Old November 30th 05, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
wavetrapper

Default degen de1103 vs sony icf-sw7600gr

That has not been my experience with the Sony 2010 anyway. It very
much can make the difference between intelligibility or not. The
synch detect on the 7600g(r) can make a difference but it is not nearly
as dramatic on the 2010.

The synch detect on the R75 (after Kiwa mods) also is very effective.

The synch detect on the Grundig Sat 700 was not that great.

I have heard that the synch detect on the new E1 is quite effective and
I have heard the same about the circuit on the Drake R8B. I don't have
any experience with these 2 radios however.

John S. wrote:
The synch detector is an overhyped feature that rarely provides
significant improvement in intelligibility of a broadcast. IMHO of
course....

Old November 30th 05, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

John S. wrote:
The synch detector is an overhyped feature that rarely provides
significant improvement in intelligibility of a broadcast. IMHO of
course....

This was just a Troll in my opinion and not a serious statement.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old November 30th 05, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

John S. wrote:
The synch detector is an overhyped feature that rarely provides
significant improvement in intelligibility of a broadcast. IMHO of
course....

I had a 7600 and the selectable sidebands were very asymmetric. Very
annoying.

Old November 30th 05, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

David wrote:
I had a 7600 and the selectable sidebands were very asymmetric. Very
annoying.

I've read of folks havin' this experience. Thankfully, I've not
experienced this with any of my Sonys ('SW77, '2010, 'SW7600G, 'SW07).
Before getting the 'SW7600G, the 'SW7600 was my primary travel radio.
I have found the sync detector feature in the 'SW7600G to more than
justify the upgrade. It certainly improves the radios selectivity in
AM mode. When I spent a number of months abroad a last year, I opted
to take the '606AP instead: that was a mistake. '606 is a decent
little radio, but you don't want to have it as your sole choice over
any sizeable duration.

Old November 30th 05, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 30 Nov 2005 09:51:31 -0800, "junius" wrote:

David wrote:
I had a 7600 and the selectable sidebands were very asymmetric. Very
annoying.

I've read of folks havin' this experience. Thankfully, I've not
experienced this with any of my Sonys ('SW77, '2010, 'SW7600G, 'SW07).
Before getting the 'SW7600G, the 'SW7600 was my primary travel radio.
I have found the sync detector feature in the 'SW7600G to more than
justify the upgrade. It certainly improves the radios selectivity in
AM mode. When I spent a number of months abroad a last year, I opted
to take the '606AP instead: that was a mistake. '606 is a decent
little radio, but you don't want to have it as your sole choice over
any sizeable duration.

I drag a portable XM along with my 606A. I'm really anxious to get
the double conversion Kaito shirt pocket radio.

Old November 30th 05, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

In article .com,
wavetrapper wrote:
That has not been my experience with the Sony 2010 anyway. It very
much can make the difference between intelligibility or not.

How wide are the filters in a 2010? Maybe they used the synch detector
(ie. image reject mixer) as a way to cheap out on the bandpass filter.

Mark Zenier