Old March 3rd 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Caveat Lector

Default Sign off with 73 followed by 99

Heard this on the Ham Bands
I know what 73 means (Best Regards)
But what's with 99 ??
CB 10-99 ??

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old March 4th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Caveat Lector wrote:

Heard this on the Ham Bands
I know what 73 means (Best Regards)
But what's with 99 ??
CB 10-99 ??

I think it comes from the same place that 73 comes from, an old
telegraph code (Philips telegraph code?). The code is a two digit
number. Don't know what it means though.

Old March 4th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tom Holden

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
Heard this on the Ham Bands
I know what 73 means (Best Regards)
But what's with 99 ??

I was intrigued by your question - Googling finds an article "TELEGRAPHIC
CODES OF MORSE AND MEN by Kenneth Brown G0PSW" in which he says "The U.S.
1908 Dodge's Manual gives today's definition of 73 as "best regards". Other
Dodge numbers were 88 (love and kisses), 55 (lots of success), and 99 (get
lost, which was probably unofficial)."

http://www.qsl.net/w5www/73.html#73
http://www.ac6v.com/73.htm

The use of 73 and 99 together seems rather ambivalent!

Tom

Old March 4th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tom Holden

"Tom Holden" wrote in message
.. .
"The U.S. 1908 Dodge's Manual gives today's definition of 73 as "best
regards". Other Dodge numbers were 88 (love and kisses), 55 (lots of
success), and 99 (get lost, which was probably unofficial)."

"Dodge wrote this book for use by the students at his Institute of
Telegraphy in Valparaiso, Indiana."
http://artifaxbooks.com/afxrare/dodge.htm

Old March 4th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Caveat Lector

Thanks Tom

Had an old ham say he was taught 99 was the same as 88

Any other inputs ? Must be some old telegraphers out there !

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"Tom Holden" wrote in message
.. .
.. .

Old March 4th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

Caveat Lector wrote:
Thanks Tom

Had an old ham say he was taught 99 was the same as 88

Any other inputs ? Must be some old telegraphers out there !

Yeah, well..I'm kinda rusty since I retired in 1927...

mike
Old March 4th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Caveat Lector

Shipboard wireless telegraphy was in use to just a few years ago

From URL; http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/backg.../hq-ac75_e.htm
"The era of Morse telegraphy ended in Canada on November 19, 1996, when
radio operator Vern Hillier sent the last Morse code message from the
Canadian Coast Guard Radio station at Ketch Harbour Nova Scotia."

Old March 4th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

From URL; http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/backg.../hq-ac75_e.htm
"The era of Morse telegraphy ended in Canada on November 19, 1996, when
radio operator Vern Hillier sent the last Morse code message from the
Canadian Coast Guard Radio station at Ketch Harbour Nova Scotia."

We REAL telegraphers KNOW that you need a 'singing wire' strung on
wooden poles planted in buffalo dung for genuine Morse Code
communication to happen.

CW is NOT Morse Code and is the equivalent of QRM in the hard wired
communication field.

Excuse me now, I have to practice my Western Union splices
again....where are those spurs..

mike
Old March 4th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
k35454

From URL; http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/backg.../hq-ac75_e.htm
"The era of Morse telegraphy ended in Canada on November 19, 1996, when
radio operator Vern Hillier sent the last Morse code message from the
Canadian Coast Guard Radio station at Ketch Harbour Nova Scotia."

We REAL telegraphers KNOW that you need a 'singing wire' strung on
wooden poles planted in buffalo dung for genuine Morse Code
communication to happen.

CW is NOT Morse Code and is the equivalent of QRM in the hard wired
communication field.

Excuse me now, I have to practice my Western Union splices
again....where are those spurs..

mike

When I was back in Grade 8 just before the Depression, I believe
we twisted some wires to make
the Western Union Short-Tie Splice. k35454.

Old March 6th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

k35454 wrote:

When I was back in Grade 8 just before the Depression, I believe
we twisted some wires to make
the Western Union Short-Tie Splice. k35454.

I remember them well. Start with two wires having a ninety degree bend
in each....

mike