RadioBanter

-   -   CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/85240-cbs-infinity-iboc-am.html)

[email protected] December 31st 05 09:16 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Perhaps the Kiwa is too narrow band to allow the IBOC sidebands to come
through.

Byung Myung Sying wrote:
I actually have IBOC capability on my home receiver (the Yamaha
RX-V4600). The "mutlicasting" on FM is actually pretty nice since it
allows commercially-untenable formats to be broadcast. Here in
Detroit, we have 9 stations broadcasting "second IBOC" channels. One
(94.7) uses its second IBOC channel to broadcast "deep album rock"
from the 1960's and 70's. Another (105.1) broadcasts classical "pops"
on its second IBOC channel. Another broadcasts "live rock concerts"
on it's second IBOC channel.

The audio quality on the FM IBOC channels is about as good as a 256K
MP3. An analogue FM transmission is capable of MUCH better sound
quality (although only a few stations such as WFMT in Chicago or WQXR
in New York actually broadcast uncompressed FM analogue sound).

The big problem, reception-quality-wise, is that FM IBOC is
unreceivable unless you are in a strong, local reception condition.
For example, there's an NPR station that broadcasts classical music in
Lansing, MI (about 80 miles from me) and I can't pick up their IBOC
signal, even with a yagi directional FM antenna. Their analogue
signal comes in just fine, and my receiver reverts to analogue since
the digital IBOC signal is unreceivable.

As far as AM IBOC goes, Detroit's 950 AM and 910 AM broadcast an IBOC
signal. 950's audio quality was HORRIBLE when it first started up,
with echoey, swishy, digital artifact sound. Now, Ibiquity seems to
have fixed something and 950's signal sounds okay with nice high
frequency reproduction. It sounds about as good as a 64K MP3. 910's
IBOC signal still sounds awful (although it's in stereo).

AM IBOC though does NOT in any way, shape, or form have "FM quality
sound" as Ibiquity's advertising trumpets.

There is an AM stereo station locally (CFCO in Chatham, ON) which
indeed DOES have "audio quality approaching FM" when listened to on a
good AM stereo receiver (I have an AM stereo tuner in my Ford Escape
Hybrid which has the best sound that I've ever heard out of an AM
radio).

As far as "IBOC vs DRM" for "high fidelity AM" broadcasts, since IBOC
"shares" the allotted bandwidth with an analogue signal, it requires
an extremely strong local signal in order to receive it. There is an
AM NPR station in Lansing, MI which is UNRECEIVABLE in IBOC mode from
70 miles away, even using a Kiwa Air Core Loop which brings in the
analogue AM signal 20 dB over S9. In contrast, since DRM does not
share it's bandwidth with an analogue signal, the ability to "DX DRM"
is much greater. I can receive DRM test transmissions with perfect
decoding from stations that are inaudible in analogue mode (Deutsche
Welle and Radio Nederland quite often "switch over" from analogue to
DRM in the midst of a broadcast).

As far as "Eureka DAB" goes, it's deader than a doornail in Canada.
The foppish bureaucrats who were trying to "act European and declare
their independence from the U.S." by implementing DAB in Canada failed
miserably and wasted millions of Canadian tax dollars in the process.
Since most Canadian stations (except the CBC) are dependent on U.S.
advertising, absolutely NONE of them were about to replace AM and FM
with DAB and lose all of the U.S. advertising dollars. I spoke with
an engineer at the local CBC station in Windsor, ON and he didn't even
KNOW that there was still a DAB transmitter operating in Windsor.
The Canadians quietly abandoned their ill-conceived DAB pork-barrel
and have allowed XM and Sirius to begin service in Canada.

The above comments are based on empiricle results from my own
listening and DX'ing experiences using analogue AM Stereo, IBOC, and
DRM receivers.

Fred E. - N8UC
Detroit, MI

clifto December 31st 05 09:52 PM

The Whore House Years (was: CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?)

