Old September 3rd 05, 04:46 PM

The old Ripley,Mississippi fleamarket is so olddddddd (it dates back to
1893) that in it's early years,they didn't allow wimmins on the
premises.It is about ten million miles wayyyyyyy up North in Mississippi
from me here in Jackson.I haven't been up there in a Coon's age.
cuhulin

Old September 3rd 05, 04:48 PM

Take a two wheel dolly with you on those radio hunts to haul the big
ones off.
cuhulin

Old September 3rd 05, 06:42 PM
Michael Lawson

"Rob Mills" wrote in message

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message

because they don't know what they have.

You've got it. I live in a medium sized city and am retired so time

isn't a
problem and I probably hit 20 sales and find nothing but there is

gold at
the 21'st. In the last four or five years these are some of the

items I can
recall picking up at estate sales. McKay Dymek DA 5 $10, National

NC140 $1,
Sony 7600a $5, DX 380 $8, Sony 2001 $15, DX 394 $30, DX160 $10, MFJ

949
tuner $5, GE Super 1 $2, B&K 1801 freq counter $10, Simpson 260 $5,

Mantis
tiller (looked like it was used once or twice) $30, Delta 16' scroll

saw
(still in box) $30.

I know the above sounds like a fairy tale but it's the gospel. There

is not
a dog in the above, I did have to use the deoxit on the DX160 but it

looked
like someone used it for a year or two and put it in storage, there

was not
a scratch or blemish on it. RM~

PS, Most of the above came from non-professional ran estate sales,

most of
the pro's price things plumb out of sight but every once in awhile

they slip
up.

I think you guys are right about what can be found.
We ended up at 7 yard sales (one was a street sale,
so 4 in one fell swoop), and I found a few interesting
items in the others, but the last one I scored a PRO-2035,
a couple of CB radios (one with SSB) and a Sony ICF-9650
AM/FM radio for $40 total. The Sony needs a little
work on the board, and I need to scrounge up some stuff
(like an antenna) to get the CBs operational, but in general,
I could have done worse. They were asking $20 for a pair
of Optimus Pro-7's, but I really didn't need one at the time.

No shortwave radios, but I'm sure that I'll survive.
When I finally get the Sony fixed, I'll probably give
it to my son (4 yo) and put it in his room, so he has
some music in there. As long as he doesn't decide
to play with the power cord....

--Mike L.

Old September 3rd 05, 08:22 PM
Rob Mills

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message

I think you guys are right about what can be found.

Now you can expect to go to another 20 or 30 sales and find nothing then
BINGO you'll hit one again. Just like a kid at an Easter egg hunt.

You will find more scanners that SW's because more people seem to have
scanners, they just don't seem to know any better.RM~

Old September 3rd 05, 09:41 PM
D Peter Maus

Jim Hackett wrote:
That's better than my best. Picked up a Hammarlund HQ 170 for $15 but I had
to drag it away MYSELF!

Well, I DID have to hold the door for him.

Still, that Hammarlund, for $15, is a better deal by the pound.

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message

Jim Hackett wrote:

...and then there is the Flea Market which I go to twice a week. I am
dissapointed if I don't find at least 1 killer deal on a shortwave every
other weekend...

Like the pair of NC-88's I bought at the Greenwood Flea Market in
Louisiana 16 years ago. $3 the pair and the guy put them in the car for
me.

"Michael Black" wrote in message

"Michael Lawson" ) writes:

I'm planning on tagging along with my wife when
she goes to some yard sales this weekend. I have
to admit that I'm not a big fan of these things, but
I figure that if I can at least poke around to see
if anything electronic shows up, it can't be all
bad.

My question revolves around the receivers that you
see on eBay; a majority of them seem to have come

from either an estate sale or yard sale at some point.

Would I have any luck hunting around a yard sale
for a piece of shortwave equipment, or would my
time be better spent going the estate sale route?

I've been going to garage sales for at least a decade, and
if I've ever seen a shortwave receiver, it wasn't memorable.

