Old March 17th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Beloved Leader

Default BBC Programs Heard on DC-area FM stations.

**** That's not the World Service. The BBCWS is a seperate entitiy
with
what are regarded as much higher standards than the rest of the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/us/index.shtml

The distinction is not readily apparent to me....****

Me either. It comes on at 7 a.m. on channel 56 (in northern Virginia),
I think. One of those channels.

Old March 17th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 17 Mar 2006 13:20:12 -0800, "junius" wrote:

David wrote:
BBC World is joint venture with Discovery Channel, AIR.

Okay, I see that BBC World Ltd recently entered into a partnership with
Discovery for the distribution of the BBC World channel in the United
States. In your previous message, though, what's with the "AIR" bit?

As I Recall...

Al Jazeera's on DiSH Network.

Old March 17th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 17 Mar 2006 13:39:43 -0800, "junius" wrote:

w/regard to "BBC World" in the USA:

http://www.bbcworld.com/insite/conte...asp?pageid=484

BBC World is the BBC's commercially funded international news and
information television channel, broadcasting in English 24 hours a day
for a global audience. BBC World can be received in 270 million homes
in over 200 countries around the world. Of these 128 million homes
receive the channel on a 24-hour basis. In addition over 1,000,000
hotel rooms, 23 airlines and 25 cruise ships also carry the channel.

Not the World Service.

''BBC World Service is funded by a Parliamentary grant-in-aid,
administered by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office of the British
government. The FCO, in close consultation with World Service, is
involved in the process of deciding which languages are broadcast ,
but editorial control of the programmes rests entirely with BBC''.

Old March 17th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

junius wrote:
John S. wrote:
David wrote:
On 17 Mar 2006 06:30:55 -0800, "John S." wrote:

The unique value of public radio and television lies is the breadth of
the sources and depth of the coverage. And that comment extends
beyond news and analysis to documentaries and dramatic series as well.
I was literally spellbound by the Ken Burns Civil War series and
dramatic programs the quality of Upstairs Downstairs are common.

Right, I myself love to watch American Experience. Then there's
Frontline....excellent TV journalism.
My very favorite PBS program, though, is Masterpiece Theatre
(previously Exxon Mobil Masterpiece Theatre, before our friends at
Exxon pulled their financial backing). Bleak House, which recently
aired on Masterpiece Theatre, was a top-notch drama in every way.
Amazingly well done. A lot of the dramas aired on Masterpiece Theatre
seem to be BBC productions, although Kidnapped (which was aired this
past autumn) was the product of some production company in New Zealand.

Of course, there are some duds here and there on PBS... Charlie Rose
is the ultimate in mediocrity, even if he does on occasion have an
interesting guests. I won't comment on Boohbah; that's something
you'll have to experience on your own www.boohbah.com/zone.html

Yeah, I've really tried to like the Rose show. It's just kind of plain
vanilla....

Old March 18th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I never pay any attention to bbc and pbr.I easily find real news
elsewhere.
cuhulin

Old March 18th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I quit messin with that silly greasy kidstuff (bbc and pbr) when I got
satellite tv and internet access.
cuhulin

Old March 18th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:11:11 -0600, wrote:

I quit messin with that silly greasy kidstuff (bbc and pbr) when I got
satellite tv and internet access.
cuhulin

Where on satellite TV do you find real news?

Old March 18th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Depends on where I am, really, as to how reception is. It can be
difficult in D.C. and NOVA, given the many strong local signals which
can easily overload a cheap FM receiver (even w/antenna down). Radios
w/a good FM section, like the E1, would be able to pull WBJC out, even
in the worst locale. With my Sangean 606A, however, receiving WBJC is
a hopeless affair in D.C. proper and in Arlington and Alexandria
counties.

Beloved Leader wrote:
**classical music fans have been the main losers in WETA's content
overhaul.**

Can you get WBJC where you are? I have heard it on a car radio as far
south as Culpeper VA.

Old March 18th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Where? Satellite uplinks and satellite downlinks via the internet and
www.supertalkms.com and www.wjtv.com and www.wlbt.com
and www.wapt.com and www.MagnoliaReport.com and
www.GulfCoastNews.com and www.kidon.com (whichever of my
favorite online news sites there a kidon) and online Ireland and
Scotland newspapers.And me gut hunches and some of my pen pals around
the World.
cuhulin

Old March 18th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bbc World news comes on my DirecTV several times each day and night,next
transtamission is on at 5:00 AM,but I wont watch it.I actually did try
to watch that bbc biased crap once or twice about a year ago.They need
to get a better lookin woman on there!
cuhulin