Old September 3rd 05, 10:58 PM
Telamon

Default Signal to noise in re.radio.shortwave

The signal to noise level has been very high the past few weeks but
hopefully it will settle down now that we are almost in the back to
school season.

The regulars might want to reassess responding to the Trolling faction
as it has, in my opinion, suppressed any new responsible people joining
the news group. The number of posts of new people asking where else can
they go for SW radio information and not hearing from them again should
be a clue that the growth in new responsible posters has not increased
but the trolling faction has certainly increased.

Lately the news group has even descended to the pathetic point of
threatening bodily harm over Usenet.

I'm not sure the news group can recover to even the appearance of on
topic discourse as the Trolling faction appears to have reached
critical mass. In other words there is enough Trolling idiots carrying
on amongst themselves that this could be an indefinite state of affairs
in the news group even if all the regular on topic posters were to
ignore them, which they don't.

Statistically the news group has moved from about 1/3 off topic to
about 1/2 and now for the last few weeks about 2/3 of posts are off
topic but that's not all. The usual political ranting has turned more
and more toward disgusting sexual innuendo, racism, threats and really
nasty flaming.

I find it psychologically interesting that people, which otherwise have
an interest in the short wave radio would want the news group to
deteriorate to this level.

I rationally can't expect that NEW people or the thin skinned would
want to post here if the wide majority of posts are flaming,
threatening, foul and off topic. I figure that many of the people
that lurk here for information have also left.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 3rd 05, 11:18 PM
Stagger Leechildraper

Telamon wrote:
The signal to noise level has been very high the past few weeks but
hopefully it will settle down now that we are almost in the back to
school season.

The regulars might want to reassess responding to the Trolling faction
as it has, in my opinion, suppressed any new responsible people joining
the news group. The number of posts of new people asking where else can
they go for SW radio information and not hearing from them again should
be a clue that the growth in new responsible posters has not increased
but the trolling faction has certainly increased.

Lately the news group has even descended to the pathetic point of
threatening bodily harm over Usenet.

What color is the sky on your world, stupid?

I'm not sure the news group can recover to even the appearance of on
topic discourse as the Trolling faction appears to have reached
critical mass. In other words there is enough Trolling idiots carrying
on amongst themselves that this could be an indefinite state of affairs
in the news group even if all the regular on topic posters were to
ignore them, which they don't.

Then use a killfile and quit whining.

Statistically the news group has moved from about 1/3 off topic to
about 1/2 and now for the last few weeks about 2/3 of posts are off
topic but that's not all. The usual political ranting has turned more
and more toward disgusting sexual innuendo, racism, threats and really
nasty flaming.

I find it psychologically interesting that people, which otherwise have
an interest in the short wave radio would want the news group to
deteriorate to this level.

I rationally can't expect that NEW people or the thin skinned would
want to post here if the wide majority of posts are flaming,
threatening, foul and off topic. I figure that many of the people
that lurk here for information have also left.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

OB Shortwave: It's terrible how SW is going the way of the dinosaur
with stations cutting back or completely eliminating their on-air
broadcasts. Some have moved to the web for the broadcasts, but I miss
the day when you could hear the BBC or many other stations quite
regularly at almost any time of day.

Old September 3rd 05, 11:20 PM
uncle arnie

My frequency of visits to this NG is down to a couple of times per week from
daily.

I've been spending the summer nights with the old standbys of RN and BBC-WS,
with Radio Australia in the mornings. We had lots of northern lights last
night and RA wasn't its usual clear signal this a.m. I've never been
completely clear on the relationship. Sometimes it seems to disrupt N-S
signals and leaves E-W untouched. I was picking up home improvement advice
from somewhere east (sounded American) on 570 MW at ~ 1100 UTC , they
started playing music when an ad was expected and the dog wanted out, so
never did pin it down. I've been getting some good MW dx at night,
including KSL Salt Lake City, Vancouver and Seatle, St Louis. I think I
should be able to get Chicago and Minneapolis if I looked for them. I
haven't typically chased MW, but occasionally it's interesting to spin the
dial.

Old September 3rd 05, 11:56 PM
Telamon

Well, it depends on the band along with conditions. Australia and New
Zealand were both weaker than usual on the 15MHz band but New Zealand
was stronger than usual on 11,820. Last night during a G2 event they
were S9+10dB peaking S9+20dB. They are usually S9. I went to bed so I
don't know about Australia later than that but I would expect the same
thing when they changed to 9,580 in the early hours of the morning my
time.

Old September 4th 05, 01:57 AM
Michael Lawson

"Telamon" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure that things'll slow down a bit a month or so
after Katrina. People will probably get tired of the
same old arguments, and move on to other off topic
postings.

--Mike L.

Old September 4th 05, 05:43 PM
Michael Black

CalAmp ) writes:
On Sat 03 Sep 2005 05:58:07p, Telamon
wrote in message
:

The signal to noise level has been very high the past few weeks but
hopefully it will settle down now that we are almost in the back to
school season.

The hypocracy of Telemon, as displayed here, is a bit humorous! He just
participated in said "noise" in another thread. Any standing he may have had
in criticizing anyone else for off-topic posting was surrendered at that
point (not to mention numerous other points as well).

I've not been following because I do tune out the junk posts.

But it can sometimes be very hard to not respond when people routinely
post off topic junk. Because the off-topic becomes the norm, so you
post without thinking.

As so often is the case after some big event, the newsgroups are loaded with
off-topic discussion of the hurricane. I've caught myself a number of times
as I'm about to post a reply, and then realize that no matter how much I'd
like to discuss some of it, I will not reply where it doesn't belong.