If you think about the number of shortwave listeners to
the general population, that's a starting point. If few
have them, then they will be far between at garage sales.
Subtract those who are savvy enough to know the channels
to get a good return when selling a shortwave receiver,
and you've thinned out the field considerably. What remains
will be slim, spread over all the garage sales that do happen.

What you find at garage sales are common items. That popcorn
machine that someone bought (or was given) which they never
used (much), and they want to get rid of it; they aren't all
that concerned about getting much money for it. You will find
uncommon items, but not in any quantity and it may take years.
I've seen one CD-I player, and I think only one laserdisc player
(which I was tempted to buy when I saw it two years ago, but there
were no laserdiscs with it).

If you're lucky, someone will put in their advertising that they have

the

sort of thing you really want; but that's because they have a real

interest

in the thing so they feel it's worthy of mention or they have a cluster

of

them. They want to lure people to their sale, and use what they
have.

What you will find is the common items. So you can pick up a good
set of small speakers to attach to your shortwaver receiver (this
is an incredibly common thing, and they aren't all junk but usually
are cheap). You can find all kinds of amplifiers to power them. A
great selection of AM/FM tuners, both analog and digital. All the
car radios you could ever want. Computer equipment galore (I finally
found a 56K external modem for five dollars a month ago, and ironically
the next week found another for twenty dollars, yet if I've seen them
before they carried a large enough price to move on, and that's been

some

years). If you're looking for common items, it makes sense to buy them
at garage sales (usually things do work, but if they don't, you've not
spent much on them), and then use the savings to buy things you can't
find at garage sales.

Garage sales are an excuse to get out early on Saturday mornings in
the summer, to enjoy being out. Finding things you need, or would
like, is like icing on the cake, and the fact that you will find
them at good prices makes it even better. You can go a week, and
find nothing that interests you (it is amazing how much clutter
we all accumulate, and how uninteresting it can be to others), and
then get a day when you've got a bunch of things at great prices.

If people are really reselling things on Ebay, likely they are
doing the sales on a really massive basis. Getting out as early
as possible, every weekend, and getting to as many as possible.
By sheer magnitude, they come across the less common items, and
since they get to plenty they know how uncommon it is to find
such items. If you don't buy it then, you may not stumble on
another, for a few years or even forever.

Also remember it makes sense to hit the sales that are clustered.
If one street is having multiple sales the same day, that means
you can hit more with the same amount of time, rather than spending
the time getting to the next sale. While it has faded, a few years
back some groups, like schools and the YMCA, held what amounted
to fleamarkets, though they called them "community garage sales".
Individuals would rent a table from the group, and then sell whatever
they wanted to get rid of. Like the street sales, this gets a bunch
of different sellers into a small space, and again mean you spend
less travelling time.

Not to be forgottten, though again I've never found shortwave
receivers (or scanners for that matter) are rummage sales put on
by churches and Rotary Clubs and schools. Since the items are donated,
the groups may be most interested in making sure it's all gone by
the end of the day (so they don't have to clear it out afterwards),
so they may not have as high prices as when individuals sell off things
they know the original price of.

Michael

Old September 4th 05, 12:39 AM
Jim Hackett

I don't know about that. In spite of the fact that it works, I was REAL
disapointed to see that the plastic over the clock had a crack in it

Old September 4th 05, 01:58 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Jim Hackett wrote:

I don't know about that. In spite of the fact that it works, I was REAL
disapointed to see that the plastic over the clock had a crack in it

You might be able to find a replacment cover if you ask on:
news:rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors or

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old September 6th 05, 05:30 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Buzzygirl wrote:

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
ink.net...
...and then there is the Flea Market which I go to twice a week. I am
dissapointed if I don't find at least 1 killer deal on a shortwave every
other weekend...

I've found radios at local garage sales, but none of them worked and I don't
know enough about how to fix them that I would buy them, even for a couple
of bucks.

Jackie

What part of the country are you in that you see these radios?
Someone might want them who can repair them.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida