Old April 26th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default international radio

In article . com,
"junius" wrote:

This thread has been an interesting lesson in perspective, huh? When
we the shortwave group heard that Amy loved "foreign radio stations", I
think we all naturally thought that she had in mind the sort of
programming that we in this group tend to enjoy: Radio Netherlands, V.
of Vietnam, Radio Transoxiana...or take your pick.

I don't think that NYC top 40 stations came to mind, although I suppose
that, given the existence of an international boundary between NYC and
her location in Canada, such stations are "foreign radio".

In any case, given the sort of thing that she's wanting to receive,
there are probably better options out there for her than shortwave
radio, even if there is the chance that she might in some odd instances
stumble across a transmission of the type of music that she enjoys.

Also, her interest is exclusively in the music...and, let's face it, if
she has even a remotely discriminating ear, then the type of audio
quality that can be expected with a shortwave transmission is likely
going to disappoint. Sure, we in this group love shortwave, and many
of us enjoy listening to music over this medium, despite its very
audible limitations.

I thought she wanted broadcasts in French for her husband.

"My husband is from France and he too is dying with the radio."

"I am, however, very interested in the Sony ICF-SW7600GR."

"We will only be looking to pick up major NY and major France stations,
no obscure stuff."

Based on these quotes and by golly the fact that she posted in
rec.radio.shortwave, I would make the assumption that she is actually
interested in short wave reception.

Now I know it will be a novel concept to some that posting here
indicates an actual interest in short wave but its true!

You are supposed to post news and information germane to the news
group. This might be a hard fact for the satellite Trolls to swallow
but that is how Usenet is supposed to work.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 26th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article .com,
"Amy" wrote:

Guys, my head is reeling! I also posted this question on an Apple forum
(I am a mac user) and I too have been sent to Short Wave by them. But
we are looking to ROCK THE HOUSE and feel like we are home again. The
broadcasts need to be clear. I am in Montreal, so the NYC stations are
not far. It's the France ones that will be harder. we are specifically
looking to hear live broadcasts from our respective hometown stations,
not just good music but the feeling of being home too (we've been here
11 years, you'd think we'd be over it by now!). I am fearing my best
bet is to just do it through the computer via the internet. My
hesitation is just over-using my Powerbook which is vital to my job.
Maybe I can buy a cheap second hand computer or laptop to hook up the
internet to the stereo speakers...

Sorry for misunderstanding what you wanted. You were sent to the wrong
place unless you are interested in broadcast band or short wave
listening. You have two choices other than short wave and that is XM,
Sirius satellite or streaming Internet.

Why are you afraid of Internet streaming? You have OSX and it
multitasks no problem so you can work and stream at the same time. That
is what I do. Do you have a low bandwidth connection? Why don't you use
Itunes radio? Maybe they don't have what you want?

How about this streaming link
http://www.440.com/440satx.html

Another streaming link
http://www.live365.com/stations/easye12

To find radio station links use this. If the station has a web page this
will find it and you can go there looking for a stream link.
http://radio-locator.com/

Music on the Internet
http://www.netradio.com/

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 27th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

"David" wrote in message
On 26 Apr 2006 12:47:42 -0700, "junius" wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In Amy's case, since her listening interests are more mainstream,
satellite radio does offer some of what she's wanting: you can find
the top-40 content; the content of Sirius's French-language music
channels might disappoint, though, since I believe it's primarily music
by French Canadian artists.

BBC Radio 1 plays a lot of Euro stuff.

But not FRENCH pop oldies, which is most of what Nostalgie plays.

Old April 27th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

You bet! And not just in high school!

Joe

Old April 27th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Oh yes it is!

Joe

Old April 27th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh yes it is!

Joe

"Oh yes" what is?

Old April 27th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:22:43 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
roups.com...
Oh yes it is!

Joe

"Oh yes" what is?

Oh my God am I here all alone...

Old April 28th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tom Holden

"David" wrote in message
On 26 Apr 2006 13:55:32 -0700, "Amy" wrote:

Guys, my head is reeling! I also posted this question on an Apple forum
(I am a mac user) and I too have been sent to Short Wave by them. But
we are looking to ROCK THE HOUSE and feel like we are home again. The
broadcasts need to be clear. I am in Montreal, so the NYC stations are
not far. It's the France ones that will be harder. we are specifically
looking to hear live broadcasts from our respective hometown stations,
not just good music but the feeling of being home too (we've been here
11 years, you'd think we'd be over it by now!). I am fearing my best
bet is to just do it through the computer via the internet. My
hesitation is just over-using my Powerbook which is vital to my job.
Maybe I can buy a cheap second hand computer or laptop to hook up the
internet to the stereo speakers...

These tune selected internet radio stations and require no computer.

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php

That looks like an excellent suggestion for Amy and her partner's musical
interests, technical capabilities and desire for pretty good stereo quality.
Many Internet 'radio' stations stream at 128 kbps and can sound quite
decent. If dropouts due to network congestion have not been a problem on the
Mac, then they should not be with this radio-like appliance.

Tom

Old April 28th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:33:48 -0400, "Tom Holden"
wrote:

These tune selected internet radio stations and require no computer.

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php

That looks like an excellent suggestion for Amy and her partner's musical
interests, technical capabilities and desire for pretty good stereo quality.
Many Internet 'radio' stations stream at 128 kbps and can sound quite
decent. If dropouts due to network congestion have not been a problem on the
Mac, then they should not be with this radio-like appliance.

Tom

Only downside I see is that they don't tune to RA or WMA, just MP-3
stations.

Old April 28th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tom Holden

"David" wrote in message
Only downside I see is that they don't tune to RA or WMA, just MP-3
stations.

According to http://www.rokulabs.com/products/selectionguide.php, they
support:
MP3
AAC
WMA and DRM10
WAV / AIFF

but there are restrictions in the current software - see
http://www.rokulabs.com/support/internetradio.php - including WMA Voice
format used by BBC World Service (future support planned) and nothing other
than http streaming.

Seems to work with iTunes.

203 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (27-NOV-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 December 1st 04 05:09 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
183 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (30-MAR-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 6 April 2nd 04 04:09 PM