Old October 22nd 05, 06:16 AM

Default Moon Bounce

Ahhhhh,there isn't anybody watching me at all.I am fixin to cut the
light and get my beauty sleep.I need to do some work on my house today
and rig up my longggggg two piece plastic pipe handle for my tree saw.
cuhulin

Old October 22nd 05, 06:23 AM
SR

That's amazing. Who thought about doing that? Who invented that idea?
Did the Russians ever found out?

SR

SeeingEyeDog wrote:

Before satellites became available for eavesdropping the moon was used to
listen to the USSR.

"SR" wrote in message

The last few evening the moon was almost full and the evening sky was
fairly clear here in New York. I then transmitted on my CB but no DX
only locals.

I read something somewhere that mention about Moon Bouncing. Meaning
that a signal can travel far. But I am not sure if that is true.

73 SR!

Old October 23rd 05, 06:02 AM
matt weber

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:33:19 GMT, (Mark Zenier)
wrote:

In article , SR wrote:
The last few evening the moon was almost full and the evening sky was
fairly clear here in New York. I then transmitted on my CB but no DX
only locals.

I read something somewhere that mention about Moon Bouncing. Meaning
that a signal can travel far. But I am not sure if that is true.

It's a VHF and microwave thing. You actually illuminate the Moon
with enough power that another station back on Earth can pick up
the reflection. But that requires an antenna that can focus most
of your power on the Moon, a target only 1/2 degree across. Hams,
with 1 kilowatt, can get morse code and slow digital signals (on the
higher bands).

I believe it was first done in the 6 meter band in the 1950's/

Before satellites the Defense Department was able to send several
teletype channels at at time, maritime mobile. That was with a big dish
and probably 10's of kilowatts. (The best description of using that
equipment, that I've seen, was in a description of the incident where the
USS Liberty, the radio intelligence ship, was attacked by the Israelis.
In the Atlantic Monthly about 10-15 years ago, as I remember).

Yes, but that wasn't moonbounce, it was tropo scatter. YOu can only
use Moonbounce when the moon is visible to both ends. Troposcatter
works just about anytime, anywhere. The change in permittivity at the
top of the toposphere will actually bounce a tiny portion of the
microwave signal back down quite reliably. You can get about 600
miles that way. But you need the sort of big dish, and tens of
kilowatts to do it reliably. Only the military could really afford to
use it.

Old October 23rd 05, 09:23 AM
Brad

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message
The USS Liberty is said to have had moonbounce capability. The moonbounce
antenna is supposed to have been one of the distinctions seperating it
from
the Egyptian ship the Isrealis said they thought they were attacking.

The large parabolic antenna in the picture, pointing straight up, seems to
be that moonbounce antenna.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...00/u123118.jpg

Frank Dresser

Isn't the internet a constantly amazing resource? By crikey, there is not a
thing you cannot find on it!

Brad.

Old October 23rd 05, 09:25 AM
Brad

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

The large parabolic antenna in the picture, pointing straight up, seems to
be that moonbounce antenna.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...00/u123118.jpg

Frank Dresser

You know, that could just be the position the antenna is parked. It might be
a bit of an assumption that the moon is straight up! ;-)

Brad.

Old October 23rd 05, 03:20 PM
Frank Dresser

"Brad" bradvk2qq AT w6ir.com wrote in message

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

The large parabolic antenna in the picture, pointing straight up, seems

be that moonbounce antenna.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...00/u123118.jpg

Frank Dresser

You know, that could just be the position the antenna is parked. It might

be
a bit of an assumption that the moon is straight up! ;-)

Brad.

I'd assume that antenna could be pointed anywhere from horizon to horizon.

Frank Dresser

Old October 23rd 05, 03:42 PM

Sometimes,the Moon is straight up overhead.It all Depends on Les
Locklear's Depends.
cuhulin

Old October 23rd 05, 04:00 PM

USS Liberty was attacked by Israel.Some of the "people" in cahoots with
U.S.fed govt attacking America are the Zionist Jews and Mossad.I used to
have some sympathy for Israel many years ago,about fifty five years
ago,because of the Holocaust,,,, LOOK! even the Vatican did NOT do
anything to help prevent the Holocaust when the Vatican could have.y'all
want to argue with me about that! Years ago,I showed Lucianne Goldberg
(Lucianne Goldberg,,, [[[[GoldTurd]]] she got her start by writing a
trio of novels about high class prostitutes,, go look it up for
y'allselfs if y'all don't believe me)
Let me be the prez,, BYE,BYE Israel and the whole middle East!!!!!!!!!
cuhulin

Old October 23rd 05, 04:03 PM

Go to a mens public toilet,if a Jew is in there,he is going to look at
your d..k to see if you are circumcised.For the record,,,, I still have
"mine",, Ladies.
cuhulin

European Craft Makes Safe, Soft Landing on Saturn Moon Richard Clark Antenna 0 January 14th 05 06:43 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
BUSH TO ANNOUNCE RETURN TO MOON Doctor Artaud Shortwave 11 December 7th 03 03:33 PM
FS: Kiwa Aircore Loop (fixed email bounce problem) grenner Shortwave 0 August 4th 03 09:49 PM
FS: Kiwa Aircore Loop (fixed email bounce problem) grenner Swap 0 August 4th 03 09:49 PM