Old November 17th 05, 11:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Walter Kurtz

Default HF transceiver vs. HF sw receiver

Is there any difference in the receive quality of a HF transceiver rig
versus a dedicated sw receiver. the only direct comparision i can think of,
which may be a bad example, is the IC-781 vs. the IC-R9000. Thanks for the
input.

Old November 17th 05, 12:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
atagrasin

input. He http://www.dxing.info/equipment/icom_ic756_plimmer.dx you will find what you are asking for, a side by side performance test between one of the best transceiver around, the Icom 756 pro III and the famous SW receiver, the Drake R8B. Atagrasin

Old November 17th 05, 02:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dale Parfitt

"atagrasin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Walter Kurtz wrote:
Is there any difference in the receive quality of a HF transceiver rig
versus a dedicated sw receiver. the only direct comparision i can think
of,
which may be a bad example, is the IC-781 vs. the IC-R9000. Thanks for
the
input.
He http://www.dxing.info/equipment/icom_ic756_plimmer.dx you will find
what you are asking for, a side by side performance test between one of
the best transceiver around, the Icom 756 pro III and the famous SW
receiver, the Drake R8B. Atagrasin

I have seen that link some time back.
Not sure if the author mentioned it or not but the PRO II ( I own one) is
deaf on LF. I measured MDS at -95dBm at 137 KHz- my band of interest. Now
using a Palomar LF--80M converter. In this combination, the MDS is -129
dBm.
Icom places a -10dB pad and an LPF in the line below 1.6MHz. Believe the PRO
and PRO III are the same topology.

Conditions were decent last night, not great. With the Palomar in line,
South American and Puerto Rican NDB's were rolling in.

Dale W4OP
for PAR Electronics, Inc.

Old November 17th 05, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Caveat Lector

Some things that comes to mind is synchronous detection and RDS readouts are
usually not features of transceivers.

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

news:7bydnfcVcZb48eHenZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

Old November 17th 05, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Plimmer

Dale W4OP wrote
Icom places a -10dB pad and an LPF in the line below 1.6MHz. Believe the
PRO and PRO III are the same topology.

Yes, this is true, but several owners of the Icom 756 series have reversed
this and now get superb reception on the LW and MW segment.
As a MW DXer I am getting excellent reception on the Icom RF-756 PRO III
below 1600 Khz, having reversed the attenuation on MW.

Walter Kurtz could also have a look at the Icom 746 Pro, a really useful
transceiver with a great receive section at a good price.
See Bjarne Mjelde's review of that also on the http://www.dxing.info
website.
There's also a discussion there on doing the MW mod to regain full
sensitivity on the MW/LW segment.

A year on, I love the 756 PRO III as it's is a serious DXer in the wee hours
of the morning, but I do miss the Drake R8B for it's outstanding synchronous
detector for listening to AM broadcasts during the day.
I think the 756 is a better bet and better value for money than the Ten Tec
RX340 as a receiver.
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

"atagrasin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Transceiver or Receiver m II Shortwave 0 March 28th 05 06:30 AM
FS: COLLINS KWM-2A TRANSCEIVER & 75S-1 RECEIVER [email protected] Equipment 4 February 20th 05 10:40 PM
Trade Yaesu transceiver for receiver John Shortwave 7 February 6th 05 09:37 PM
Want to trade transceiver for receiver Moody1951 Swap 0 May 19th 04 04:19 PM
FA: ICOM IC-745 HF Band Amateur Radio Transceiver General Coverage Receiver jag Swap 0 October 9th 03 07:24 PM