Old June 7th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Sanjaya

Default DE1103 for a beginner

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm interested in getting my first short-wave radio. From what I've
read, the DE1103 seems to be reasonably priced and has some good
reviews.

[snip]

Hi David.

As John S has told you, the Degen DE1103 is a great buy and a superb SW portable.
However, according to some users in the *moderated* DE1103 Yahoo Group
( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/de1103/ )
there has been a recent quaility control problem with that radio and the Kaito version.
See messages #413, 418 and later, in that group. You can join the group and post
your own inquiries.

Other buyers of newer 1103s have had no problems, and I've had no problems
with my DE1103 purchased in Sept. 2004. So I'm assuming there is just a bad
batch that got through and the QC will fix future production. Except for the posts
in the Yahoo Group mentioning some recent problems I'd tell you not to hesitate
in purchasing one. It gets fantastic SW reception off the built in whip antenna.

Another good choice would be the DE1102. Smaller and not as "rich" sounding as
the 1103, but it does have SSB capability. There is a Yahoo group for that
as well...

Old June 7th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like a good choice.

One more question. I read something about this radio having Chinese
labels. Is it safe to assume that the DE1103's available on ebay have
English labels?

David

Old June 7th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Sanjaya

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like a good choice.

One more question. I read something about this radio having Chinese
labels. Is it safe to assume that the DE1103's available on ebay have
English labels?

David

Chinese stickers, but English lettering for the controls.

Old June 7th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I just ordered it from ebay. Thanks for all the responses.

David