Old March 6th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Reno SWL's Please Help

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 19:20:05 GMT, "W Page Pyne"
wrote:

http://www.hamradio.com/web/swl.html

HRO SWL Page

Old March 6th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Radio TexMex

David wrote:

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 14:01:38 -0600, Radio TexMex
wrote:

David wrote:

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:23:48 -0600, Radio TexMex
wrote:

Teenagedeathboy wrote:

I'm an SWL in Reno, Nv and I can't seem to find anywhere other than
Radio Shack to purchase a good shortwave reciever. I've had a Grundig
YB400 for a couple of years now and I want to expand on my listening
post. Circuit City and other consumer electronics stores sell
mini-portables and such but those are not what I am looking for. A
porta-top or tabletop model like a Sattilite 800 or the new Eton E1
would be nice.... does anyone know where I can get these in Reno?
Thanks.

Not interested in Ebay? There is a wide variety of radios for SWLs on
eBay, and if you do some homework, smart bidding and patience you might
find a good deal.

- Matt
Ick!

Care to expand on that for me?

eBay reminds me of garage sales. Besides, stuff costs more on eBay
than it does from stores.

Sounds good, whatever. I frequent both garage sales and eBay. Sometimes I
find good deals at both places.

- Matt
Old March 6th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Thal70

There is no place in Reno that I know of that sells higher end shortwave (I
lived there a while ago). There used to be a place on Mill St. just east of
395 but that is closed down I believe. Circuit City may carry the Eton. You
may have to research on the internet and find a good on-line store to
purchase from, like Universal or Grove Enterprises.

oups.com...

Old March 6th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article .com,
"Teenagedeathboy" wrote:

I'm an SWL in Reno, Nv and I can't seem to find anywhere other than
Radio Shack to purchase a good shortwave reciever. I've had a Grundig
YB400 for a couple of years now and I want to expand on my listening
post. Circuit City and other consumer electronics stores sell
mini-portables and such but those are not what I am looking for. A
porta-top or tabletop model like a Sattilite 800 or the new Eton E1
would be nice.... does anyone know where I can get these in Reno?
Thanks.

I have bought most of my radios at Universal in Ohio. Find what you want
on their web site and call them up and order over the phone.
New and used equipment http://www.universal-radio.com/

There are other places on the web you can shop like Grove.
http://www.grove-ent.com/

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 7th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article .com,

I have bought most of my radios at Universal in Ohio. Find what you want
on their web site and call them up and order over the phone.
New and used equipment http://www.universal-radio.com/

I have been buying from Universal for many years, and find them reliable,
honest and knowledgeable.

Old March 7th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 00:49:00 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article .com,

I have bought most of my radios at Universal in Ohio. Find what you want
on their web site and call them up and order over the phone.
New and used equipment http://www.universal-radio.com/

I have been buying from Universal for many years, and find them reliable,
honest and knowledgeable.

I get excellent service from HRO in Burbank. Nice folks.

Old March 7th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

"David" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 00:49:00 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article .com,

I have bought most of my radios at Universal in Ohio. Find what you want
on their web site and call them up and order over the phone.
New and used equipment http://www.universal-radio.com/

I have been buying from Universal for many years, and find them reliable,
honest and knowledgeable.

I get excellent service from HRO in Burbank. Nice folks.

They are. I have picked up some used stuff there, and, for a ham place, they
are knowledgeable of SWL gear and antennas, too. It helps if you are an
ex-ham, also.

Old March 7th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve

No, you tell them that you're really serious about rehab time and your
check really is good this time.

Old March 7th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

David - If I was home in OK-Land, CA
I'd look out the window and say - Yep ! ~ RHF
Old March 7th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Teenagedeathboy wrote:

I'm an SWL in Reno, Nv and I can't seem to find anywhere other than
Radio Shack to purchase a good shortwave reciever. I've had a Grundig
YB400 for a couple of years now and I want to expand on my listening
post. Circuit City and other consumer electronics stores sell
mini-portables and such but those are not what I am looking for. A
porta-top or tabletop model like a Sattilite 800 or the new Eton E1
would be nice.... does anyone know where I can get these in Reno?
Thanks.

Unfortunately, you'll have to rely on ebay to get a SW radio these days.
The last ham radio store in Sacramento, a much bigger city, closed years
ago. The Ham Radio Outlet stores in the SF and LA areas now serve the
entire western US. Besides, buying a radio direct from China saves you a
ton of money. Look for liypn's V-COM-COLLECTIONS ebay store, you can
find Degens and Tecsuns there. Best is a tie between the Degen 1102 and
the 1103, it's really a matter of personal preference since they perform
about the same. If you truly want a tabletop, you can get used Icoms on
ebay for a few hundred bucks. Drakes get bid up too high. There are very
few tabletops being made new, and those that are cost $1500 or more. If
you want a tabletop, your best bet is to look for Icoms on ebay, search
for "Icom receiver". Some of the entries will show the radio on a red
velvet background, those are listings from Martyn who calls himself
radio-mart who is a fraudulent seller. Avoid radio-mart at all costs.