Old March 17th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default BBC Programs Heard on DC-area FM stations.

David wrote:
On 17 Mar 2006 07:50:31 -0800, "John S." wrote:

The World Service is not on television.

Not sure what you are talking about. I copied this from
WETA: 6:00 pm BBC World News

That's not the World Service. The BBCWS is a seperate entitiy with
what are regarded as much higher standards than the rest of the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/us/index.shtml

Interesting, I had simply thought that the 30-min news segments aired
on such stations as WHUT, MPT, and WETA were BBC WS television
feeds....the 30-min news segments that air every hour on the BBC WS
television schedule.
http://www.bbcworld.com/content/temp...geid=668#start

Sometimes when these 30 min segments go off, you can well see that
further BBC news content is being continued but that your local station
is carrying only a half-hour snip of a larger news program...

Old March 17th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

John S. wrote:
David wrote:
On 17 Mar 2006 06:30:55 -0800, "John S." wrote:

The unique value of public radio and television lies is the breadth of
the sources and depth of the coverage. And that comment extends
beyond news and analysis to documentaries and dramatic series as well.
I was literally spellbound by the Ken Burns Civil War series and
dramatic programs the quality of Upstairs Downstairs are common.

Right, I myself love to watch American Experience. Then there's
Frontline....excellent TV journalism.
My very favorite PBS program, though, is Masterpiece Theatre
(previously Exxon Mobil Masterpiece Theatre, before our friends at
Exxon pulled their financial backing). Bleak House, which recently
aired on Masterpiece Theatre, was a top-notch drama in every way.
Amazingly well done. A lot of the dramas aired on Masterpiece Theatre
seem to be BBC productions, although Kidnapped (which was aired this
past autumn) was the product of some production company in New Zealand.

Of course, there are some duds here and there on PBS... Charlie Rose
is the ultimate in mediocrity, even if he does on occasion have an
interesting guests. I won't comment on Boohbah; that's something
you'll have to experience on your own www.boohbah.com/zone.html

Old March 17th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ed

John S. wrote:
Ed wrote:
John,

Although I am not a cheerleader for Public Broadcasting, I agree with
you about having many news sources. It's a reason why I listen to World
Band.

But it's not the only one. I like messing about with antennas and
software to improve reception/dsp on my Ten-Tec Rx-320. If I did not
enjoy that, I'd be more than happy with podcasts via WRN.

When it comes to SWL, process is as important as product.

Me too. I'm an unrepentant knob twister....
But I do enjoy the programs on Radio Australia, Radio China and Radio
Havana and of course the Beeb.

Don't forget Radio Prague. It's the rare broadcast that does not refer
with contempt to its erstwhile Communist overlords and/or the Nazis.
Listening to the people who lived through such times puts things into
perspective.

And some of the female newsreaders have sultry voices. Woo. Woo.

As for the BEEB, its editorialists are as bad as ours. But unlike our
MSM, it still has correspondents all over the world. For pure
reporting, they're hard to beat.
Old March 17th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 17 Mar 2006 10:16:25 -0800, "junius" wrote:

David wrote:

NPR is pretty world class with their newscasts. The closest
domestically produced programs generally available in the USA, at any
rate.

PRI also does an excellent job, in partnership with WGBH and the BBC
on ''The World'', middays.

Agreed, "The World" is an excellent news product. NPR's
top-of-the-hour news briefings are well done, too. NPR's two flagship
programs, Morning Edition and All Things Considered, are okay, although
something of a mixed bag. I sometimes find myself tuning away when
they attempt the occasional folksy human interest stories (it's just
not something that NPR does well, in my opinion). Oh, and then there's
some Romanian guy (Codrescu) who attempts these humor spots on All
Things Considered....ughhh....I'd rather listen to nothing at all than
to endure that guy.

He's a Louisianan. Has been for about 20 years now.

Old March 17th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 17 Mar 2006 10:23:34 -0800, "junius" wrote:

David wrote:
On 17 Mar 2006 07:50:31 -0800, "John S." wrote:

The World Service is not on television.

