Old December 16th 05, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Xmas Present: Ten Tec RX 320D or Radio Labs Super Sangean ATS909 ??

Dear Junius et al

Thanks for all the inputs so far from everyone!!

This particular review is good because it shows that the money spent on
the S909 for sensivitivity is not there. That is the fundamental
question: Are the mods worth the $ for basic 909 == S909 ??!!

Again, my leanings are for the 320D. I likely will not make a decision
for a week.

BTW I will not buy two radios for sure!!

Moreover, I am still wondering what to mortgage to consider the
winradio option as well.
what a beautiful piece of engineering it is. as well as the 320D and
909 basic.

Paul

junius wrote:
Another review of the RadioLabs Super 909.

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtsuper909.pdf

junius

Old December 17th 05, 04:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

At least with USB, when the next thing comes along, you could probably
buy a converter. With an internal card, once the standard is dumped,
you are forced to maintain an older PC to use the card.. [Plenty of
people had to dump ISA GPIB cards and buy expensive PCI cards. I'm not
sure how long PCI will last since the new PCs use PCIE. ] On that
alone, I would get the USB radio if you really want to go the black box
route.

I use my gear at home and in the field, so computer controlled radios
are not high on my list. Notebook computers draw too much power for
field use, plus they generate noise.

Mark S. Holden wrote:
wrote:
Dear Mark

Should I be considering one or two more machines in this mix.

I really like the WiNRADiO WR-G303e standalone usb machine but it is
slightly out of my price range (and could bring the wife descending
upon me--presently flying under the radar,)

thanks

Paul

I've heard generally good things about the winradios, but have no
personal experience with them.

I think an external winradio (the USB one you mentioned)would make lots
more sense than an internal one though, as odds are the radio will still
be a fine performer long after whatever card standards we're using now
are impossible to find on new computers.

I advise researching the heck out of purchases and buying whatever you
really want even if it means waiting a couple weeks or months to fit it
in the budget. In the long run, you'll end up with nicer stuff, and
save money.

Old December 17th 05, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DeWayne

Paul, make sure you check out the Eton E1-XM portable, in case you haven't
heard about it. The tuning resolution is much better than on the 909. I've
seen it on sale for $400. RL Drake had a hand in the E1 so that has to be a
huge plus!

"paul v birke" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All

With these being about equal in price and having a laptop to drive the Ten
Tec what would be the choice here.

I am a novice but both look very good after a few days research, I do love
both.

I need you help to decide based I think more on pure technical merit than
anything. Which scores higher in your opinions?

thanks

Paul Birke PEng (EE)

Old December 17th 05, 04:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

my thinking also that the internal card is a bad buy

what is the purpose of the converter, I used to know at one time
more frequency bands I guess tuned by the basic 100 kHz to 30 MHZ
winradio box

btw the box is quite small and more than cute, looks well shielded

Old December 17th 05, 04:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I will do this right now

thanks so much

Paul

Old December 17th 05, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Yodar

paul v birke wrote:
Hi All

With these being about equal in price and having a laptop to drive the
Ten Tec what would be the choice here.

I am a novice but both look very good after a few days research, I do
love both.

I need you help to decide based I think more on pure technical merit
than anything. Which scores higher in your opinions?

thanks

Paul Birke PEng (EE)

I have an aun modified ATS909 and the RX 320 using SWLog control
software. The ATS 909 is used only in poower outages and hurricanes. The
RX 320 with Bob's software is incredible.

Yodar
Old December 17th 05, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Yodar

Is Bob at dxtra or ten tec?

thanks
Paul

320d looks good and I may buy in a few days

Paul

Old December 18th 05, 12:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SYSYPHUS' SISTER

On 17 Dec 2005 15:55:13 -0800, wrote:

Dear Yodar

Is Bob at dxtra or ten tec?

thanks
Paul

320d looks good and I may buy in a few days

Paul

Bob Sillett and SWLog
http://www.shortwavelog.com/default-english.html. And please consider
making a donation if you decide to use the 320D with the
software.....keeping it free!!

SYSYPHUS' SISTER
Remove all inhibitions to reply
Old December 18th 05, 01:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Xmas Present: Ten Tec RX 320D or Radio Labs Super SangeanATS90...

How many of y'all besides meself have read or heard (if y'all are ahead
of the herd,Please dont forget to look back once in a while to see if I
am still here,,, if y'all are wearing Spurs,dont squat to low on them
Cattle Drives) that them sangean radios are notorious about them front
panel digital readouts goin buggy and bonkers and it cost about fifty
dollars or more to get em fixed?
cuhulin

Old December 18th 05, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

just saw the site.

will do if I buy the 320D--looks like beautiful software

presently trying to understand the lack of AM Synch

likely the 320D does not need same as functionality of existing
controls sufficient to bring a weak station next to a biggy in and in
stable locked state