Old July 18th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WOULD YOU.........

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

mike maghakian wrote:

buy a $4000 receiver from someone who has a rating worse than
radio-mart and can't even test it ???????????

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tentac-RX-340-HF...Z320008125122Q
QihZ 011QQcategoryZ4673QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Put your thinking cap on. This is obviously for sale by one of those
outfits that cruises about looking for stuff to sell. Probably know
nothing about radio.

There is no reserve on the radio, and it is currently at $909.00.

Could be a good deal for someone who might figure that even if there
is something wrong with it, they can still get it serviced, up and
running, for a very good price vs. the cost of a new one.

This radio has had ROM revisions and this one may not have the latest.

It also has stickers on it that look like it may have been in
industrial use (calibration and ID stickers) in which case there is a
lot of hours on it. The radio has some long term use issues, which may
or may not have been mitigated by air conditioning in a rack.

Chances are the special bulb for the meter is out. You might be able to
get a replacement from Ten-Tec but it is not listed as a separate item
in the parts list. I replaced mine with LEDs.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 18th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

mike maghakian wrote:

[...]

My overall impression of the set was: "Damn, that's certainly some expensive
aluminium sheet!"

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 18th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

My overall impression of the set was: "Damn, that's certainly some
expensive
aluminium sheet!"

dxAce
Michigan
USA

That's just it. Those type rigs are way over priced. The same people or gov
agencies that bought or buy them are the same ones who pay $50 for ball
point pens. I've had a few over the years and they were nice when working
but not a big leap better than any high end consumer rig. My dad used to
bring them home from work and I fiddled with quite a few different makes. My
favorites were always the WJ & Rockwell receivers. For quite few years I had
a HF-1000 or WJ-8711 but it took a **** and at the time I couldn't afford to
fix it but was able to sell it for enough to buy a R-5000.

--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Remove your HAT to reply directly

Old July 18th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tentac-RX-340-HF...QitemZ32000812
[...]

The DSP chips in the radio cost a lot.

It's a really good radio and can sound better then the R8B depending on
antenna and conditions. I can't tell which will sound better before I
try them both. Generally the SSB is better on the RX340 as it is more
flexible in the filter department. The R8B is more sensitive than the
RX340. Lots of other differences between them and sometimes I can't
figure out why one does better then the other. I'll be keeping both.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 19th 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Cuhulin, I think you ought to bust a move on that brunette.

Steve, your going to give him a heart attack. I like Cuhulin, for
his simple "down-home-humor". with all the hate/political post on
this list; he kind of smoothes thinks out for me.

Father Michael...
Old July 19th 06, 11:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tentac-RX-340-HF...QQcmdZViewItem

Put your thinking cap on. This is obviously for sale by one of those outfits that cruises about looking for stuff to
sell. Probably know nothing about radio.

There is no reserve on the radio, and it is currently at $909.00.

Could be a good deal for someone who might figure that even if there is something wrong with it, they can still get it
serviced, up and running, for a very good price vs. the cost of a new one.

Up to $1525.00 now.

Up to $1565.00 now.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 20th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Father Mike wrote in
:

Cuhulin, I think you ought to bust a move on that brunette.

Steve, your going to give him a heart attack. I like Cuhulin, for
his simple "down-home-humor". with all the hate/political post on
this list; he kind of smoothes thinks out for me.

Maybe Cuhulin should change his nic to Ex-Lax?

SC
Old July 20th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Slow Code wrote:

Maybe Cuhulin should change his nic to Ex-Lax?

such only contiue the BS you claim you don't like to see
bless you and grant new mental health to you

soon

SC