Carter, K8VT wrote:
Well, buried back in Appendix C was an *actual quote* by an FCC
Commissioner back in the 1950s who said "Yeah, we called those the
'Whorehouse years' because everything, including us, was for sale".

Now this from an actual FCC Commissioner back in the days of "Ozzie and
Harriet" and "Leave it to Beaver". If it happened back in those
"innocent" days, do you think it could happen today????

There's zero question it happens. A high position in the FCC is nothing more
than a holding position from which one can trade favors for the right job
offer.

clifto December 31st 05 09:59 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

wrote:
The trouble is that there are (probably) a half-billion analog
receivers in the USA alone capable of receiving analog AM / FM, and
these can't be abandoned overnight.

Funny, there are more television sets than people in the USA, yet they are
being abandoned virtually overnight. Or at least the chuckleheads in the
FCC think so. The cable and dish providers, and the public, know better.

clifto December 31st 05 10:08 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
From FCC Public Notice DA-03-831:
(http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/audio/DA-03-831A1.pdf)

"Until further notice, AM stations must restrict IBOC operation to
daytime hours. An AM station with authority to operate between 6 a.m.
and local sunrise (pre-sunrise hours) and between local sunset and 6
p.m. (post-sunset hours) may operate its hybrid IBOC system during those
periods. "

And from FCC Private Notice DontTellNoOneYHear:

"To bring about further notice, deposit $10,000,000 in account number
604472849 at Banc Suissishe in Geneva. Alternately, to obtain an exclusive
one-year advance on competitors, deposit $100,000,000 plus an amount equal
to your eight-digit secret ID so that we can identify our benefactor."

[email protected] December 31st 05 10:33 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

The feds are going to provide ATSC to NTSC converters free (cough
cough) of cost to the poor.

Cable and dish are a big part of the market. It isn't clear to me if
the feds are going to mandate that HD be delivered over those services.
Even if they feds do mandate HD to subscribers, there is cash flow to
recover the cost of new set top boxes.

My preference would have been for a new broadcast band for terrestrial
digital audio services, rather than a retrofit that causes interference
to conventional users. I don't get too bent out of shape over FM IBOC,
since the capture ratio of the analog receiver will give the fringe
listener a fighting chance at decent reception. However, AM BCB is
another story. You can't reject the IBOC hash in AM.

Byung Myung Sying December 31st 05 10:45 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

On 31 Dec 2005 13:16:05 -0800, wrote:

Perhaps the Kiwa is too narrow band to allow the IBOC sidebands to come
through.

No, if I turn the "Regeneration" control all the way "open" it still
does not help. Only strong local signals can be heard in "IBOC mode".

[email protected] December 31st 05 10:51 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Fred E - N8UC wrote:

"The audio quality on the FM IBOC channels is about as good as a 256K
MP3. An analogue FM transmission is capable of MUCH better sound
quality (although only a few stations such as WFMT in Chicago or WQXR
in New York actually broadcast uncompressed FM analogue sound)."

Here we have to be careful about the term 'compression', especially in
tems of audio quality and digital audio through-put. 'Compression' in
the analog audio sense defines the process of 'squashing' an audio
signal - reducing its dynamic range - in an effort to make it of a more
consistent level. This is felt to be important by most radio
broadcasters for competitive reasons; the 'louder' stations are felt to
have more 'dial presence' and therefore are more able to capture
listeners scanning the dial. It is true that some high-powered
classical music stations employ very little compression, and yet analog
FM is always hampered by the 75 us audio pre-emphasis and the 10%
injection of the stereo sub-channel (which requires a hefty received
signal to get anywhere near a 60db S/N ratio - a pretty poor showing).

'Compression' as it relates to digital radio refers to the ammount of
(audio) data that is 'thrown away' due to the need to fit the signal
into the available bandwidth. The ubiquitous "MP3" at 128 kbps has
"thrown away" about 90% (ninety percent) of the material that was found
on the origianl (uncompressed) Compact Disc. The 'computer' programs
that perform this task are running a 'compression algorithim', and much
work is and has been done in this field. It is the basis of *ALL* of
the current crop of consumer / portable / personal music devices (Ipod
/ cell-phone audio / Internet Radio etc).

