote:
"patgkz" wrote in message

Last nite before Katrina hit, WWL was floudering in here at S-7 to
S-9.....tonight, a different story.

Now booming in at steady +10dB.

Audible here in NJ with the R75 and 200' "Frankenstein" Roof wire. Though I
need to listen in LSB to cut out intermod from 880 WCBS just above.

20 over 9 in SW Michigan at 03:30 UTC. R-75, 155' longwire.

Tony

Old August 30th 05, 05:50 AM
Buzzygirl

"patgkz" wrote in message
Last nite before Katrina hit, WWL was floudering in here at S-7 to
S-9.....tonight, a different story.

Now booming in at steady +10dB.

Heard them pretty well tonight at around 02:30. Just using a KA-1102 off its
whip.

Jackie

Old August 30th 05, 12:57 PM
SeeingEyeDog

"Tony Calguire" wrote

Does anybody know when they eventually came back up, and what the story
was?

In my sleep stupor I heard the announcer this Tues. morning at around 5AM
Central state that they had enough diesel fuel to run generator power for
another 24 hours and that he didn't know how they were going to be able to
deliver more. He didn't say if he was referring to the studio or the
transmitter power. Mentioned he and staff sleeping on the floor but will
carry go on.
Many mention of people's cell phone batteries going dead about now and no
power to recharge.

Old August 30th 05, 01:09 PM
John S.

patgkz wrote:
Last nite before Katrina hit, WWL was floudering in here at S-7 to
S-9.....tonight, a different story.

Now booming in at steady +10dB.

Maybe all that water surging into the area juiced up their antenna
efficiency?

On another related topic: While watching FOX News TV yesterday....did
anyone else hear Shepherd Smith told "it's none of your fu**'ing business"
by a person he was interviewing. Smith asked a street-person why he was
walking his dogs in the middle of a CAT-5 hurricane........good answer, I
guess!

Yes, they are booming into Virginia as well. It's an understatement to
say there's a lot of confusion among both rescuers and the rescued in a
situation like that. And a lot of frustration on the part of residents
who can't even get to the remains of their homes for at least a week.
I'm tempted to say if anyone is caught looting or stealing under those
circumstances they should be taken out back, given a 5 minute trial and
shot.

Old September 3rd 05, 12:42 AM
SeeingEyeDog

Recently read that the WWL transmitter site has a one month fuel supply.
If the generator can hold out that long!
After that it's pffft.

Old September 3rd 05, 02:54 AM
Brenda Ann

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
8...
On Fri 02 Sep 2005 08:35:03p, "Brenda Ann" wrote in
message :

"SeeingEyeDog" wrote in message
Recently read that the WWL transmitter site has a one month fuel
supply. If the generator can hold out that long!
After that it's pffft.

I'm betting not. WWL is an important regional resource, and I'll wager
that when they begin to run low of diesel at the transmitter site that
they'll be able to get more diesel delivered to the site somehow. I do
know that diesel is being delivered to buildings in downtown New
Orleans. I gather from the fact that WWL is still on the air that the
site is above water and accessible (the engineers have been and gone
since the storm).

I wouldn't worry about running out of fuel, as certainly they would be
able
to get a resupply within a month. I would be more concerned about the
actual
generator running 24x7 for a month without suffering some mechanical
failure.
Unless it's not just a stand-by generator and is one of the more robust
ones.

*broadcast engineer hat on*

They don't usually bother with 'back up' generators. They install ones that
are good for the long haul. At KBOO, a 19,000 watt station, we had a 100KW
generator installed at the transmitter site. A commercial one, built to run
for 10,000 hours MTBF. Also sure they have a preventative maintenance
schedule to keep it in top shape. Easy enough to have silent times during
the wee hours to do the maintenance.

Old September 3rd 05, 12:51 PM
Brenda Ann

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
8...
On Fri 02 Sep 2005 09:54:09p, "Brenda Ann" wrote in
message :

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
[...]

And may I say, That looks absolutely "Jaunty"!

They don't usually bother with 'back up' generators. They install ones
that are good for the long haul. At KBOO, a 19,000 watt station, we had
a 100KW generator installed at the transmitter site. A commercial one,
built to run for 10,000 hours MTBF. Also sure they have a preventative
maintenance schedule to keep it in top shape. Easy enough to have silent
times during the wee hours to do the maintenance.

Then they probably have enough for a bit of HVAC and maybe hot-water too
(even if it's from the microwave in the breakroom). I hope they have good
locks on sturdy, steel doors!

We (we actually shared the transmitter shack with 5 other stations) even had
a nice little room where we could stay at the shack in bad weather. Fully
outfitted with food, water (running and bottled), refrigerator, microwave,
television, the works.

Old September 4th 05, 02:32 AM
matt weber

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:26:00 -0700, John Rethorst
wrote:

In article ,
"patgkz" wrote:

Last nite before Katrina hit, WWL was floudering in here at S-7 to
S-9.....tonight, a different story.

Now booming in at steady +10dB.

Maybe all that water surging into the area juiced up their antenna
efficiency?

How did their antenna survive the storm?

The didn't. WWL is now broadcasting from somewhere else.

Old September 4th 05, 02:45 AM
Brenda Ann

"matt weber" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:26:00 -0700, John Rethorst
wrote:

In article ,
"patgkz" wrote:

Last nite before Katrina hit, WWL was floudering in here at S-7 to
S-9.....tonight, a different story.

Now booming in at steady +10dB.

Maybe all that water surging into the area juiced up their antenna
efficiency?

How did their antenna survive the storm?

The didn't. WWL is now broadcasting from somewhere else.

Their towers and transmitter site did survive the storm. They are
broadcasting from a different studio location (LSU?)