Old April 28th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mikem

Default Repairing a Receiver: Where to Send it oout?

I have a Sangean model 808 that needs some work. I prefer to send it
to a facility other than Sangean in El Monte CA.
Any suggestions?
Mike

Old April 28th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Mike,

I can't tell you where to send the radio other than Sangean but I can
tell you that I had one of these also and it "died" too after only
three years of ownership. I just threw it out. It was out of warranty
and I figured that it just wasn't worth paying to repair it. (I have
little confidence in a unit that "dies" that quickly. And, yes, I
opened it up to see if I could figure out what went wrong but I believe
it was the microprocessor, based on how it "died" - nothing much you
can do with that other than to replace it.) You'd have to check, of
course, but you may be able to buy a new SW receiver for not much more
(or even less!) than the cost of repairing the set plus shipping
charges (depending, of course, on just what needs to be done).

Of course if the radio has some particular sentimental or other value
to you, then perhaps others on this group can be of more help to you in
determining who can repair it.

Best of luck,

Joe

Old April 28th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

mikem wrote:
I have a Sangean model 808 that needs some work. I prefer to send it
to a facility other than Sangean in El Monte CA.
Any suggestions?
Mike

The cost of replacement for many radios, tv's, stereos is so low that
it doesn't make much monetary sense to repair. Additionally consumer
electronics have overall become very reliable. Consequently the many
tv/radio repair shops that were once common have disappeared for lack
of business.

The cost of replacement is so low that most goods are thrown away when
broken any more. That's unfortunate because I think a lot or
repairable products are wasted and our landfills are filling up as a
result.

I'm not familiar with the 808, but I believe it sold for about $100
when new. There are guys that work on radios, but my guess is it will
cost a minimum of $50.00 to get the radio looked at and possibly
repaired. Your best bet would be Sangean because they will have the
greatest chance of having parts.

If it's out of warranty and dead I would probably just get a new one.

Old April 29th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

John S. wrote:

mikem wrote:
I have a Sangean model 808 that needs some work. I prefer to send it
to a facility other than Sangean in El Monte CA.
Any suggestions?
Mike

The cost of replacement for many radios, tv's, stereos is so low that
it doesn't make much monetary sense to repair. Additionally consumer
electronics have overall become very reliable. Consequently the many
tv/radio repair shops that were once common have disappeared for lack
of business.

The cost of replacement is so low that most goods are thrown away when
broken any more. That's unfortunate because I think a lot or
repairable products are wasted and our landfills are filling up as a
result.

Not only that, electronic products contain chemicals, metals and other
substances that are hazardous to the environment and to human health,
and when said products are placed in a landfill these hazardous items
leak out and can contaminate groundwater and soil. Groundwater
contamination is especially worrisome, since contaminated water can move
far from the landfill site. California requires all electronic junk-even
batteries-to be taken to special disposal sites as of January 1 because
of the environmental hazards.

I'm not familiar with the 808, but I believe it sold for about $100
when new. There are guys that work on radios, but my guess is it will
cost a minimum of $50.00 to get the radio looked at and possibly
repaired. Your best bet would be Sangean because they will have the
greatest chance of having parts.

If it's out of warranty and dead I would probably just get a new one.

Yeah, it's probably not worth fixing. The only electronic items worth
fixing are tabletop SW radios and ham gear.

Coax Losses ? Robert11 Antenna 4 February 14th 06 05:37 PM
Radio Receiver [email protected] Shortwave 17 December 14th 05 01:09 AM
Best SWL RCVR to buy? OregonMike Shortwave 91 December 7th 05 02:18 AM
Phillips Magnavox D2999 General Coverage 'portable' {Port-a-Top} Communications Receiver RHF Shortwave 0 December 20th 04 11:57 AM