Old February 7th 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
adam214

Default The end?

Do you think that SW will become irrelevant and just a platform for
political extremists and fundies?.Because as the good services such as
bbc world service roll back there service, these people i mentioned are
intensifying there efforts and i increasingly hear these people whilst
looking around.Because these good services i mentioned are increasingly
are becoming Internet-centered.I hate to see this day come because SW is
a great medium,i enjoy the diversity of it which sometimes the Internet
cant even match.I would hate to see such a great medium to go to waste
on these idiots.I think this is the great threat to SW radio and its
future,if these people get a foothold in this medium it will give
government (im not just talking about china either) to jam SW signals
and restrict sales of SW radios, if it gets a reputation as a medium for
these people.

DISCUSS!

Yours truly
Adam
Old February 7th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I think SW will be here for a long time to come but you are correct in
that major broadcasters are moving away from SW to the 'net but I
suspect with the beeb this is more to do with funding than common
sense. The beeb is a shadow of it's former self. It went down hill with
the appointment of John Birt and as far as the world service goes has
they are still rolling downhill fast....
On the bright side I think we'll still have good broadcasting on SW for
years to come.
Alan

Old February 7th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Invader3K

SW will always be around, but I have a feeling that if it's going to
grow anywhere, it's going to be in the Third World (Africa, South
America, Southeast Asia, etc).

Old February 7th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:30:48 +1030, adam214
wrote:

[...]

SWBC is irrelevant in advanced civilizations. There are more user
friendly platforms that are much easier on the ears.

Old February 7th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Are you just talking about commercial SW broadcasts? If so, my guess is
they'll continue to decline, but they're just one slice of the pie.
Everything else that we listen to on SW will still be there, and the
presence of fewer commercial broadcast stations will, I hope, open up
some exciting DX opportunties. This is a good time to be into SW.

Steve

Old February 7th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

adam214 wrote:
Do you think that SW will become irrelevant and just a platform for
political extremists and fundies?

Shortwave is but one of many media used by governments, commercial
broadcasters, religious groups, political groups, private individuals
and others to get information out to their respective audiences.
Shortwave is gradually being abandoned by government and commercial
broadcasters because there are more effective, reliable and less costly
ways of getting the message out to the intended audience.

I don't know whether the question of whether broadcasting on shortwave
is relevant or not because you have to define who it is relevant to. I
think it is safe to say that listening to news and music on shortwave
is less popular than it once was for many listeners given the limited
number of shortwave radios that are produced today.

This topic has come up several times before. I remember one fellow
from south america who was directly involved in commercial
broadcasting. He indicated rebroadcast signals on MW, FM and
increasingly internet were far more reliable and reached a larger
audience more consistently than sending signals by shortwave. He got
into a long winded argument with some dxers about what those decisions
meant for the hobby. His comments were essentially that broadcasts
(all media) are targeted at listeners and not collectors of QSL cards.

Old February 7th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 7 Feb 2006 07:53:54 -0800, "John S." wrote:

adam214 wrote:
[...]

Fewer radios are built because there are fewer listeners. The only
people in North America who buy SWBC receivers are hobbyists and
religious fanatics. News junkies have moved on to the internets,
satellite radio and the overnight BBC on Public Radio.

Old February 7th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Invader3K wrote:

SW will always be around, but I have a feeling that if it's going to
grow anywhere, it's going to be in the Third World (Africa, South
America, Southeast Asia, etc).

Probably so. In many parts of the world, the population is too scattered
to be effectively served by AM and FM, and too poor to afford the
internet or satellite. The reason the BBC keeps broadcasting English to
the Caribbean is because it's less expensive than establishing FM relays
in all the former British colonies scattered across the sea. It also has
the side effect of getting a couple hundred listeners in the southern
US. In the future, there will be less English on SW because most
countries that speak English are advanced enough to not need SW.

Old February 7th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

adam214 wrote:
[...]

That's it in a nutshell: SW listeners = Demand for SW radios. There
are far more comprehensive and up-to-date sources of information than
VOA or BBC on shortwave.