Old June 13th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Good portable shortwave with gos speaker for world travel?

I know little abt short wave radio

I'm seeking a good portable radio with decent speaker
that would be easy to hear in small rooms and cabins
when traveling round the world.

Advice?
Old June 14th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Conan Ford wrote:

1st choice: Sony ICF-SW7600GR ~$150.

2nd choice: Grundig Yacht Boy 400PE or Grundig/Eton G4000A (same radio)
$100-$150.

I have excluded the cheap chinese radios due to reliability in an around-
the-world trip.

Ok thanks

That's abt the price range I want to stay in.... $100

Is there one of them more robust as far as water
proofness such as use on a boat or in tent?
Old June 14th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
gravity

wrote in message
Conan Ford wrote:

1st choice: Sony ICF-SW7600GR ~$150.

2nd choice: Grundig Yacht Boy 400PE or Grundig/Eton G4000A (same radio)
$100-$150.

I have excluded the cheap chinese radios due to reliability in an around-
the-world trip.

Ok thanks

That's abt the price range I want to stay in.... $100

Is there one of them more robust as far as water
proofness such as use on a boat or in tent?

i don't know what a "gos speaker" is. i am looking at the Sangean 909
($225?). my Sony ICF2001 sucks.

Gravity

Old June 14th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"gravity" wrote:

i don't know what a "gos speaker" is. i am looking at the Sangean 909
($225?). my Sony ICF2001 sucks.

sorry was typo

should read "good" built in speaker and audio section

this is so I can listen from say across a small room or
inside cabin
Old June 14th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"gravity" wrote:

i am looking at the Sangean 909

very cool

solar power would be handy
Old June 14th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
gravity

wrote in message
"gravity" wrote:

i am looking at the Sangean 909

very cool

solar power would be handy

hey, you are on a boat or yacht? years ago, my granddad had a yacht. he
used VHF, LORAN, Yaesu 757, etc. $2000 invested in the Yaesu, and only $100
damage to the PL259 and dial.

they do make marine radios for VHF which are water proofed. there might be
some shortwave and HF equivalents, but they are probably expensive.

at $100, just get a cheap shortwave. you can always replace it and it's
less than the cost of a professional marine rig.

Gravity

Old June 14th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Hello.

I should like to recommend the Sony ICF-SW7600GR to you. I take one of
mine with me on all my travels and have found it to be a robust and
excellent radio for use both at home and on trips. Its sound quality
and volume is more than adequate for your purposes, and its
sensitivity, selectivity (especially with its synchronous detection
circuit), and overall performance is about "as good as it gets" in a
small portable SW receiver. It is easy on batteries (I use NiMH
rechargeables) and it can handle an external SW (only) antenna should
you require one. It works unusally well on the MW (standard AM) band
and on the FM band. And it has a good line output, in addition to an
earphone output, for use with a stereo system if desired.

Amazon offers it and often has it at a sale price. (Right now they are
selling it for $139.95 including shipping.)

I bought my first ICF-SW7600G (the predecessor model) in 1998 (I own
two of them). I bought my first ICF-SW7600GR in 2001 (I now own five of
them!). All have performed in a superb manner (and all have performed
identically - a sign of good quality control) and have held up very
well.

I think you'd be pleased with this radio.

Best,

Joe

Old June 15th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:57:54 -0500, wrote:

I know little abt short wave radio

I'm seeking a good portable radio with decent speaker
that would be easy to hear in small rooms and cabins
when traveling round the world.

Advice?

Never travel with a radio you can't afford to lose.

AMERICA AND STATE-RUN DRM "PUBLIC" RADIO SHORTWAVE BROADCASTING RHF Shortwave 13 May 17th 06 04:11 AM
Google Simon Mason Shortwave 5 May 5th 06 06:00 PM
Stand-a-Lone 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio Test - Try a Ground for Improved Reception RHF Shortwave 0 November 3rd 05 10:11 AM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM