Old June 8th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default DE1103 for a beginner

The only advantages you can get from the Sony SW7600GR compared to the Degen
DE1103 are :
- build quality (I suppose !)
- sync detector on AM

I think for my purposes the DE1103 was the right choice. This will be
my first attempt at SWL, and although I expect to continue in it, I
like to keep the cost down until I know for sure.

I'm not too concerned about the manual. I stumbled across the English
pdf when I was reading the reviews earlier. If I don't get a manual
with it (I think its supposed to come with one) I'll download it.

I have a couple of off-topic questions... How far away can I expect to
receive with this? I'd like to pick up Russian broadcasts. That's not
my primary reason for getting it, but it would be nice.

Also, do people still ask for and receive QSLs? I picked up a library
book about short-wave radio and according to that, getting QSLs is a
fairly common practice. The book was a little old (printed in the
early 90's), so I'm not sure if that's still done.

Thanks.

David