I've seen mobs in operation, and it takes a certain awareness and even
willpower to step back and not be a participant. The first time I noticed
it happening, I was all set to run with a bunch of other people, and
realized just as I started what was happening. The next time it happened,
I was fully aware, so didn't move one bit. But oddly, it was a really
weird position to be in, and I very clearly saw why it was easier to follow
the mob than to not be a part of it.

SOme of what is happening here is a mob mentality. Something has
become so common that it's difficult to stand back and not get sucked
into it.

The only way to fix it is to speak up (since just standing there while
the mob moves on in a newsgroup doesn't show you still there but not
posting), in the hopes that it will trigger others to realize what is
going on, and to resist too. And yes, once enough get rid of the mob
mentality, it will be easier to get rid of the junk posts.

Michael

Old September 4th 05, 06:57 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
uncle arnie wrote:
Telamon wrote:

The signal to noise level has been very high the past few weeks but
hopefully it will settle down now that we are almost in the back to
school season.

My frequency of visits to this NG is down to a couple of times per week from
daily.

I've been spending the summer nights with the old standbys of RN and BBC-WS,
with Radio Australia in the mornings. We had lots of northern lights last
night and RA wasn't its usual clear signal this a.m. I've never been
completely clear on the relationship. Sometimes it seems to disrupt N-S
signals and leaves E-W untouched.

For RA, it seems that the worst signal comes when it's local midnight
at the transmitter. 6020 and 5995 are coming in better here (Seattle),
lately, than 9580/9590. (But the Catholic station in the Philippines
still stomps on 6020 from 12:30-14:00). 5995 was 20 over s9 at 14:00,
declining down to only tolerable at 16:00.

Mark Zenier

Old September 5th 05, 12:04 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Telaman wrote:

On Sun 04 Sep 2005 12:43:18p, (Michael Black)
wrote in message :

CalAmp ) writes:
On Sat 03 Sep 2005 05:58:07p, Telamon
wrote in message

om:

The signal to noise level has been very high the past few weeks but
hopefully it will settle down now that we are almost in the back to
school season.

The hypocracy of Telemon, as displayed here, is a bit humorous! He just
participated in said "noise" in another thread. Any standing he may
have had in criticizing anyone else for off-topic posting was
surrendered at that point (not to mention numerous other points as
well).

I've not been following because I do tune out the junk posts.

But it can sometimes be very hard to not respond when people routinely
post off topic junk. Because the off-topic becomes the norm, so you
post without thinking.

All too true and there's absolutely no harm in it. However, you (unlike
Telemon) do not make it a habit of net-copping folks who join in on the
discussions. You have nothing to worry about, as you are both reasonable and
prudent. Telemon, on the other hand, exposes himself for the utmost derision
by his overt, indefensible hypocracy. Pardon me while I chuckle at his
expense.

Do this again and I will send a complaint to your provider. It's uncool
to make it look like I posted this. You want to make a jerk of your self
then stick with a handle so people can kill file you. You are over the
line and this is the only warning you will get chuckles.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 5th 05, 02:37 AM
Beerbarrel

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:37:59 GMT, TelamAn
wrote:

On Sun 04 Sep 2005 07:04:18p, Telamon
wrote in message
:

wrote in message :

CalAmp ) writes:
On Sat 03 Sep 2005 05:58:07p, Telamon
wrote in message

y.c om:

[...]

It's quite simple.
The usenet alias you use:
Telamon --
lid

The usenet alias I use:
TelamAn --
lid

I trust you can see the difference. I can guarantee you that filters and
killfiles can see the difference. Also, I make it clear who I am by
including a signature with a valid email address. There can be *no* mistake
by a reasonable and prudent person.

If you want, I'll contact my ISP and complain about myself for you. I'll
even CC you on the message - presuming that is your *real* email address.
Would you like me to do that so I can make absolutely sure you don't have
anything else to whine about?

Also, there's nothing wrong with two guys aliased as

and
posting. Now, are you asserting that I'm infringing
on some frivolous patent you claim to hold? Bear in mind that I can alias
myself as humpty-dumpty, Santa Claus Or telaman if I want to. I could also
use Telamon, but I would rather there be a clear distinction. Neither am I
under any obligation to assist you with your filtering or killfile
integrity. You are on your own for that. What I have *NOT* done is forge
the path, NNTP-posting host, Message-ID, or NNTP-posting date. Those are
no-no's. If I forged those, that would be an ISP violation. Though, if I
forged all of those, no-one would be able to tell where the message
originated, so it would be a moot exercise.

Otherwise, ISP's don't generally get involved in flame-wars between two
knuckle-heads (which we both certainly are with this issue).

Now, if you are done whining and if you care to admit you are a hypocrite
and that you contribute to Off Topic posts (as I documented above) like you
too readily complain others do, I'll never rat you out again, or say
another word about it (on my honor). However, I rather doubt you have the
personal integrity or character to admit it. You are more the type to
sucker-punch someone and run away, rather than face them head-on. I believe
I've already established that as well.

Spank you very much,

Your pal,

j d

Hahahaha....too funny!

'Crackling' Noise on HF Band RadioGuy Shortwave 7 April 20th 05 01:04 AM
Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM
signal to noise ratio drops on connecting the antenna Ashhar Farhan Homebrew 0 September 18th 03 04:51 PM
Automatic RF noise cancellation and audio noise measurement JGBOYLES Antenna 25 August 11th 03 01:07 AM
CCIR Coefficients METHOD 6 REC533 // AUCKLAND --> SEATTLE http://CBC.am/ Shortwave 0 July 16th 03 08:21 AM