To illustrate: Fred E quantifies his IBOC FM experience as beig
similar to a 256 kbps MP3. In reality, FM IBOC stations are limited to
a total data through-put of 98 kbps, 2 kbps of which are reserved for
overhead and data. Hence, Fred E was listening to a 96 kbps signal.
Quite remarkable, really especially in a direct A-B comparisson between
most (uncompressed) source material and the recovered IBOC signal.

AM IBOC is limited to a bit rate of only 32 kbps (!) - about 95% of the
original data has been tossed overboard, and yet... Fred E and I will
have to disagree on the aural result, which has a lot to do with the
care the radio station has taken in their audio and RF infrastructure
(IBOC *mandates* a very flat antenna system, something most AM stations
have not historically had to consider. Hence, ones aural experiences,
especially in these young days of AM IBOC may vary). I too am a vetran
of C-Quam AM stereo, and IMHO IBOC has a much lower noise floor and
much better stereo separation.

Lastly, the "specifications" page of Fred E's Yamaha receiver (nice
unit!) :

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/r...4600_specs.htm

completely ignores the AM section. Hummm... could this be the trouble
with your AM IBOC reception...?

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

Brenda Ann January 1st 06 12:18 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

wrote in message
oups.com...
The feds are going to provide ATSC to NTSC converters free (cough
cough) of cost to the poor.

Cable and dish are a big part of the market. It isn't clear to me if
the feds are going to mandate that HD be delivered over those services.
Even if they feds do mandate HD to subscribers, there is cash flow to
recover the cost of new set top boxes.

The feds are not even mandating HD on OTA stations. As far as I can see,
most programming on DTV stations is in low res format (720i?) And I'm not
impressed in the least, analog looks much better (we're stuck with digital
satellite feed for our US/English content, and it looks like total garbage).

Byung Myung Sying January 1st 06 02:28 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Mike,
Thanks for your comments. When I spoke of "compression" being
responsible for the horrid sound of many of today's analogue FM
stations, I was speaking of compression in the analogue sense, in
other words, dynamic compression where there are no soft passages and
no loud passages, everything is the same loud obnoxious level.

As far as your comments on FM IBOC being 96K, I was well aware of that
fact. The issue is that the digital compression algorithm that they
use is much better than "a 96K MP3" and appears to me to have the
audio quality of a 256K MP3 (some harshness due to the "Simpson's
Rule" effect, but good enough for automobile listening and background
music).

All of my statements were based on empirical listening tests comparing
the sound of IBOC in AM and FM mode to AM stereo and analogue FM on a
Marantz 10B tuner etc.

As far as your comments on the AM section of the Yamaha RX-V4600, I
think that it's a fair to midland AM DX tuner. If you read my
statement carefully about the Lansing MI station, I said that the
analogue signal comes in with excellent signal (20 to 40 dB over S9 in
ham radio terms), but the IBOC "subcarrier" is not detected.

Your comments on the audio quality of AM IBOC disagree with my
empirical listening tests though, I still think that the Canadian AM
Stereo station CFCO is far superior to any of the 3 IBOC stations that
I've heard locally.

In conclusion, I think that AM IBOC is not going to go anywhere and is
indeed really pesky in terms of the QRN that it spews out, but that FM
IBOC has the promise of success due to the "narrowcasting" that's
possible using the alternate channels. Luckily, we here in Detroit
are seeing the advantages of FM IBOC with very interesting and
appealing "second HD channel" broadcasting by 9 local stations.

Fred E.

m II January 1st 06 02:39 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

wrote:

scareligous

I think you're on to something there. That's a good description of the
televangelist scum who twist the Word for War/Profit.

mike