Old September 23rd 05, 08:24 AM
Keith and Phil at AussieSeek.com Political Message

Default SCOTLAND the BRAVE

Why is This ?

tsyia said

Scotland the Brave ?

A UNITED Nations report has labelled Scotland the most violent country
in the developed world, with people three times more likely to be
assaulted than in America.
England and Wales recorded the second highest number of violent
assaults while Northern Ireland recorded the fewest.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...786945,00.html

Old September 23rd 05, 11:00 AM
Andrew Oakley

On 23 Sep 2005 00:24:22 -0700, "Keith and Phil at AussieSeek.com
Political Messageboards" wrote:

Why is This ?
A UNITED Nations report has labelled Scotland the most violent country
in the developed world, with people three times more likely to be
assaulted than in America.
England and Wales recorded the second highest number of violent
assaults while Northern Ireland recorded the fewest.

It's historical. Great Britain (the big UK island; England, Wales and
Scotland but not Ireland) was warred over by various different
European tribes for several thousand years before the arrival of the
Normans (French) in 1066AD which pacified England (England had been
previously pacified by the Romans from around 50-400AD but the Romans
withdrew to southern Europe to defend their empire against the Turks
and Vandals from around 300AD). The native UK tribes (such as mine,
the Britons, and others such as the Celts, Danes or Angles) were
pushed back into Wales and Scotland. England is *relatively* flat and
easy to push armies across; Wales and Scotland are very, very hilly
and difficult to march over.

In short, warlike behaviour was beneficial for natives' survival.

The whole of the UK also suffers from raging alcoholism and
alcohol-fuelled violence which is seen as socially acceptable. Again,
this is a throwback to tribal culture where drinking to excess was
seen as a strength. From an evolutionary standpoint, high alcohol
consumption was advantageous in tribal warfare since it allows the
drinker to fight on through pain. This became less of an advantage
when warfare switched from tribal raids to organised armies; it's
useful to fight drunk when in a tribal raid and hand-to-hand combat,
it's not useful to fight drunk when trying to stick in formation, ride
horses or fire arrows at a target.

It should be noted that the Scots tribes continued to kick the
French/English arses well into the 1600s. Hand-to-hand fighting in
drunken unpredictable rabbles remained a very successful tactic in
hilly areas, until the widespread use of firearms meant that drunken
raiders could be picked off from a safe distance.

Much the same tribal drink/violence culture was also seen in
Scandinavia (Viking) and German countries.

All in all, probably a good idea we insist Brits have a background
check before getting a firearms licence.

As for Northern Ireland, this is something that as a Brit I tend to
avoid commenting on, since we've already cocked it up enough.

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com
Gloucestershire, UK
Old September 23rd 05, 04:02 PM
bpnjensen

Andrew Oakley Wrote:

The whole of the UK also suffers from raging alcoholism and

alcohol-fuelled violence which is seen as socially acceptable. Again,
this is a throwback to tribal culture where drinking to excess was
seen as a strength.

I think it's all those beer-battered deep-fried candy bars they eat.

Bruce Jensen

Old September 23rd 05, 04:15 PM
Andrew Oakley

Some corrections...

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:00:06 +0100, Andrew Oakley
wrote:
previously pacified by the Romans from around 50-400AD but the Romans
withdrew to southern Europe to defend their empire against the Turks
and Vandals from around 300AD).

Sorry, got my tribes confused there. It was the Goths, not the Turks.
The Turks were involved in the fall of the Roman Eastern Empire
(Byzantium and Constantinople/Istanbul) in the 1400s; it was the Goths
who spearheaded the fall of the Roman Western Empire in the late 300s.

The native UK tribes (such as mine, the Britons, and others such
as the Celts, Danes or Angles)

And by "native" I mean "nearer than Rome". The Danes and Angles were
relative newcommers when compared to the Britons and Celts. The Angles
arrived around 200BC in the form of the Belgae, got knocked into shape
when the Romans arrived and popped up again as the Anglo-Saxons in the
400s; the Danes (Vikings/Norse) followed in the late 500s.

Whereas us Britons had been there for thousands of years (pretty much
since the end of the ice age around 10,000BC), the Celts since about
900-500BC (the Celts probably arrived from Spain). Anything beyond
500BC is a bit difficult to trace, though. Us Britions were still
shagging sheep and worshiping the Sun whilst the Egyptians were
working out the value of Pi, so it wasn't like we were clever enough
to write anything down.

Old September 23rd 05, 05:26 PM

And tell us why Scotland is really Ireland and Ireland is really
Scotland.Yep,I know about that too.
cuhulin

Old September 23rd 05, 05:25 PM

Now give us a rundown on the Scottish Picts.I already know about that,do
you?
cuhulin

Old September 23rd 05, 05:23 PM

But,but,but,Andrew,, it is only the crazy American "Cowboys" whom are
crazy and violent,,, now isn't that right?
cuhulin

Old September 23rd 05, 04:59 PM

Which is really the most violent,the u.n.(www.devilfinder.com
Michael New) or the countries the article mentions?

www.politicalwire.com/aggregator Blackwater Down.(scroll down for
the article)

www.chuckbaldwinlive.com (Chuck's
Archived Essays,Speeches,and Columns) China Preparing For War and Few
Notice.

Some
people think China is our friend,but they are Very,Very mistaken
thinking that.Some people think fed govt is our friend,but they are

Old September 23rd 05, 08:22 PM
Keith and Phil at AussieSeek.com Political Message

Its the combination of booze and the coppers not cracking down more on
guns

Aye, people with guns
Ban the Booze or Ban Guns?

Angus

Old September 23rd 05, 09:12 PM

Neither one can be banned here in Mississippi.Even the kids have booze
and guns.
cuhulin