Old October 21st 05, 11:16 PM
clu

Default what size antenna?

I purchased the Sony ICF-7600GR and should get it in a few weeks.

I was also looking at scanners that can "hear" above 30MHz. This
particular one goes up to 3GHz. It's the portable AOR AR-8200 MKIII B.

My question is, since I am new to all this, what frequencies does the
default antenna that comes with the unit allow me to get? And do I need
to buy other antennas to get other frequencies? How many antennas will
I need to get all frequencies? Is this a huge cost?

Since it's a portable unit, I am assuming I don't need one of those
huge antennas that you see at some peoples houses sticking out of their
backyard 300ft high (obviously no HOA [home owners association] there.)

--
Thanks in advance,
clu

Old October 22nd 05, 12:12 AM
David

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ants/1205.html

Old October 22nd 05, 12:12 AM

Clu:

Heres a picture of my antenna out back . . .

This is what you need..

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...age/index.html

Anything else will be totally Inadequate..

ACTUALLY . . .

a regular 30 foot peice of wire. placed far away from electric lines &
equipment
will do wonders for weaker stations..

Old October 22nd 05, 05:08 AM
Don

$69 Radio Shack Discone Antenna

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=20-043

If you're going to be listening to several different bands, I would get an
antenna switcher and run several different antennas if for no other reason
than to see which antenna will best suit your needs. I would be tempted to
run more than one antenna unless you are going to be listening to one band.

Why is it going to take a month to receive your radio?

By the way... How good your antenna is, is directly proportionate to the
number of neighbors you have complaining. Top notch antennas usually draw
complaints from the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration). To keep them off
of your back, try painting your antenna towers in alternating red and white
bands, placing red flashing lights up the towers for every 100 feet in
height, with a flashing white strobe at the very top.

For something simple, ask your neighbors if you can string a thousand feet
of antenna wire between your house and theirs.

Oh! You like cats?
So do I... Wanna exchange recipes?

Old October 24th 05, 10:15 PM
clu

Those antennas seem to be for house-mounting desktop radios. I am
interested in one of those hand-sized portable radio. It would be
difficult to walk around with the hand scanner if there is an umbrella
like contraption attached to it.

P.S. the Sony ICF-7600GR will come in a few weeks from amazon.com. It
takes that long when you select the "free shipping" option. Since I am
new to this, I wasn't wise enough to make a purchase through an outfit
that actually supports this hobby. In the future, I will.

--
clu

Old October 25th 05, 12:30 AM
David

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:45:24 GMT, "-=jd=-"
wrote:

On Mon 24 Oct 2005 05:15:56p, "clu" wrote in message
oups.com:

Those antennas seem to be for house-mounting desktop radios. I am
interested in one of those hand-sized portable radio. It would be
difficult to walk around with the hand scanner if there is an umbrella
like contraption attached to it.

You may want a couple black ''clip leads'' (those wires with alligator
clips on the end). My walkaround radio (Sangean ATS-606A) is
adequately sensitive with its built-in whip antenna. In a hotel room,
I might use the alligator clips to double the antenna length. Too
much antenna and you'll force the RF circuits off the linear portions
of their curves.

Old October 25th 05, 01:54 AM
clu

This is probably a dumb question, but if I run a wire around the
perimeter of my house along the eaves so that it is as high as I can
put it, is that dangerous with regard to lightning?

--
clu

Old October 25th 05, 02:02 AM
RHF

CLU,

No more than a wet roof, metal rain gutters and down spouts;
plus any metal vent pipes sticking out/above the roof for
your plumbing.

iane ~ RHF
Old October 26th 05, 12:13 AM
David

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:04:11 GMT, "-=jd=-"
wrote:

On Mon 24 Oct 2005 08:54:42p, "clu" wrote in message
roups.com:

This is probably a dumb question, but if I run a wire around the
perimeter of my house along the eaves so that it is as high as I can
put it, is that dangerous with regard to lightning?

--
clu

Repeat after me:
We always disconnect external antennas from radios when we are not listening
to them, and especially when thunder storms are in the forecast.

Static can build-up in the wire from different sources. It's also a good
argument for having a transformer (at least 1:1) in your feed line that
provides a direct path to ground, in addition to your lightning arrester.

It can also be influenced by your tolerance for risk. If you don't like
rolling dice, then lightning protection, a transformer with a direct path to
ground and diligently disconnecting the feed line are all advisable.

-=jd=-

Where does one find such a transformer? Why does it need to be at
least 1:1? What does that mean?

I use a Palomar MLB-1. A 9:1 autotransformer which provides
sufficient impedance reduction to facilitate the use of Coaxial cable.

Old October 26th 05, 12:31 AM
dxAce

wrote:

[...]

Where have you been?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/antsup.html

Others available elsewhere, do a Google on 1:1 balun.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

The "TRICK" to TV 'type' Coax Cable [Shielded] SWL Loop Antennas {RHF} RHF Shortwave 23 November 3rd 04 01:38 PM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
Understanding Shortwave Radio Listening and Antenna Design and Construction RHF Shortwave 3 February 13th 04 07:16 AM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 04:34 AM
X-terminator antenna (Scott Unit 69) CB 77 October 29th 03 01:52 AM