Old March 26th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Default BBC Shortwave A06

Simon Mason wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

So this is ALL THAT`S LEFT of English BBCWS on SW in the entire Western
Hemisphe

1100 1300 Daily 11865
2100 2200 Daily 15390
2100 2130 Mon-Fri 11675
2200 2300 Daily 5975

We can get BBC WS on satellite and DAB here in the UK, as well as MW. At
night, 0100 -0600 it also turns up on LW and FM. I'd rather listen to it on
DAB than SW any day, although when on holiday, that's a different matter.

Those other alternatives are nice I suppose, however, they are not shortwave.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 26th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:23:41 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
.. .

The BBC's UK radio and TV services are financed by the television
Licence Fee (all owners of television sets in the UK are required to
buy an annual licence). The BBC also earns extra income through the
sale of programmes overseas and of books, videos, tapes and other
products linked to BBC programmes.
BBC World Service does not receive any funding from the UK Licence
Fee.''

www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice

Hey, I was right.

Yes, the WS, unlike the rest of the BBC (you didn't make it clear you were
referring solely to the WS as opposed to the BBC in general) is funded from
the FCO out of our taxes, so we still pay for it. It's our money, not the
Govt's money.

Running Dog asked if the BBC is a Govt agency, which it definitely is not.
Your own post says:

"The FCO, in close consultation with World Service, is
involved in the process of deciding which languages are broadcast ,
but editorial control of the programmes rests *entirely* with BBC."

In the USA, the People are the Government (they just forget that
salient point most of the time).

Old March 26th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 12:25:17 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

Simon Mason wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

So this is ALL THAT`S LEFT of English BBCWS on SW in the entire Western
Hemisphe

1100 1300 Daily 11865
2100 2200 Daily 15390
2100 2130 Mon-Fri 11675
2200 2300 Daily 5975

We can get BBC WS on satellite and DAB here in the UK, as well as MW. At
night, 0100 -0600 it also turns up on LW and FM. I'd rather listen to it on
DAB than SW any day, although when on holiday, that's a different matter.

Those other alternatives are nice I suppose, however, they are not shortwave.

Right. Some of us listen to the World Service for the content, not
for the catch.

Old March 26th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Simon Mason

"dxAce" wrote in message

We can get BBC WS on satellite and DAB here in the UK, as well as MW. At
night, 0100 -0600 it also turns up on LW and FM. I'd rather listen to it
on
DAB than SW any day, although when on holiday, that's a different matter.

Those other alternatives are nice I suppose, however, they are not
short-wave.

Indeed Sir, I was merely highlighting the range of options other than SW
that are available. I enjoy HF as much as the next DXer, but the world moves
on...

For example, when I was driving around Prague, I could listen to BBC WS on
the car's FM radio. I suppose if the people at the BBC find out that only a
handful of people listen to SW in Prague, they are better off sticking it
onto FM, rather than pumping kilowatts of HF into the ether. Although that
is not to say that all SW be dropped. If I was in a remote area, I would
still like to receive it on SW, rather than getting a Worldspace RX and
paying for it twice.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old March 26th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

wrote:

Simon Mason wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

So this is ALL THAT`S LEFT of English BBCWS on SW in the entire Western
Hemisphe

1100 1300 Daily 11865
2100 2200 Daily 15390
2100 2130 Mon-Fri 11675
2200 2300 Daily 5975

We can get BBC WS on satellite and DAB here in the UK, as well as MW. At
night, 0100 -0600 it also turns up on LW and FM. I'd rather listen to it on
DAB than SW any day, although when on holiday, that's a different matter.

Those other alternatives are nice I suppose, however, they are not shortwave.

Right. Some of us listen to the World Service for the content, not
for the catch.

Some of us can actually do both! It's unfortunate that you've been unable to do
any real DXing on shortwave.

Come back and let us know when you find an appropriate satellite newsgroup to post
in, we'll throw a party.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 26th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Simon Mason wrote:

"David" wrote in message

[...]

Ah. You see, the VOA was (was, since it in effect doesn't exist anymore)
run by an agency of the US govt, USAID I think. In most countries, the
national broadcaster is a govt agency. Since the BBC is not controlled
by the UK govt, the BBC can make all sorts of screwy decisions and
nobody can tell them no. (In contrast, the screwy decisions made at the
VOA were done by presidential appointees. The President and Congress
could have decided to hire new people to run the place.) So the BBC
slashes the WS, they slash domestic programming, they make a lot of
people upset, and nobody can rein them in. At least the big corporate
broadcasters in the US (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, Time Warner (who runs the WB
network), Paramount Pictures (UPN)) have majority stockholders and
boards of directors who can fire the CEO if he ****s up.

Old March 26th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

David wrote:

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:50:59 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

XM 131 24/7

Sirius 141 24/7

How much do you pay for XM and Sirius? Isn't it something like
$15-20/mo, in addition to a receiver that costs a few hundred bucks? Why
should I pay $200 or so a year just to get the BBCWS, when I can buy a
$50 Degen and listen to it without subscription costs? Even if I have to
listen to it from the Asian stream, I still save money. Not all of us
have gobs of cash. Even Ace, who has gobs of cash, prefers to spend his
money in more productive ways than giving it to XM and Sirius. XM and
Sirius are mostly music, 12 channels each of every variant of every type
of music you can imagine. I don't listen to much music, and 12 channels
of right wing talk doesn't appeal to me, so I'd be paying money to
listen to something I can get for free with a $50 radio. I suppose David
Rickets likes throwing money away. I can't afford to.

Old March 26th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

wrote:

[...]

Gobs of cash?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 26th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

dxAce wrote:

wrote:

[...]

How else can you afford to sit and listen to your radio all day, every
day?

Old March 26th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

"running dogg" wrote in message

Ah. You see, the VOA was (was, since it in effect doesn't exist anymore)
run by an agency of the US govt, USAID I think.

USAID is the US Agency for International Development. t helps farmers get
better crops, etc. The USIS, US Information Service, is what you are
thinking of.

VOA very much exists. It just is reducing its usage of SW and increasing in
other bands and media.

In most countries, the
national broadcaster is a govt agency. Since the BBC is not controlled
by the UK govt, the BBC can make all sorts of screwy decisions and
nobody can tell them no.

The BBC is a government chartered orgainzation, and financed by government
taxes.

(In contrast, the screwy decisions made at the
VOA were done by presidential appointees. The President and Congress
could have decided to hire new people to run the place.) So the BBC
slashes the WS, they slash domestic programming, they make a lot of
people upset, and nobody can rein them in. At least the big corporate
broadcasters in the US (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, Time Warner (who runs the WB
network), Paramount Pictures (UPN)) have majority stockholders and
boards of directors who can fire the CEO if he ****s up.

What has been screwed up at the VOA? They are simply moving into the new
centrury.