Old November 28th 05, 12:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default LF Engineering H800 Skymatch

I'm curious, for SW reception, does it work well with a portable
(like, say an SW77 or Satellite 700), as well as with your tabletop
receivers? Size-wise and being optionally battery-powered, it looks
like an attractive option for portable applications (certainly for,
say, a Drake SW8 or something of that calibre), but I'm wondering if
it's just too much an antenna for a portable...

Junius

Old November 28th 05, 02:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dk

Junius

I'm very interested to hear responses to this question as well! I'm
looking at either the H800 or H900, or the one from northcountry. I'm
currently using a Sangean Super 909 with a Degen DE-31 active loop
antenna.

Douglas Kilen
Superior WI USA
www.pbase.com/kilen

Old November 28th 05, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
The Axelrods

Saw a review at:

http://entropy.brneurosci.org/antenna-lfh800.html

Shawn
ups.com...

Old November 28th 05, 03:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dk

It looks like the H900 only works with the plug in adapter because of
power consumption... no battery option. (although I would probably
make my own external batter pack for it)

Old November 28th 05, 03:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The H-800 is a great little antenna. I have one. It will work just fine
with an SW77 or comparable portable, so long as the receiver in
question has a reasonably good attenuator. In my experience, the H-800
is dynamite on MW and up to around 5 mhz. It's good from 5 mhz up to
around 15 mhz, and it's performance gradually tapers off from there. At
any rate, this is how I remember it...I haven't used the H-800 very
much since switching over to a Wellbrook loop. It's a very good value,
though. Doesn't get the attention it deserves, in my opinion.

Steve

Old November 28th 05, 05:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Thanks Axelrod for the link to the review and thanks Steve for your
impressions of the H-800. Since LF Electronics seems to tailor a lot
of their products toward lowfer and MW BCB listeners, I had thought
that it might well be the case that the H800 would exhibit better
performance in the lower frequencies than the higher frequencies of the
SW spectrum. Since my interest is primarily in HF, it seems that,
although it might offer some improvement in the 120 and 90 meter bands,
the H800 likely would not offer significantly improved reception over
the AOR WL500 antenna I already have (unless we're talking about
outdoor mounting of the H800 away from a noisy indoor environment).

The WL500 is a nicely made antenna; nice performance across the SW
spectrum. Easy to set up and decent on battery consumption, too.
Unfortunate that AOR discontinued this fine product.

Junius

Old November 28th 05, 05:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

I haven't used the H-800 very
much since switching over to a Wellbrook loop. It's a very good value,
though. Doesn't get the attention it deserves, in my opinion.

Well, the Wellbrook loops get some pretty nice reviews in Passport to
World Band Radio. Given Wellbrook's lack of any distribution in the
U.S. & Canada, it's sometimes a little surprising to see how many North
American SW listeners on this newsgroup are using Wellbrook loops.

Junius

Old November 28th 05, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yeah, I'm surprised that the people at Wellbrook haven't worked out a
distribution deal with, say, Universal or Grove.

It's also worth mentioning that I've heard good reports about the RF
Systems MTA vertical antenna, which is available through universal.
It's about seven feet tall, as I recall, and is passive and apparently
extremely quiet. However, if you have the space for it, the MTA is
probably worth considering. I'm not sure how it would compare with the
H-800, but someone else in the group might know.

Steve

Old November 28th 05, 01:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dale Parfitt

"junius" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm curious, for SW reception, does it work well with a portable
(like, say an SW77 or Satellite 700), as well as with your tabletop
receivers? Size-wise and being optionally battery-powered, it looks
like an attractive option for portable applications (certainly for,
say, a Drake SW8 or something of that calibre), but I'm wondering if
it's just too much an antenna for a portable...

Junius

Active whips with good dynamic range are extremely easy to homebrew- and
excellent article appeared in QST a couple years back using a CATV
transistor- better IP3 than likely any of the consumer antennas available.
Seem to recall that FAR Circuits has the PC board.
Don't forget a good RF ground at the antenna- without it, the outside of the
coax shield becomes part of the antenna- transporting house noise out to the
pick up probe.
Dale W4OP

Old November 28th 05, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Junius,

You may wish to read these four Messages about the
LF Engineering H-800 and H-900 Active Antennas.

ABOUT - "Omni" {Non} Directional Vertical Active Antennas
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...df7f47f701f5f4

ABOUT - LF Engineering
- "Omni" {Non} Directional Vertical Active Antennas
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...33e014f4850ed8

What About
- An LF Engineering Vertical Active Antenna + Plus a Slinky Jr. ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...bf937573bb4101

The Secret to most of these Small Vertical Active Antennas seems
to be Location and Placement of the Active Antenna Element.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...336b89160888d8

As Dale Parfitt recommmended a good Ground to the mounting position
of the Active Antenna and connected to the Coax Cable's Outer End
Connector; can help reduce Noise Pick-Up along the Coax Cable .

TIP - Two Snap-On / Clamp-On Ferrite Core Choke one about 4" - 6"
down the Coax Cable from the Active Antenna and another one about
4" - 6" before the Coax Cable enters the House/Building can also help
reduce Noise Pick-Up.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.
.
* * * EXTRACTED from NewsGroups : Rec.Radio.Shortwave
= = = From: "junius" junjun...@...
= = = Date: 27 Nov 2005 16:43:10 -0800
= = = Subject: LF Engineering H800 Skymatch

= = = Dale Parfitt wrote :

Active whips with good dynamic range are extremely easy to homebrew-
and
excellent article appeared in QST a couple years back using a CATV
transistor- better IP3 than likely any of the consumer antennas
available.
Seem to recall that FAR Circuits has the PC board.
Don't forget a good RF ground at the antenna- without it, the outside
of the
coax shield becomes part of the antenna- transporting house noise out
to the
pick up probe.

Dale W4OP
.
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Все *адушны ! - - - Группа оператора
на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
Radio для Aнтенн SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = = Translation = = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.
.
.. .