Old January 9th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Icefish

Default Help-New Sangean can't pick up any SW/LW ???

I got a Sangean ATS 505 for Christmas and can't seem to pick up
anything. I've scanned several frequencies/sites listed on the web,
moved the antenna around, day and night, used the external antenna,
etc. etc. Can't seem to raise a thing! Been trying for several days
now...what could I be missing.
Icefish

PS. I live in central NH so interference is minimal...do have Linksys
and repeater in house along with a couple cordless phones - could that
be doing it?

Thanks in Advance

Old January 9th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You can try unplugging your Linksys and cordless phones and some other
things.Dont unplug your computer suddenly without first shutting it down
properly,major damage to your computer can result because of that.
cuhulin

Old January 10th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Have you verified that you can, or can't, get standard stations like
WWV (5, 10, 15Mhz)? How about the AM broadcast band in your area?

That's the first thing I would do -- particularly check that you can or
can't get WWV on 5 or 10Mhz at night.

It could be as simple as a mode problem -- you have the radio set to FM
or SSB but are trying to receive broadcast shortwave (which is AM).

What kind of antenna do you have on it?

greg

Old January 10th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Icefish

I'll try shutting down a couple computers.

I can receive AM and FM quite well, some NYC and Ohio AM stations have
come in just fine.

I did try the 5, 10 and 15 Mhz after reading that those were major
freq's. WhenI get back I'll try them again as well as switching the
modes around again - I know I tried several modes, had the red light
come on telling me I was in SSB, nada, the ext antenna is the one that
came with the radio, it winds up in a small disc -- I streched it out
across the beams in my ceiling, tried with and without the ext.
antenna...I do hear static, and it almost sounds like I can faintly
hear a station but it stays the same as I scroll up / down, I've tried
the 1 khz step too...I see the green light come on indicating it's
spotted a signal but nothing...tried the fine tune too

What will I hear on the WWV 5,10, 15 - is that the time stations
reserved by gov't I read about?

thnaks for the help - I'll try again Thursday night

Old January 10th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Icefish

Hmmm, thanks Charly I'll try that. I did have my laptop next to me as
I was looking up frequencies and noticed a significant difference when
it was plugged in to AC or not. I'll try running on batteries in a
couple days and see if that does it.

thanks!
Icefish