Old October 28th 05, 10:20 PM
A.Pismo Clam

Default GE "SuperRadio". Which One Was/Is The Best?

Hello All,

We have moved into the boonies and radio reception is sadly lacking on AM.

I remember a thread discussing the pro's-and-con's of several of the
different varieties and new models.

Can anyone refresh my memory and guide me to the best radio? Did anyone
of them have a built-in cassette tape player/recorder?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain
Old October 28th 05, 10:39 PM
dxAce

"A.Pismo Clam" wrote:

Hello All,

We have moved into the boonies and radio reception is sadly lacking on AM.

I remember a thread discussing the pro's-and-con's of several of the
different varieties and new models.

Can anyone refresh my memory and guide me to the best radio? Did anyone
of them have a built-in cassette tape player/recorder?

As far as I know the II was/is the best.

They can fetch a good price on eBay. I've seen a couple go for $160 or so but it
seems if you watch you can get one for around $60-80.

I lucked out a while back and found a near mint example at a thrift store for
around $4 or so as I recall.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 28th 05, 11:06 PM
Caveat Lector

Super Radio FAQ at URL:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r.../gesr_faq.html

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old October 29th 05, 12:23 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Mr. Clam,

I own several copies of all three versions of the GE Superadio (though
I can't seem to find the original ones which are in my basement,
destined probably never to see the light of day again). Probably the
best performer (by a miniscule amount) is the Superadio II though it
has the worst build-quality of the three, at least with regard to my
samples.

You can buy a new Superadio III from Amazon for about $40.00 or so, and
from other sources, certainly for no more than $60.00. When used with a
suitable antenna, such as the C. Crane Twin-Coil Antenna or a random
long-wire, you will get sparkling performance and excellent sound
quality.

It's a pity that this set does not incorporate a synchronous detection
circuit which would really add to reception quality. But that, in
addition to poor dial accuracy, no dial light, and mediocre
build-quality, are its only faults and, at its price, they can be
"forgiven."

Best,

Joe

P.S. Don't be tempted by the CCRadio which was touted as "superior" to
the GE Superadio. It ain't !!!

Old October 29th 05, 12:41 AM
Cmon nospam

I've seen the Superadio III selling in franchised (not company owned) Radio
Shack stores for $50 new. Franchised Radio Shacks are mostly in small towns
and rural regions.

oups.com...

Old October 29th 05, 01:11 AM

Those ccrane Sangean radios sure ain't! I tried a ccrane Sangean
AM/FM/Weather band/TV band radio and it sure wasen't.I sent that radio
back to ccrane and I tried a Sangean ATS 909 AM/FM/Shortwave radio and
it sure wasen't! either and neither was that ccrane Select-A-Tenna.I
sent all of that cheap wayyyyy over rated wayyyy over priced plastic
sure wasent's back to ccrane too.
cuhulin

Old October 29th 05, 01:17 AM

If your radio's dial scale needle is off kilter too much and if you can
get inside of the radio easy enough,you can slide that needle on that
string to sort of get it aligned about right.If the string is a little
bit too loose and slips too much,use some violin resin on the string.
cuhulin

Old October 29th 05, 04:18 AM
Bob Miller

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:20:32 -0700, "A.Pismo Clam"
wrote:

Hello All,

We have moved into the boonies and radio reception is sadly lacking on AM.

I remember a thread discussing the pro's-and-con's of several of the
different varieties and new models.

Can anyone refresh my memory and guide me to the best radio? Did anyone
of them have a built-in cassette tape player/recorder?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain

If I were in the boonies, I get the Select-a-tenna AM tuning loop from
C.Crane & company. Combine that with any radio, even the cheapest, and
it'll pull in signals quite well. I've been very impressed with my
loop -- if you can barely hear an AM station, the loop will make it
pop out. It does require careful tuning and pointing, but it does
work.

For FM in the boonies, I'd get a little rotatable beam antenna from
Winegard or whomever.

Bottom line, for your situation, you need more antenna than radio.

bob
k5qwg

Old October 29th 05, 06:15 PM

Find a good AM or AM/FM radio that has an AM terminal on the radio and
attach about 70 feet of wire to the AM terminal and run the other end
out to a tree or whatever,aim the wire in the general direction of your
favorite AM radio stations.
cuhulin

Old October 29th 05, 06:20 PM

www.devilfinder.com How to get better AM radio reception