Old September 25th 05, 08:38 PM
Les

David wrote:
On 25 Sep 2005 11:20:40 -0700, "Les" wrote:

Yes, cigarettes are bad for your health, but I've not seen any radios
of the 50's 60's tube era that were "damaged" by smoke/nicotine.
Hammarlund SP-600's and R-390 series receivers were literally covered
with a golden brown coating of nicotine and continued to work in spite
of it.

Cuhulin, you actually need to get an antenna and a real shortwave
receiver and then study real hard before you unleash those two peas
that rattle around inside your malformed skull.

Les Locklear
Monitoring since ' 57
Located on the Gulf of Mexico
Bendix R-1051B/URR
Hallicrafters SX-62A
Hammarlund SP-600JX-14
Kiwa Modified Icom R75
RCA CR-88A
http://www.hammarlund.info/homepage.html

The deposits are bad for switch contacts and deadly on Daven step
attenuators used widely in old-fashioned mixing desks. Also very bad
on tape heads.

Where do you find tape heads and daven step attenuators on a shortwave
receiver? Oh, I know that some portables have a tape recorder unit, but
I'm talking a "real" shortwave receiver?

All of you idiots need to find another hobby or a job that keeps you
busier.

Old September 25th 05, 09:36 PM
homepc

I'd be careful with the ammonia.

I have read other posts saying that cleaning with Windex removed some of the
stenciled labels on the face of the radio. I don't know if plain vinegar
and water may be safer.

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message
Daniel J. Morlan wrote:
Was wondering if anyone here has had any experience removing smoker's
odors from a used radio? I won an auction for a Radio Shack DX-398, and
I had originally sold mine to pay some bills. I was ecstatic to have
won, and am STILL ecstatic to have "my" radio back, and here it will STAY
for all time. Just it stinks like it was used for an ashtray. Was
considering putting it in an airtight container with baking soda... (No
baking soda ON the console or anything, mind you... Just sharing a large
container with a cup of it harmlessly to the side.)

Regards,

Daniel

The "sealed in a bag with baking soda" idea can't hurt, and may indeed
help - I would think it would take several days. Before you do that, mix
up a solution of ammonia and warm water. Wring the cloth out
*thoroughly*, and wipe down the radio as well as you can - this will not
hurt it. You may even want to do it twice. If the water turns a faint
yellowish color, you are getting rid of most of the source of smell right
there. Follow that with a fresh solution of baking soda in water.
Remember to always wring the washcloth out very thoroughly. Then, if you
wish, follow up with the baking-soda-in-a-bag idea. The combination
should greatly diminish - if not eliminate completely - the smell. And as
someone else wrote, just plain "time" will help, too.

Tony

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old September 26th 05, 12:48 AM
Tony Meloche

homepc wrote:
I'd be careful with the ammonia.

I have read other posts saying that cleaning with Windex removed some of the
stenciled labels on the face of the radio. I don't know if plain vinegar
and water may be safer.

I'd never use an ammonia/water solution that was very strong, or
scrubbed in vigorously, but I have been using that on every kind of
plastic case for years and have had no problems at all. I did stress
that the rag must be wrung out thoroughly, but I should have stressed
that it should be a mild solution to begin with, yeah.

Tony

Old September 27th 05, 05:53 AM
m II

Les wrote:

All of you idiots need to find another hobby or a job that keeps you
busier.

Taking lessons from the dxAce book of manners? Why? You are smarter than
that.

mike