Not sure what you are talking about. I copied this from
WETA: 6:00 pm BBC World News

That's not the World Service. The BBCWS is a seperate entitiy with
what are regarded as much higher standards than the rest of the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/us/index.shtml

Interesting, I had simply thought that the 30-min news segments aired
on such stations as WHUT, MPT, and WETA were BBC WS television
feeds....the 30-min news segments that air every hour on the BBC WS
television schedule.
http://www.bbcworld.com/content/temp...geid=668#start

Sometimes when these 30 min segments go off, you can well see that
further BBC news content is being continued but that your local station
is carrying only a half-hour snip of a larger news program...

BBC World is joint venture with Discovery Channel, AIR.

Old March 17th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

David wrote:
BBC World is joint venture with Discovery Channel, AIR.

Okay, I see that BBC World Ltd recently entered into a partnership with
Discovery for the distribution of the BBC World channel in the United
States. In your previous message, though, what's with the "AIR" bit?

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=Breaking+News

Discovery To Distribute BBC World

By Anne Becker -- Broadcasting & Cable, 1/25/2006 10:58:00 AM

Discovery Communications will distribute international news network BBC
World News in the U.S. Discovery will now seek cable and satellite
carriage for the 24-hour international news channel, which already
reaches 128 million homes in 200 countries but has not been available
as a stand-alone network in the U.S.

The pairing brings the first international news network to
Discovery's portfolio, which includes 27 entertainment networks, and
builds upon Discovery's current partnership with the BBC to
distribute BBC America.

American viewers have had access to daily half-hour BBC World News
programming on 229 PBS stations under a 1998 deal with Public
Television station WLIW New York. As of now, the programming will still
air on PBS.

BBC World programming has also run on BBC America, which reaches some
43 million homes through digital cable and satellite distribution.
Discovery has distributed BBC America since its launch in 1998 and runs
a BBC World News block weekdays from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and a half-hour
program at 6 p.m. BBC World News, owned by BBC subsidiary BBC World
Ltd., launched in 1995.

Discovery will try to gain carriage for the international news network
at a time when cable and satellite companies are already strapped for
bandwidth and skeptical about viewers' appetite for international
news.

Upstart 24-hour global news network Al Jazeera International has had a
difficult time eking out U.S. distribution for its upcoming spring
launch. The network has inked carriage deals in several other
countries, including an 8-million-home deal with BSkyB in the U.K., but
after months of talks has not yet announced one carriage agreement in
America. Plus, global news network CNN International is fully
distributed by U.S. cable and satellite providers.

Discovery has no carriage deals to announce as of yet for the network,
but a company representative said distributing BBC World News is "a
high priority" for its affiliate sales group, which is in talks with
cable and satellite providers.

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel....ONID=&aId=8310

The BBC And Discovery Communications Sign New Partnership

BBC World Ltd
1/25/2006 11:21:27 AM

BBC World News, the BBC's 24 hour international news and information
channel, now available in the U.S.-

Today (January 25, 2006), BBC World Ltd announced a new long-term
partnership agreement with Discovery Communications, to distribute the
BBC World News channel in the U.S. The partnership builds upon the
success of the BBC's entertainment channel, BBC America, which is
also distributed by Discovery.

BBC World News will be the sole international news channel in
Discovery's distribution portfolio, at a time when research studies*
show a significant increase in demand from U.S. audiences for
international news.

The BBC World News channel has access to the BBC's unparalleled
global newsgathering operation, enabling the channel to go beyond the
sound bite to provide expert objective analysis of global issues
affecting the world. In December 2005, the New York Daily News**
reported that: "BBC World News is the best model out there for serious
coverage in a tight TV format."

BBC World News is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week in 128
million homes in 200 countries but, until now, it has not been
available in the U.S. BBC World's Director of Distribution and
Business Development, Jeff Hazell, commented: "Discovery
Communications is the market leader, committed to delivering the
highest quality channels and marketing support to the U.S.
multi-channel industry. That experience, plus Discovery's proven
track record and considerable success with the BBC brand to date, will
be invaluable in the roll-out of the BBC World News channel in the
U.S."

"U.S. consumers are ready for this unique news service - one that
provides an impartial, global perspective on domestic and world
events," added Bill Goodwyn, president, Affiliate Sales and
Marketing, Discovery Networks, U.S. "We look forward to working with
our distribution partners to deliver this compelling content in a 24/7
channel."

*Source: PEW Research Centre June 2004 found that U.S. interest in
international news has increased by 15% over 2002 levels

** Source: David Bainulli, the TV critic of the New York Daily News
December 06, 2005

-END-

'Note to Editors'

BBC World News, the BBC's commercially funded international 24-hour
news and information channel, is owned and operated by BBC World Ltd, a
member of the BBC's commercial group of companies.

BBC World News is available in more than 200 countries and territories
worldwide, and reaches 271 million households (128 million 24-hour
homes) and more than one million hotel rooms. BBC World News launched
in its present format in 1995 and is funded by advertising and
subscription.

BBC World News has had an agreement with the Public Television station
WLIW since 1998, and through this arrangement, 30-minute BBC World News
programs are shown daily on 229 PBS stations throughout the U.S.

Viewers can sample BBC World News programming on BBC America each
weekday morning from 6am to 9am ET, in addition to a 30-minute program
each weekday evening at 6pm ET.

BBC World News has access to 2,000 journalists, 250 foreign
correspondents and more than 50 overseas newsgathering bureaus.

Discovery Communications, Inc. is the leading global real-world media
and entertainment company. Discovery has grown from its core property,
the Discovery Channel, first launched in the United States in 1985, to
current global operations in more than 160 countries and territories
with 1.3 billion cumulative subscribers. DCI's over 90 networks of
distinctive programming represent 25 network entertainment brands
including TLC, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, Discovery Health Channel,
Discovery Kids, Discovery Times Channel, The Science Channel, Military
Channel, Discovery Home Channel, Discovery en Español, Discovery Kids
En Español, Discovery HD Theater, FitTV, Discovery Travel & Living
(Viajar y Vivir), Discovery Home & Health and Discovery Real Time.
DCI's other properties consist of Discovery Education and Discovery
Commerce, which operates 120 Discovery Channel Stores. DCI also
distributes BBC America in the United States. DCI's ownership
consists of four shareholders: Discovery Holding Company (NASDAQ:
DISCA, DISCB), Cox Communications, Inc., Advance/Newhouse
Communications and John S. Hendricks, the Company's Founder and
Chairman.

BBC America brings audiences a new generation of award-winning
television featuring razor-sharp comedies, provocative dramas,
life-changing makeovers and news with a uniquely global perspective.
BBC America pushes the boundaries to deliver high quality, highly
addictive and eminently watchable programming to viewers who demand
more. BBC America is distributed by Discovery Networks. It is available
on digital cable and satellite TV.

For more information about BBC America visit www.bbcamerica.com.

Old March 17th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Here in Calgary Alberta Canada, the BBC is on CKUA 93.7 FM, which is
also a non profit station. It is nice to hear the beeb, as in my
location, the BBC on shortwave is a real tough catch, and some times
simply unlistenable. It would be nice to hear the VOA on either MW or
FM, locally. The CBC, which is also non profit has international news
such as the DW, Australia and the Netherlands. Here in Calgary on CBC
One 1010 am, in the early mornings.
Fred Burgess
Beloved Leader wrote:
There was a column in the Sunday Washington Post about programming from
the BBC showing up on local non-profit FM stations in the DC area.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...3/10/AR2006031
001721.html

http://tinyurl.com/zg4g2

Radio News With A British Accent
Sunday, March 12, 2006; Page B08

You may have noticed a lot more British accents on local radio these
days. The BBC World Service has become a fixture on WETA and WAMU,
bumping the local programming that once was dominant.

WETA-FM, for example, now airs at least four hours of BBC World Service
Radio -- unfiltered -- each weekday. WAMU-FM also is airing much more
BBC programming, including on its overnight schedule.

There were some LTTE's this morning on this column.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...3/15/AR2006031
502070.html

http://tinyurl.com/z2x3y

The BBC's Window on the World
Thursday, March 16, 2006; Page A22

David Pitts ["Radio News With a British Accent," Close to Home, March
12] said that it was disturbing that the BBC has taken a prominent role
in U.S. public radio and implied that the British Foreign Office exerts
editorial control over the BBC World Service. That is false.

The BBC World Service is funded by a grant from Britain's Parliament,
administered by the Foreign Office. But the Foreign Office has no say
in the BBC's editorial agenda.

On editorial matters, the World Service is responsible only to the
director general of the BBC and the BBC Board of Governors. These
principles are laid out in the broadcasting agreement with the United
Kingdom.

PHILIP HARDING

Director
English Networks & News
BBC World Service
London

... goes on to page 2....
The last letter is really funny.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...3/15/AR2006031
502070_2.html

http://tinyurl.com/g45q5

The BBC's Window on the World
I strongly disagree with David Pitts's commentary lamenting the
abundance of BBC World Service content on WETA and WAMU-FM. I'm
fascinated by the world perspective provided by the BBC's news and
commentary, as well as by the "World Have Your Say" show, which
features callers from around the globe, including the United States.

While the BBC news does displace local content, I'm hardly alienated
from my locality, considering the availability of neighborhood
newspapers and The Post; local news on radio (including WAMU and WETA)
and television; local news and commentary e-mail lists; and many Web
sites.

Mr. Pitts suggested that while government funding makes Voice of
America "to some degree" a propaganda organ, we should beware the BBC's
coverage because it is tainted by government funding. I'm happy to
trade the lost hours of local gabfests for the BBC's world window.

Wouldn't the world improve if more people broadened their perspectives,
rather than hearing from only their like-thinking neighbors?

GABRIEL GOLDBERG
Falls Church

David Pitts said that BBC World Service Radio is the main competitor of
Voice of America (VOA).

That used to be true, but the Board of Broadcast Governors, which
controls the VOA, has announced that it intends to discontinue almost
all English-language radio broadcasting at the end of September because
so few people are listening. That just might be the case because the
board has turned off many VOA transmitters.

Travelers abroad who want to hear news of the United States might try
Radio China (Beijing). It has 24-hour English-language radio service.

NEIL CURRIE

Potomac
The writer is a news anchor at Voice of America.

Old March 17th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

w/regard to "BBC World" in the USA:

http://www.bbcworld.com/insite/conte...asp?pageid=484

BBC World News

30 minute live news bulletins are availalble every Monday through
Friday across the USA. These broadcasts are available to public
television stations through an alliance between BBC World and WLIW New
York Public Television.

BBC World draws on the resources of the world's largest news
organization, BBC News, with 58 international bureaux and 250
correspondents worldwide. These broadcasts mark the first time live,
international, daily newscasts have been made available to viewers
without cable access.

BBC World's newscasts augment PBS stations' position as a news
resource for viewers by offering international news as it happens, from
one of the world's most respected news sources.

What is BBC World?

BBC World is the BBC's commercially funded international news and
information television channel, broadcasting in English 24 hours a day
for a global audience. BBC World can be received in 270 million homes
in over 200 countries around the world. Of these 128 million homes
receive the channel on a 24-hour basis. In addition over 1,000,000
hotel rooms, 23 airlines and 25 cruise ships also carry the channel.

BBC World in the U.S.A.

Newscasts from BBC World, the BBC's commercially funded 24-hour
international news and information channel, are available throughout
the United States of America via PBS.

BBC World News is broadcast on over 220 public television stations in
the U.S. through an agreement with WLIW21, the public television
station based in New York. Through this agreement, BBC World news
bulletins now reach around 86% of U.S. television households (around 90
million homes). This covers every major market including New York,
Chicago, LA, Miami, Dallas, Washington DC, Seattle, San Francisco,
Boston and Houston.

Old March 17th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

dxAce wrote:

running dogg wrote:

Beloved Leader wrote:

There was a column in the Sunday Washington Post about programming from
the BBC showing up on local non-profit FM stations in the DC area.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...3/10/AR2006031
001721.html

http://tinyurl.com/zg4g2

Radio News With A British Accent
Sunday, March 12, 2006; Page B08

You may have noticed a lot more British accents on local radio these
days. The BBC World Service has become a fixture on WETA and WAMU,
bumping the local programming that once was dominant.

WETA-FM, for example, now airs at least four hours of BBC World Service
Radio -- unfiltered -- each weekday. WAMU-FM also is airing much more
BBC programming, including on its overnight schedule.

BBC feed is cheaper than producing stuff locally. Most AM stations air
syndicated talk, and only have 1 or 2 local talk hosts. I know that the
local Air America station airs AA feed all day except for one four hour
slot.

How the heck could one stand to listen to AA all day to find that out?

I read it in a local throwaway mag at a car wash.

Old March 17th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Beloved Leader

**classical music fans have been the main losers in WETA's content
overhaul.**

Can you get WBJC where you are? I have heard it on a car radio as far
south as Culpeper VA.