Old April 26th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default international radio

Amy wrote:
We will only be looking to pick up major NY and
major France stations, no obscure stuff.

Just curious...what type of programming are you hoping to receive?

Old April 26th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

David wrote:

On 25 Apr 2006 19:21:28 -0700, "Amy" wrote:

From NY: WKTU (club music), Z100 (top40), etc.
From France: NRJ(pop), Nostalgie (oldies), etc.

As you can see I am not looking for anything obscure, just a better
variety of music. Everytime we are in NY or France we are rejuvinated
with the radio. You know when you hear a song that you love but you
haven't heard it in ages, and you turn to the person next to you and
you shout, "I LOVE this song!"? Well, we never say that up here.
I am willing to give the Sony a try. I will purchase one in the next
couple of weeks and dive in head first to it. Guess I'll figure it out
through trial and error, like most things in life!
Thank you all so much for the help.

Go for the Sirius. Music sounds bad on the shortwave.

I'll have to agree. You can find interesting music on shortwave, but
we're talking Russian folk music and African pop. It doesn't sound like
your taste in music is THAT eclectic, so Sirius has 12 channels each of
practically every format you'd ever want to hear. Depending where you
are in Canada, you may be able to receive FM from the northern US with
the right equipment. I don't think that the Tivoli Audio Model One is
still made anymore, but you can probably find one on ebay. Best FM radio
ever built. Then look for a real FM antenna, not just a length of
twinlead but something from C. Crane.

Old April 26th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

running dogg wrote:
You can find interesting music on shortwave, but
we're talking Russian folk music and African pop.

Right, and don't forget the khaliji that comes in so well in the
afternoons....

Oh, and Mukesh in a blue mood. :- ( (and you thought things in Canada
couldn't be any more depressing)

I used to like listening to Radio Federacion out of Ecuador...they'd
have a nice mix: you'd have your American or European techno/dance
song followed by a solo instrumental on some three-string tribal
instrument. I believe the content was aimed at the Shuar people
(Jivaro)...you know, the ones who used to be into making shrunken
heads...

Haven't heard R. Federacion in a long long time.

Old April 26th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:31:07 -0700, running dogg wrote:

I'll have to agree. You can find interesting music on shortwave, but
we're talking Russian folk music and African pop. It doesn't sound like
your taste in music is THAT eclectic, so Sirius has 12 channels each of
practically every format you'd ever want to hear. Depending where you
are in Canada, you may be able to receive FM from the northern US with
the right equipment. I don't think that the Tivoli Audio Model One is
still made anymore, but you can probably find one on ebay. Best FM radio
ever built. Then look for a real FM antenna, not just a length of
twinlead but something from C. Crane.

I have a Model One and a BA Recepter. The Recepter is better than the
Model One. Sangean also has a Recepter clone, but I haven't tried one
of those.

Old April 26th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
running dogg wrote:

David wrote:

Snip insipidly stupid satellite Trolling crapola

I'll have to agree. You can find interesting music on shortwave, but
we're talking Russian folk music and African pop. It doesn't sound like
your taste in music is THAT eclectic, so Sirius has 12 channels each of
practically every format you'd ever want to hear. Depending where you
are in Canada, you may be able to receive FM from the northern US with
the right equipment. I don't think that the Tivoli Audio Model One is
still made anymore, but you can probably find one on ebay. Best FM radio
ever built. Then look for a real FM antenna, not just a length of
twinlead but something from C. Crane.

I have to disagree. I get plenty of music on short wave other than
Russian folk music and African pop. Radio Netherlands last weekend
played classical, Radio Japan contemporary pop, rock, punk and
and Cuba has their own stile just to mention a few. Various Island
ethnic music from Radio New Zealand. Radio Australia with old rock,
contemporary, punk, country western. Then there is All India radio. If
you want to hear something different your best place to hear it is short
wave.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old April 26th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Ms. Amy,

In my opinion the best source for "how to listen to shortwave" is the
book PASSPORT TO WORLD BAND RADIO by Larry Magne; it is available very
inexpensively from Amazon.com as well as other dealers. It is published
yearly in October so you might want to wait for the next edition unless
the money involved (less than $20.00) is not a deterrent. I buy it
every year.

