Old November 13th 05, 10:13 PM
LJ

Default fm pirate ?

Probably low power FM/microbroadcasting.

Google either term, you'll find some answers.

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:55:06 GMT, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

Last night while walking the dog in Tulsa, OK I was tuning my Sony Walkman
SRF-49 and heard a weak station playing Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee
Lewis. It was fading in and out but I persisted because I like the song.
After I got home I found the station was on 102.9 using my Sony 2010 but it
got swamped by more powerful nearby stations so 102.9 was not always
listenable on the 2010, poor selectivity.. I was able to find the station
on my GE Superradio and it came in much better. Then I tried my Yatch Boy
400, Sangean ATS 606A and Sony ICF-SW7600. The Yatch Boy was the best and
the GE Super as good but its not as easy to find the exact frequency on its
poor analog dial scale. The selectivity of the 7600 was so poor that I
couldn't hear the station. While doing this I was waiting for the station
to identify itself but it never did, however once the DJ mentioned
Brookside, time and a phone number which I missed. (Brookside is a growing
entertainment area in the suburbs of Tulsa), So I continued to listen while
comparing all the radios concluding that the Yatch Boy was the best and the
GE as good if you like analog. I never tried the Walkman but I should have
and maybe I will later. After about 2 hours just before going to sleep he
mentioned the phone number again and I called.
I got a Hello and nothing else so I said, "I'm listening to your radio
station and would like to know the call letters"? He responded with,
"Brookside" I asked if he was a pirate and he said no. He was just playing
music from his house with a 1/2 watt transmitter which he said was legal.