Old January 1st 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

I think 720p is a minimum and it's 4x the resolution of NTSC. Going
from 720p to 1080i isn't that much of a difference, though you notice
the difference in a side by side comparison.

Brenda Ann wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
The feds are going to provide ATSC to NTSC converters free (cough
cough) of cost to the poor.

Cable and dish are a big part of the market. It isn't clear to me if
the feds are going to mandate that HD be delivered over those services.
Even if they feds do mandate HD to subscribers, there is cash flow to
recover the cost of new set top boxes.

The feds are not even mandating HD on OTA stations. As far as I can see,
most programming on DTV stations is in low res format (720i?) And I'm not
impressed in the least, analog looks much better (we're stuck with digital
satellite feed for our US/English content, and it looks like total garbage).

Old January 1st 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think 720p is a minimum and it's 4x the resolution of NTSC. Going
from 720p to 1080i isn't that much of a difference, though you notice
the difference in a side by side comparison.

May be 4x the resolution of a VHS VCR (but not even quite that, at SP speed
most get 270 lines), but not quite twice what regular broadcast NTSC
resolution is. And NTSC STILL looks better because there's no artifacting
in it, and no pixelization. Our satellite feed is so bad you can see
artifacts in it every time there is a rapid pan or sweep, and when you have
color gradients, you can see large amounts of pixelization in the
transitions. I'll keep my analog, thanks, even if that means never watching
OTA TV again.

Old January 1st 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

Kristoff Bonne wrote:
Gegroet,

dxAce schreef:
Hey, english is my thirth language. Perhaps can we continue this
discussion in dutch, french or german if you want.

No matter what language, you'll still be talking out your ass.
DRM = QRM

I'll translate that to "no, I don't speak any language other then
english and I'll just repeat my matra so to hide the fact I don't know
what else to say".

He doesn't even speak English very well. Instead of having a second or
third language, he's still struggling at the 60 percent point of the
first one.

He DOES score 100 percent in rudeness, though.

mike
Old January 1st 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Compression,as in some of those ISP providers for computers that claim
faster dial up speeds for dial up computers.Not really faster,but
muddled images.
cuhulin

Old January 1st 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think 720p is a minimum and it's 4x the resolution of NTSC. Going
from 720p to 1080i isn't that much of a difference, though you
notice the difference in a side by side comparison.

May be 4x the resolution of a VHS VCR (but not even quite that, at SP
speed most get 270 lines), but not quite twice what regular broadcast
NTSC resolution is. And NTSC STILL looks better because there's no
artifacting in it, and no pixelization. Our satellite feed is so bad
you can see artifacts in it every time there is a rapid pan or sweep,
and when you have color gradients, you can see large amounts of
pixelization in the transitions. I'll keep my analog, thanks, even if
that means never watching OTA TV again.

I think it is interesting that you bring up a similar point about
digital video that I have been expousing about radio digital audio.

It's all about trying to cram a digital signal bandwidth and digitized
signal resolution in an analog spectrum space. This not unlike trying to
put a square peg in a round hole. You can do it but the results are not
pretty.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old January 1st 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Well, if they don't protect the AM clear-channel stations any longer --
that will mess with coverage area maps - no doubt. And then just how
exactly will the advertising department sell evening drive time slots.
"We think on cloudy days you may reach this area, but on sunny days you
can only go so far. I suppose the FCC doesn't really want to deal with
all this which may be why they are doing the "whorehouse" thing. I
know I'm just an old fuddy duddy but it does seem that radio as we knew
it is going to be no longer. And I'm sure there will be great benefits
in the new system so to speak -- whatever that ends up being -- but for
now -- it's looking like " the good ole days" were really good.

Old January 2nd 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann

"norml" wrote in message
Even when listeners were still hooked by the romance of reception over
long
distances, sponsors had realized that advertising to anyone who lives more
than half a day's drive from the store is useless.

Norm

"RHF" wrotf:

DS,

The NAB is about "The Broadcasting Business" and a Corporation
with a Hundred Local Radio Stations can make more Money; then a
Corporation with a Few High Powered Clear Channel Radio Stations.

Thousands of Local 1KW, 5KW and 10KW AM Radios Stations
serve more People (Radio Listeners) and produce more Local Jobs
and Revenue plus Local Taxes that aggregate into a much larger
National Economy then a Few Clear Channel Big Stations.

The future of Free {Commercial} Broadcasting in the USA
is with IBOC - ? WHY ? - The NAB and the FCC Want It !

I disagree with RHF's part about producing more local jobs. In markets were
Infinity, ClearChannel and Entercom own most every station in the market,
there end up being far fewer jobs than if the stations were all owned by
different companies. In most markets these corporations have one or two
engineers to service all their stations, with only one office staff, and
often air personalities that pull duty at more than one outlet (all of which
are in the same building)

Old January 2nd 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 2 Jan 2006 01:02:39 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

BAD - I would agree that the trends in Broadcasting
are away from Full {Maximum} Employment ~ RHF

That is why I think that all Clear Channel Radio Stations
should be required by Rule, Regulation and Law to have
Locally Originate Programming with Live-on-the-Air
Talent from 5AM to 10AM and from 5PM to Midnight
Daily. Create 100 Independent Voices Across America
to Listen to Each Day and Night.
.
. .

Reagan saw to it that ''independent voices'' would disappear. The
last thing the Amerikkkan government wants is a wide spectrum of
ideas.

Old January 2nd 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default DaviD Writes - " The last thing the Amerikkkan government wants is a wide spectrum of ideas. "

DaviD Writes - " Reagan saw to it that ''independent voices''
would disappear. The last thing the Amerikkkan government
wants is a wide spectrum of ideas. "

DaviD - this is 'your' basic problem posting to this newsgroup.
'you' take an honest discussion of Trends in Radio Broadcasting
and turn it into a Political Hit Piece about former US President
Ronald "W" Reagan.

DaviD Question - Did anything change under Eight Years
of former US President Bill Clinton ? {Answer - NO !}

DaviD - Do 'you' Have Any Respect for the Members
of this NewGroup ?

DaviD - 'you choose to Spell American with a "KKK" instead of a 'c'.

DaviD - Do 'you' Have Any Love of 'your' Own Country ?

david - in will pray for a healing in your life - amen ~ RHF .