Another most useful book which I also buy yearly is the WORLD RADIO-TV
HANDBOOK, also available from Amazon.com and other places. This is
particularly useful for station information, both Medium Wave (the
regular AM band) and Short Wave (and FM and TV to boot).

The most convenient and up-to-date sources for station schedules are on
the web: PrimeTimeShortwave, the ILG, Eibi, and a few others.
RadioIntel.com is an extremely useful site which, among many other
things, has lots of links to useful radio sites.

I do not know where in Canada you are located, but the Sony
ICF-SW7600GR is particularly sensitive on the Medium Wave band. If it
is necessary to "enhance" its MW reception, I have found that a
Select-A-Tenna (available from C. Crane Company and other dealers) is
quite useful, especially if the radio and the Select-A-Tenna are put on
a "lazy susan." This allows the "directional" characteristics of the
radio and the antenna to be maximized. You should be able to hear the
stronger NY radio stations if you live in the east of Canada or its
mid-west.

Radio France (in English) is an easy "catch" though generally only in
the daytime or in the middle of the night.

If you like music, there is no end to it, especially exotic music on
the "tropical bands" (4750 - 5025 kHz) and from some of the African
countries.

I think that, with this radio and the FM transmitter I mentioned to
send the signals to your stereo, you will find an abundance of
stimulating and thought-provoking broadcasts.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Joe

Old April 26th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

This thread has been an interesting lesson in perspective, huh? When
we the shortwave group heard that Amy loved "foreign radio stations", I
think we all naturally thought that she had in mind the sort of
programming that we in this group tend to enjoy: Radio Netherlands, V.
of Vietnam, Radio Transoxiana...or take your pick.

I don't think that NYC top 40 stations came to mind, although I suppose
that, given the existence of an international boundary between NYC and
her location in Canada, such stations are "foreign radio".

In any case, given the sort of thing that she's wanting to receive,
there are probably better options out there for her than shortwave
radio, even if there is the chance that she might in some odd instances
stumble across a transmission of the type of music that she enjoys.

Also, her interest is exclusively in the music...and, let's face it, if
she has even a remotely discriminating ear, then the type of audio
quality that can be expected with a shortwave transmission is likely
going to disappoint. Sure, we in this group love shortwave, and many
of us enjoy listening to music over this medium, despite its very
audible limitations.

Old April 26th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:31:30 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
running dogg wrote:

David wrote:

[...]

Once upon a time, HF was the place to go for eclectic musical
esoterica. Times change.

Old April 26th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 26 Apr 2006 12:47:42 -0700, "junius" wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In Amy's case, since her listening interests are more mainstream,
satellite radio does offer some of what she's wanting: you can find
the top-40 content; the content of Sirius's French-language music
channels might disappoint, though, since I believe it's primarily music
by French Canadian artists.

BBC Radio 1 plays a lot of Euro stuff.

Old April 26th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Amy

Guys, my head is reeling! I also posted this question on an Apple forum
(I am a mac user) and I too have been sent to Short Wave by them. But
we are looking to ROCK THE HOUSE and feel like we are home again. The
broadcasts need to be clear. I am in Montreal, so the NYC stations are
not far. It's the France ones that will be harder. we are specifically
looking to hear live broadcasts from our respective hometown stations,
not just good music but the feeling of being home too (we've been here
11 years, you'd think we'd be over it by now!). I am fearing my best
bet is to just do it through the computer via the internet. My
hesitation is just over-using my Powerbook which is vital to my job.
Maybe I can buy a cheap second hand computer or laptop to hook up the
internet to the stereo speakers...

203 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (27-NOV-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 December 1st 04 05:09 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
183 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (30-MAR-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 6 April 2nd 04 04:09 PM