Old July 5th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default New to shortwave

Hi, I am seriously considering buying a shortwave receiver, and I want
to know what exactly I would find on the air on the east coast of
Australia, and how well the Sangean ATS-505 Shortwave Receiver
performs. What antenna would I need for this receiver as well?

Old July 5th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A link to the Sangean:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/D2807

Old July 5th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

kong1932 wrote:
A link to the Sangean:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/D2807

Ive got one of those it is a very good radio and you will get a fair
bit as well as top notch am/fm reception.I suggest as a start you try
www.primetimeshortwave.com for programs schuedule and passport to world
band radio book (i know im going to get flamed for this) which is good
for beginners but dont trust there schuedule its unreliable (not there
fault at all).Ive learnt you do *not* put a homebrew antenna on there
other you will bugger up the antenna and if you want one that is
plugged in it better be good because ats-505 in built antenna will cut
out.

Enjoy!

Yours truly
Adam

Old July 5th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

How well does the in built antenna work for shortwave. I'm very
interested in this radio now.

Old July 6th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Old July 8th 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I am on the east coast of Australia too and I find a 18 to 20 foot long wire
antenna strung between two poles with insulators works well. I have a sony
icf 6717 recevier i find this one is great dont know about sangean
Cheers
"Merlin3rd" wrote in message
ps.com...
Don't waste your money the hobby is dead. Take up knitting.