Old October 21st 05, 04:21 AM
SR

Default Moon Bounce

The last few evening the moon was almost full and the evening sky was
fairly clear here in New York. I then transmitted on my CB but no DX
only locals.

I read something somewhere that mention about Moon Bouncing. Meaning
that a signal can travel far. But I am not sure if that is true.

73 SR!
Old October 21st 05, 06:30 AM

Even very weak signals travel up out of Earth's Atmosphere and they keep
on traveling into outer Space forever.That's how ET phoned home.
cuhulin

Old October 21st 05, 10:11 PM
Fred Garvin

On 2005-10-20 23:21:00 -0400, SR said:

The last few evening the moon was almost full and the evening sky was
fairly clear here in New York. I then transmitted on my CB but no DX
only locals.

I read something somewhere that mention about Moon Bouncing. Meaning
that a signal can travel far. But I am not sure if that is true.

73 SR!

Oh it's true, hams do it all the time. You have to have the right
equiptment/antennas,etc.

--
Chris: "Dad, what's a blowhole for?"
Peter: "I'll tell you what it's NOT for and then you'll know why I can

Old October 21st 05, 11:24 PM
Caveat Lector

Amateurs have used moon bounce for many years - requires very exotic
equipment
Several sites at URL:

http://ac6v.com/astronomy.htm
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old October 21st 05, 11:26 PM

U.S.A.bounces signals off the Moon all the time to keep track of how far
the Moon is from Earth at any given time.I have heard/read before about
Hams bouncing signals off the Moon.
cuhulin

Old October 21st 05, 11:33 PM

Yep,and that is what that 1947 "space alien crash" was about near
Roswell,New Mexico.It was a big balloon equipped with spy cameras to
take pictures of Russia's development of their atom bombs,but the
balloon crashed near Roswell.Art Bell and George Noory,space aliens have
Never visited Earth before and they never will either.Our Sun only has
about four and a half billions years of "life" left now,if them
so-called space aliens ever plan to visit Earth,they better hurry up and
get a move on.
cuhulin

Old October 22nd 05, 12:07 AM
Michael Black

"SeeingEyeDog" ) writes:
Before satellites became available for eavesdropping the moon was used to
listen to the USSR.

Huh?

The only way you can hear signals bounced off the moon is if they
are aimed there in the first place. That means a deliberate use of
the moon as a passive repeater. It does get around the issue of line of
sight at VHF, but it's not something one can use for "eavesdropping".

Moonbounce was first tried by the US Signal Corp right after WWII, I
think it was 1946. But it needs big antennas and/or high power, and
thus it's really not practicaly until you get into the VHF range of
frequencies. I seem to recall the first moonbounce was around 112MHz.

It didn't take very many years before hams did it, using much less
power and I think smaller antennas. I think it was 1953.

Before there were communication satellites, there were passive satellites
launched where signals were simply bounced off their surface, just
like moonbounce.

There was a time or two in the sixties, after Sam Harris (who had been
one of the better known hams to do moonbounce, but then at the time
it was a relatively small club) moved to Puerto Rico to work at the
radio telescope, that Arecibo was used for amateur moonbounce. With
an antenna that size, there was enough gain that far weaker signals
were receivable, so people with average antennas were able to participate
in the test(s). Sam is credited with the line "if your antenna stays
up all winter, it's too small).

With time, it got easier. Ray Naughton (I spelled that wrong) in
Australia had a lot of space, so he put up stacked rhombic antennas f
for moonbounce, and succeeded even though there was a power limit for
Australian hams at the time of 150Watts or so. His problem was that
the rhombics were fixed, so there was a limited number of days each
month that they were aimed at the moon.

With time, the number of hams capable of moonbounce went up. It became
easier to generate power at the suitable frequencies, and more was
learned about antennas and weak signal work. Solid state helped too,
because they had lower noise figure than most tubes. And once there
were enough with really good stations, it made it easier for others,
because their capability meant that those with smaller antennas could
still do moonbounce.

Michael

Old October 22nd 05, 01:33 AM
Mark Zenier

In article , SR wrote:
The last few evening the moon was almost full and the evening sky was
fairly clear here in New York. I then transmitted on my CB but no DX
only locals.

I read something somewhere that mention about Moon Bouncing. Meaning
that a signal can travel far. But I am not sure if that is true.

It's a VHF and microwave thing. You actually illuminate the Moon
with enough power that another station back on Earth can pick up
the reflection. But that requires an antenna that can focus most
of your power on the Moon, a target only 1/2 degree across. Hams,
with 1 kilowatt, can get morse code and slow digital signals (on the
higher bands).

Before satellites the Defense Department was able to send several
teletype channels at at time, maritime mobile. That was with a big dish
and probably 10's of kilowatts. (The best description of using that
equipment, that I've seen, was in a description of the incident where the
USS Liberty, the radio intelligence ship, was attacked by the Israelis.
In the Atlantic Monthly about 10-15 years ago, as I remember).

Mark Zenier

Old October 22nd 05, 04:44 AM

Cuhulin, you'd better listen to Art Bell. There are aliens all around
you, and I don't mean the illegal kind. They're watching you.

European Craft Makes Safe, Soft Landing on Saturn Moon Richard Clark Antenna 0 January 14th 05 06:43 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
BUSH TO ANNOUNCE RETURN TO MOON Doctor Artaud Shortwave 11 December 7th 03 03:33 PM
FS: Kiwa Aircore Loop (fixed email bounce problem) grenner Shortwave 0 August 4th 03 09:49 PM
FS: Kiwa Aircore Loop (fixed email bounce problem) grenner Swap 0 August 4th 03 09:49 PM