Old October 22nd 05, 04:13 AM
J&D Schnoor

Default Digital modulation on shortwave

I have been away from actual shortwave for quite some time now. Is there
any digital modulation on shortwave for voice or is it all still analog? If
so, how does it sound?

Old October 22nd 05, 05:15 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"J&D Schnoor" wrote:

I have been away from actual shortwave for quite some time now. Is there
any digital modulation on shortwave for voice or is it all still analog? If
so, how does it sound?

If you have an analog radio it just sounds like static noise trashing
three channels.

If you have a DRM radio it just sounds like low bit rate audio. In other
words it sounds like crap with audio artifacts aplenty.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 22nd 05, 02:17 PM
Tom Holden

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"J&D Schnoor" wrote:

I have been away from actual shortwave for quite some time now. Is there
any digital modulation on shortwave for voice or is it all still analog?
If
so, how does it sound?

If you have an analog radio it just sounds like static noise trashing
three channels.

If you have a DRM radio it just sounds like low bit rate audio. In other
words it sounds like crap with audio artifacts aplenty.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Always watch out for hyperbole. It sounds surprisingly good, for low bitrate
audio, and quite different from AM on shortwave.

Tom

Old October 23rd 05, 09:09 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"Tom Holden" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in
message

.com...
In article , "J&D Schnoor"
wrote:

I have been away from actual shortwave for quite some time now.
Is there any digital modulation on shortwave for voice or is it
all still analog? If so, how does it sound?

If you have an analog radio it just sounds like static noise
trashing three channels.

If you have a DRM radio it just sounds like low bit rate audio. In
other words it sounds like crap with audio artifacts aplenty.

-- Telamon Ventura, California

Always watch out for hyperbole. It sounds surprisingly good, for low
bitrate audio, and quite different from AM on shortwave.

Well, Tom that's your opinion. I'm not exaggerating when I say it
sounds terrible. I find the aural artifacts very annoying and I
certainly would not choose to listen to it. This is no different than
looking at a photograph. At low resolution you can easily identify all
the objects in the picture but edges look jagged and small details are
lost. DRM is similar where you can understand all the speech but it is
distorted and small dynamic components are missing. Low bit rate is
something that can not sound "good." If you are going to digitize
anything you need a high bit rate for it to sound "natural" or "good"
or "hi fidelity" or whatever term you want to use to depict quality.

The hyperbole to watch out for comes from the consortium where the
claim is DRM SW sounds like FM broadcast. That will only happen in
their dreams.

Basically DRM SW sounds like any digital streaming low bit rate audio
you can find in numerous places on the Internet.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 23rd 05, 10:27 AM
Peter Newman

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 03:13:40 GMT, "J&D Schnoor"
wrote:

I have been away from actual shortwave for quite some time now. Is there
any digital modulation on shortwave for voice or is it all still analog? If
so, how does it sound?

There is this new type of digital modulation called DRM.

You can hear what it sounds like he

http://www.winradio.com/home/g303-drm.htm

Peter