Old September 6th 05, 06:42 PM
Michael Lawson

Default Fall Activity

With the end of Summer (yeah, right, given it's supposed
to be close to 90F by the weekend here) upon us, has
anyone any goals for the upcoming winter SWL listening?

-Testing out a new antenna/receiver?
-Puttering around on a boatanchor?
-Hunting down an elusive DX catch?
-DXpedition to someplace?

Personally, I'll be doing some recapping of the
SX-100 that I bought at Dayton, and will be getting
some last listening on the old 50' random wire before
I have to shorten it considerably next year to get
an oak tree planted in the yard.

On a non-shortwave note, I'll be reacquainting myself
with scanners as well. Although the Hamilton County
and Cincinnati police and fire entities are on a digital
trunked system, there's still plenty to listen to with a
non digital trunked scanner.

--Mike L.

Old September 6th 05, 07:40 PM
dxAce

Michael Lawson wrote:

With the end of Summer (yeah, right, given it's supposed
to be close to 90F by the weekend here) upon us, has
anyone any goals for the upcoming winter SWL listening?

Yes, to pry a few QSL's out of a few stations that don't seem to respond
readily.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old September 7th 05, 12:20 AM
Buzzygirl

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message
With the end of Summer (yeah, right, given it's supposed
to be close to 90F by the weekend here) upon us, has
anyone any goals for the upcoming winter SWL listening?

I'm going to try to put up some sort of random wire along my (wooden)
balcony, to see if I can pick up more DX I think better winter propagation
should help things along somewhat as well, though.

I'm also a scanner listener-- we have a few trunked systems online, but
they're mostly county public works departments with little in the way of
truly interesting conversation. Most of the active freqs in my area are
still in the VHF-150 and UHF-450 ranges. I have a Pro-95 and a Pro-83. I
live in a large metropolitan area, so there is always something interesting
to listen to around here.

Jackie