Old November 13th 05, 09:46 PM
ryan

Default icom r 75 external

hi all. does anyone here have an icom r75 using the sweet sound speaker
as an external? how are they together?
Old November 13th 05, 10:06 PM
ryan

In article . com,
wrote:

ryan wrote:
hi all. does anyone here have an icom r75 using the sweet sound speaker
as an external? how are they together?

Hmm. refine your question a bit?

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...D,GGLD:2004-31
,GGLD:en&q=sweet+sound+speaker

Not a Hi Fi Box..

Computer speakers work just dandy !

arggh i meant the sounds sweet speaker http://www.soundssweet.com

jim just looking for a little larger speaker to reduze the listener
fatigue i get from the tiny internal on the R75..might just go with
a larger comp speakers afterall.

regards
Old November 13th 05, 10:50 PM

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+sound+speaker

Old November 13th 05, 11:15 PM
ryan

In article , Drifter
wrote:

hi all. does anyone here have an icom r75 using the sweet sound speaker
as an external? how are they together?

Hi Ryan. got one here. works and sounds great on my R75. also use it
on a few other desktops here. i'ved had it about a year and a half.
yes, it does sound sweet. you can go cheaper with the comp speakers.
i like the room filling sound i get from the sounds sweet speaker.
i'm looking at a speaker set up that radios4you sells. can't think
of the model right now. do a google on radios4you- out of Fla. it's
a double speaker box with an amp. about 89.00, on ebay. let ya know
if i ever get around to try one. check eham for reports on a bunch
of speakers. Good DX!...

Drifter...

*on*the*fringe*of*Pittsburgh*

after that glowing report im back to being open to the sounds sweet
speaker haha. i was torn between the ss speaker or the ICOM SP-20 which
is considerably more expensive and seems to have more advantages
for utility/hams ops. im more of a broadcast listener which seems to
lead me toward to the ss especially after readin the eham reviews after
reading your post. thx for sharing ur experience with the ss!

regards

Old November 14th 05, 12:45 AM
David

************************************************* ***********************

Hi Ryan. got one here. works and sounds great on my R75. also use it
on a few other desktops here. i'ved had it about a year and a half.
yes, it does sound sweet. you can go cheaper with the comp speakers.
i like the room filling sound i get from the sounds sweet speaker.
i'm looking at a speaker set up that radios4you sells. can't think
of the model right now. do a google on radios4you- out of Fla. it's
a double speaker box with an amp. about 89.00, on ebay. let ya know
if i ever get around to try one. check eham for reports on a bunch
of speakers. Good DX!...

Drifter...

*on*the*fringe*of*Pittsburgh*

I 'd buy something like this at a garage sale and throw away the
elecronics. I use an AIWA 4'' speaker in a big plastic box and it
sounds quite good. Avoid 2-way speakers. The tweeters don't help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-Home-Stereo-...c mdZViewItem

Old November 14th 05, 03:13 AM
ryan

thx for the great suggestions and opinions!
i will take every post into consideration.

regards
Old November 14th 05, 11:48 AM
Frank Dresser

"ryan" wrote in message

arggh i meant the sounds sweet speaker http://www.soundssweet.com

jim just looking for a little larger speaker to reduze the listener
fatigue i get from the tiny internal on the R75..might just go with
a larger comp speakers afterall.

regards

Check out the thrift stores. My local Salvation Army store sells unpaired
stereo speakers from $3 to $10 or so. There's often some very suitable ones
there.

Frank Dresser

Old November 14th 05, 01:22 PM
RHF

Default For that Old Tube Radio Sound . . . Try the Speaker-in-a-CardBoard-Box

David,

For that Old Tube Radio Sound . . .
Try the Speaker-in-a-CardBoard-Box

First find/buy a 'basic' 4" to 5.25" Full Range Speaker.
[ The High Efficiency + Small Magnet + One Way Kind ]

Next - Take a CardBoard Box (9"W x 9H x 12"D)
{229mmW x 229mmH x 305mmD}
Single or Double Wall Corrugated "Shipping" CardBoard Box
from OfficeDepot / Staples / OfficeMax / UPS Store / ETC

Assemble the CardBoard Box {Speaker Enclosure} :
* Glued Closed One End which becomes the Front-End.
* Wait a Day for the Glue-End to Set and Harden.
* Cut a Hole to Fit your Speaker in the Glued End with Mounting Holes.

* Attach your Speaker Wires with Radio Connector to the Speaker
* Install the Speaker in the CardBoard Box and Mount it to the Inside
of the Glued-End.
* Folded Two of the Adjacent Flaps in-flat against the sides
at the Back-in-Side of the CardBoard Box and Tape and Glue
them in-place. Then Folded the other Two of the Adjacent Flaps
Even with the End of the Back-Side of the CardBoard Box
and Tape and Glue them in-place. This Creates a Rear 3"x3"
'Port' for the Speaker and gives it the Old Tube Radio Sound.

FWIW - Some People simply Fold All Four Flaps "IN" and
have the Back-end Fully Open and claim that this Gives a better
Old Tube Radio Speaker Sound to the Speaker-in-a-CardBoard- Box

TIP - Cover the Speaker with a Black Handkerchief - Go Raiders !

yes it is as simple as that ~ RHF
Old November 14th 05, 02:52 PM
craig

Default ABOUT - External Speakers for the Icom IC-R75 Receiver

Ryan ...

You have several good options, many of which have been mentioned above.
The biggest factor to consider when sorting through them all is the
type of content you like to listen to.

If you primarily are interested in extended listening to strong
broadcast and SW stations, you would want to have reasonable fidelity,
high audio bandwidth and possibly high volume available to you. For
this you would want to use computer speakers or equavilent or the
Sounds Sweet approach. With my R75, I have the line out signal
(labeled REC) connected to the line in of a Tivoli Audio Model One mono
receiver. This small radio gives excellent audio when listening to
broadcasts with high signal strengths and low background noise.

For more difficult listening situations, such as ham radio, utility
stations, DXing, etc., the above approach is worse than the internal
R75 speaker due to the exessive audio bandwidth. For these types of
applications, you want to limit the bandwidth to exclude as much
extraneous noise as possible, and accept some loss of fidelity. At low
audio levels, I would rate the internal R75 speaker as approaching
adequate in this regard. But as you have found, it does have some
distortion and a very limited dynamic range. One good improvement
should be the ICOM SP-23 external speaker. This unit provides higher
sound levels and has selectable audio filters so that the lowpass and
highpass response can be tailored to the content you are listining to.
- i.e., high bandwidth for AM, medium for SSB and narrow for CW. It
is complety passive and is driven by the 8 ohm external speaker line
from the R75. Looks like a very flexible device. The downside is that
it is fairly pricey - about $170. I will be getting one next month and
am looking forward to evaluating it as I do a lot of CW on the ham
bands. Will post my evaluation here in a month or so.

A third alternative, if you don't mind being tied to a computer, would
be to tie the R75 line out to a computer sound card and use a DSP audio
filter program on the computer to drive the computer speakers. This
would give you the ultimate in customization of the audio response to
various listening situations.

... Craig