Old February 7th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Default The end?

John S. wrote:

adam214 wrote:
Do you think that SW will become irrelevant and just a platform for
political extremists and fundies?

Shortwave is but one of many media used by governments, commercial
broadcasters, religious groups, political groups, private individuals
and others to get information out to their respective audiences.
Shortwave is gradually being abandoned by government and commercial
broadcasters because there are more effective, reliable and less costly
ways of getting the message out to the intended audience.

I think that shortwave will be used in specific situations, such as:
listeners too scattered to be served by AM/FM, listeners too poor to
afford computers or satellite dishes. I think that governments like Iran
and Cuba will continue to use SW to get their propaganda out since they
can't do it any other way. In the US it is very dangerous to your health
to frequent jihadi websites; shortwave provides a way to keep up with
what the enemy is thinking without having to worry about being tracked
and arrested as an enemy combatant.

I don't know whether the question of whether broadcasting on shortwave
is relevant or not because you have to define who it is relevant to. I
think it is safe to say that listening to news and music on shortwave
is less popular than it once was for many listeners given the limited
number of shortwave radios that are produced today.

This topic has come up several times before. I remember one fellow
from south america who was directly involved in commercial
broadcasting. He indicated rebroadcast signals on MW, FM and
increasingly internet were far more reliable and reached a larger
audience more consistently than sending signals by shortwave. He got
into a long winded argument with some dxers about what those decisions
meant for the hobby. His comments were essentially that broadcasts
(all media) are targeted at listeners and not collectors of QSL cards.

Indeed. But I can imagine situations where shortwave would be the better
choice. In South America, like in North America, people are increasingly
abandoning the countryside for the cities, so in that case AM and FM
would be better. That is not the case everywhere, and sometimes
geography prevents it.

Old February 7th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

David wrote:

On 7 Feb 2006 07:53:54 -0800, "John S." wrote:

adam214 wrote:
[...]

Fewer radios are built because there are fewer listeners. The only
people in North America who buy SWBC receivers are hobbyists and
religious fanatics. News junkies have moved on to the internets,
satellite radio and the overnight BBC on Public Radio.

I see. So you're only here to post anti-Bush screeds? Can't you post
those somewhere else, like alt.anti-w? Also, do you know that the BBC on
public radio is a bowdlerized version of the real thing, cut and pasted
to avoid angering the govt?

Old February 7th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:27:41 -0800, running dogg wrote:

David wrote:

I see. So you're only here to post anti-Bush screeds? Can't you post
those somewhere else, like alt.anti-w? Also, do you know that the BBC on
public radio is a bowdlerized version of the real thing, cut and pasted
to avoid angering the govt?

Other than a 30 second underwriting announcement covering up a Beeb
program promo the stream is pure North American Service (which is
pretty much identical to the Asian service except for East Asia Today.

I didn't say anything about any bushes.

Old February 7th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

running dogg wrote:
John S. wrote:

adam214 wrote:
Do you think that SW will become irrelevant and just a platform for
political extremists and fundies?

Shortwave is but one of many media used by governments, commercial
broadcasters, religious groups, political groups, private individuals
and others to get information out to their respective audiences.
Shortwave is gradually being abandoned by government and commercial
broadcasters because there are more effective, reliable and less costly
ways of getting the message out to the intended audience.

I think that shortwave will be used in specific situations, such as:
listeners too scattered to be served by AM/FM, listeners too poor to
afford computers or satellite dishes. I think that governments like Iran
and Cuba will continue to use SW to get their propaganda out since they
can't do it any other way.

The guy from south america indicated that they were using rebroadcasted
AM and satellite downlinks to create local radio stations that were far
more reliable for remote locations. Still there are some people in the
boonies that will be missed under such an approach. I have to wonder
how many of those was out in the sticks really care abut interacting
with the world though. For example those poor people way up in the
mountains of Pakistan who have no interest in leaving their world
probably also have no interest in learning about happenings in
Islamabad let alone the U.S.A. or the U.K.

In the US it is very dangerous to your health
to frequent jihadi websites; shortwave provides a way to keep up with
what the enemy is thinking without having to worry about being tracked
and arrested as an enemy combatant.

I don't know if the risk is all that great if you are looking for
reliable information. I don't know if the Help Wanted section of a
Jihadi website would be a particularly useful source of information
assuming you could: 1. Find it. 2. Translate and understand the
information. Al Jazeera (my poor spelling) is accepted as a legitimate
(if not agreeable) source of information about a very different world
for most westerners and is available in more than one media but not
shortwave to the best of my knowlege.

[...]

Yes, geography prevents line-of-site broadcasts, but it would appear
that alternatives other than shortwave are being pursued for those in
some rural areas.

Old February 7th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...p?NetwID=50433

Old February 7th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

David wrote:
On 7 Feb 2006 10:07:05 -0800, "John S." wrote:

Al Jazeera (my poor spelling) is accepted as a legitimate
(if not agreeable) source of information about a very different world
for most westerners and is available in more than one media but not
shortwave to the best of my knowlege.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...p?NetwID=50433

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that Al Jazeera has shortwave
coverage with that link?

Old February 7th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A couple of weeks ago,I read that the Governor of North Dakota wants to
use three blimps so the whole State of North Dakota can have cell phone
service.The blimps would be much less expensive than putting up more
cell phone towers.I don't know if a similar set up would work for
Shortwave listening out in the Country.
cuhulin

Old February 7th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"adam214" wrote in message
Do you think that SW will become irrelevant and just a platform for
political extremists and fundies?.Because as the good services such as
bbc world service roll back there service, these people i mentioned are
intensifying there efforts and i increasingly hear these people whilst
looking around.Because these good services i mentioned are increasingly
are becoming Internet-centered.I hate to see this day come because SW is
a great medium,i enjoy the diversity of it which sometimes the Internet
cant even match.I would hate to see such a great medium to go to waste
on these idiots.I think this is the great threat to SW radio and its
future,if these people get a foothold in this medium it will give
government (im not just talking about china either) to jam SW signals
and restrict sales of SW radios, if it gets a reputation as a medium for
these people.

DISCUSS!

Yours truly
Adam

Don't get upset with the evangalists and political talkers. These guys are
on SW because they want to broadcast on SW. If SW is becoming "irrelevant",
it's because the "good services" don't think SW broadcasting is worth the
money.

And the medium will not go to waste. It will be used by those who want to
use it. Sure, those who want to use SW might be end timers and
conspiranoics. So what? The medium will be there for ANYONE who wants to
use it. Time on the US SW broadcasters is available. If you wanted to, you
could broadcast your own recordings on SW radio.

And I really doubt a foriegn country would bother jamming the likes of
Brother Stair and Alex Jones. I'm sure they have practically no listeners
in non-English speaking countries.

The "idiots", as you characterize them, are doing no harm to SW radio.
You're free to ignore them, and there's no need to waste any anger on them.
If you want to be upset with any SW broadcasters, think about those who are
abandoning the media.

Frank Dresser

Old February 7th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 7 Feb 2006 11:11:18 -0800, "John S." wrote:

David wrote:
On 7 Feb 2006 10:07:05 -0800, "John S." wrote:

Al Jazeera (my poor spelling) is accepted as a legitimate
(if not agreeable) source of information about a very different world
for most westerners and is available in more than one media but not
shortwave to the best of my knowlege.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...p?NetwID=50433

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that Al Jazeera has shortwave
coverage with that link?

It says that your Al Jazeera is available via the very short waves of
the DiSH Network.