Old February 7th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob

Default Odd identifier heard on 416.23KHz LSB ?

I've been doing a lot of beacon hunting the last few nights and I've
found an identifier that I cannot seem to lookup anywhere.

The beacon IDs VIN but the interval carrier is prefixed with two dits
before the long tone. It sounds like VINI but there's no pause or any
appreciable space between the two dits that come before the long
interval carrier tone.

In other words:

dit dit dit dah dit dit dah dit dit dit dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyone able to help ID this one?

Thanks!
B.
Old February 8th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Buzzygirl

In other words:

dit dit dit dah dit dit dah dit dit dit dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyone able to help ID this one?

Where are you located, and when did you hear the identifier? I'm wondering
if the identifier is correct-- it seems like "VIN" from what you describe,
but I can't find anything close to that near that frequency.

Jackie

Old February 8th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob

Interesting thing about this particular beacon's modulation. It appears
to be VIN with a peculiar dit-dit jammed right in front of the interval,
but this is not the case. It's an AM carrier with the upper sideband
only. This causes you to hear on 416.23KHz in LSB:

di di di dah, di dit, dah dit, di di dahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
(VIN nor VINI can't be found anywhere in anyone's LF logs)

but in USB on 416.00 you hear:

dah di di dit, dah di dah, di dah di dit

which is listed as BKL, 416KHz, Cleveland, less than 200 miles away.
(this makes a lot of sense!)

One less mystery for the books.

Old February 8th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have a few tips. One might be to run ARGO
http://www.weaksignals.com/
This program help to see the Morse code though all the noise.

Second, if you have a CW filter, you can try to tune off the carrier,
i.e. where the Morse sideband is heard, around +/- 800 hz. If you have
pass band tuning, this is easier as you just tune to the carrier, then
shift the passband +/- 800 hz for US beacon, or 400Hz for Canadian
beacons.

If you run ARGO, don't use the CW filter. I've found the display to be
clearer just using a 2khz filter.

The long "dahhhhh" is Canadian.

An "undocumented" beacon just south of your beacon is at 414Khz, PYD,
somewhere on the Nevada Test Site or maybe Area 51. It's one of a few
beacons not documented. The others are 278, XSD, at the Tonopah Test
Range, and 209KHz at Basecamp.