Old December 14th 05, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
IonSpot

Default Drake Receivers

I owned them all. I started with a new R-8A but got rid of it after Drake
couldn't fix internal birdies...some of which were S-8 in the MW Band.
Dumped it on ebay several years ago. Internal birdies generated by the
display and uP chip....internal shielding inside the R-8 series of radio's
is a joke....they're built like Muntz TV sets: no shielding, gobs of long
wire harnesses. Why my 8A was such a problem I can only contribute to the
uP chip radiating like a bitch.

I bought a real nice R-8B with VHF from this Newsgroup for $950 about five
years ago. The selectable-sideband sync on AM is fantastic. I grew tired
of looking at it unused... as I'm not a serious SWL'er and sold it on ebay
for about $1200 about 2 years ago. I liked the 8B alot and probably should
have kept it.

I purchased an R-8 with VHF and MS-8 on eBay for $575 about one year ago.
It is my favorite (believe it or not!). I like "simpler is better". The
"Plain 8" is a fine receiver and an excellent value. I only use it about
once a week, so it does fine for me.

It's safe to say that one model is not any sensitive than the
other....except the Preamp (on MW) is not usable on the 8, it can be enabled
on the 8A, 8B. Not a big deal, though.

I won't discuss the ergo or sync improvement issues on the models...not enuf
time.

Good luck.

Make sure to search QTH.com classifieds. The 8B or 8 is a safe bet in my
book.

"Steve Rabinowitz" wrote in message
nk.net...
Been looking to buy a Drake receiver on Ebay, which one is the most
recommended, the R-8, R-8A, R-8B or R-8E. Thanks.

Old December 15th 05, 12:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I wouldn't mind a non computerized new Ten-Tec radio with knobs and
wheels on it,if they make such radios.I already have a physical Linksys
computerized radio.
cuhulin

Old December 15th 05, 12:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ten-Tec,because they are made down South.
cuhulin

Old December 15th 05, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Yodar

wrote:
I wouldn't mind a non computerized new Ten-Tec radio with knobs and
wheels on it,if they make such radios.I already have a physical Linksys
computerized radio.
cuhulin

starting at $39.00

http://radio.tentec.com/kits/Receiver

when i get time I wanna get the regen receiver for some retro radio!
My Knight kit regen used'ta drive Mom nuts with the squeals!

Yodar
Old December 16th 05, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

.....retro radio,eh? MacRae's Department stores just now showed a
commercial on tv Radio here about those AM/FM/retro radios,the kind that
has a phonograph/record player built into the top of the radio,only
$99.99,the commercial said.
cuhulin

Drake Receivers [email protected] Shortwave 20 December 21st 05 12:20 AM
Drake Receivers John Plimmer Shortwave 13 December 15th 05 06:16 PM
ABOUT - The RL Drake R8 - R8A - R8B Communication Receivers RHF Shortwave 3 December 15th 05 01:33 AM
Drake Receivers Telamon Shortwave 2 December 14th 05 06:43 PM
FA - R. L. Drake SW8 'portable' World Band Shortwave Communications Receiver RHF Shortwave 7 January 4th 05 03:00 AM