Old June 28th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

Default antenna analyzer

MFJ-269
What do you think of the antenna analyzer?
or do you like some thing else?
Rich

Old June 28th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

Rich wrote:
MFJ-269
What do you think of the antenna analyzer?
or do you like some thing else?
Rich

They do not work well in high RF environments such as many repeater
locations where there are other transmitters close by.
Old June 28th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

Try eHam reviews.

Pete

Old June 28th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

"nitespark" wrote in message
Rich wrote:
MFJ-269
What do you think of the antenna analyzer?
or do you like some thing else?
Rich

They do not work well in high RF environments such as many repeater
locations where there are other transmitters close by.

What Does??

Even after 30 years in the business, I still see people hook up their $50K
service monitors to a site antenna and blow the input.

There is not much use of setting up HF at a repeater site, because
ionospheric propagation is the predominant mode, also it puts you line of
sight to a whole lot of man made noise.

Although these things claim to work at VHF, I notice they have an SO239 so
how seriously do they expect to work at those frequencies.

Mine saved me lots of time setting up my 9band Butternut vertical, but they
eat batteries, so I cobbled up my cordless drill battery to work with it on
the roof.

Old June 28th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

JB wrote:
"nitespark" wrote in message

Rich wrote:

MFJ-269
What do you think of the antenna analyzer?
or do you like some thing else?
Rich

They do not work well in high RF environments such as many repeater
locations where there are other transmitters close by.

What Does??

A Bird 43 does nicely.

Even after 30 years in the business, I still see people hook up their $50K
service monitors to a site antenna and blow the input.

I have a friend who lives at a pretty high location (3000 ft MSL) and
about 4 miles from a broadcast (TV/FM/Commercial) site at 4000 ft. He
cannot use an MFJ analyzer at his house because of the induced RF.

There is not much use of setting up HF at a repeater site, because
ionospheric propagation is the predominant mode, also it puts you line of
sight to a whole lot of man made noise.

The OP never mentioned anything about frequencies. Just a question
about the analyzers in general.

Although these things claim to work at VHF, I notice they have an SO239 so
how seriously do they expect to work at those frequencies.

They also claim to work at UHF. While the SO239 is not the best
connector for those frequencies, you can get by with it. Motorola
manufactured a bunch of radios with SO239 connectors that used the
800Mhz band.

Mine saved me lots of time setting up my 9band Butternut vertical, but they
eat batteries, so I cobbled up my cordless drill battery to work with it on
the roof.

I use the AEA units. I have the CIA HF analyzer and the VHF/UHF analyzer.

Old June 28th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

"JB" wrote in message news:EEu9k.78$713.50@trnddc03...

Although these things claim to work at VHF, I notice they have an SO239

so
how seriously do they expect to work at those frequencies.

It probably doesn't make much difference below 400 MHz, in
practice.

Old June 28th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

JB wrote:
"nitespark" wrote in message
Rich wrote:
MFJ-269
What do you think of the antenna analyzer?
or do you like some thing else?
Rich

They do not work well in high RF environments such as many repeater
locations where there are other transmitters close by.

What Does??

Even after 30 years in the business, I still see people hook up their $50K
service monitors to a site antenna and blow the input.

There is not much use of setting up HF at a repeater site, because
ionospheric propagation is the predominant mode, also it puts you line of
sight to a whole lot of man made noise.

Although these things claim to work at VHF, I notice they have an SO239 so
how seriously do they expect to work at those frequencies.

My MFJ 269 came with a Type N connector.

Old June 29th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.swap

I use the AEA units. I have the CIA HF analyzer and the VHF/UHF

analyzer.

I've had the MFJ (259 and 259B), AEA V/U (calibration was horrible), Autek,
Timewave AntennaSmith (algorithm problems) and finally the RigExpert AA-200.
It is a vector device, small, long lasting rechargeable batteries and allows
for firmware updates in addition to archiving via the USB. For a portable
device, this one wins hands down in the under $1K category.
Dale W4OP

Old July 1st 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.swap

Well I guess everyone else hates theirs.
Darn, mine works just fine.
Has saved me a ton of time doing tuning work.
Guess I will just ignore the rest and keep using it.

Old July 8th 08, 09:24 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
MFJ-269
What do you think of the antenna analyzer?
or do you like some thing else?
Rich
Hello,
I've had my trusty MFJ antenna analyzer for many years, and couldn't think of being without it. Definitely one of the most useful tools a Ham could have around the "shack"

Regards,
Joe Cro N3IBX