Old January 24th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Good radio listening speaker

I have a nice die-cast Radio Shack bookshelf speaker I bought probably
15 years ago that I use on my SW/Ham radios. It's not a perfect speaker
but it's fairly mellow, not at all tinny, and extremely durable.

I think Radio Shack sold them as outdoor/patio type speakers when I
bought them and I seem to recall the name "Minimus-7".

I go to look at Radio Shack and they don't have anything like this
anymore. They've got some really crappy plastic-tinny sounding speakers
that I don't like at all, and would probably break the first time I
looked at it funny.

What speakers are available in durable die-cast housings these days?
And I hate tinny sound (like comes out of a PC-clone speaker). I
refuse (just out of abhorrence of the sound) to look at any PC or
PC-with-amplified-subwoofer crap speakers.

Did I mention that I don't want any PC speakers, and they all sound
awful? (Hint, hint, DO NOT SUGGEST THIS OPTION!)

Tim.

Old January 24th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
John S.

wrote:
[...]

I agree, the Minimus 7 speaker worked very well for shortwave listening.

Old January 24th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael Lawson

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You can find minimus-7's and 77's on eBay. I
found a couple at a yard sale last year. If you
find one and you want to upgrade it a bit,
you can go to partsexpress.com and you
can find a project there that someone did to
replace the drivers in the minimus-77's to
achieve better sound.

--Mike L.

Old January 24th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
RHF

ML,

The way 'we' the Visualize Words that make-up a Link/URL .

Some See "partsexpress.com" as : Parts Express .Com

while others see "partsexpress.com" as : Part Sex Press .Com

with both my eyes crossed - xx ~ RHF

Old January 24th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A good heavy speaker mounted in a wood box/cabinet.Good quality heavy
wood.And there are ways you can build partitions in the wood cabinet to
redirect the speaker sound,sort of like Bose Wave Radios.
cuhulin

Old January 24th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael Lawson

"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...
ML,

The way 'we' the Visualize Words that make-up a Link/URL .

Some See "partsexpress.com" as : Parts Express .Com

while others see "partsexpress.com" as : Part Sex Press .Com

with both my eyes crossed - xx ~ RHF

At my old job, I used to not get to Parts Express'
website for just that reason.

--Mike L.

Old January 25th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael A. Terrell

Michael Lawson wrote:

At my old job, I used to not get to Parts Express'
website for just that reason.

The IT department wouldn't let us access "Accurate Screw Machine
Company", and they were our source for oddball electronics hardware.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old January 25th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Back in the olden days,all companies had names like Acme or Ace.(unless
it was a company in the old Three Stooges movies such as,We
Beatem,Cheatem & Screwem) There is an Ace Bolt & Screw company here in
Jackson that sells fasterners.
cuhulin

Old February 4th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Michael Lawson wrote:
wrote in message
What speakers are available in durable die-cast housings these days?

You can find minimus-7's and 77's on eBay.

I did, they arrived, I hooked them up and after a couple of hours they
were just like my other 15-year old Minimus-7's - the foam surround
crumbled and fell off the driver.

Well, now I have 6 Minimus-7's, 5 with basically zero foam surround
left and one that's just on the verge of falling into pieces.

I gotta learn how to fix these foam surrounds! Either that or buy some
brand new drivers.

Tim.